Will I ever have sex again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I ever have sex again? Will I ever have sex again?

Unread 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Will I ever have sex again?

Just 4 days out from my TVH and of course, Dear ole Aunt Flo had to have the last word. In fact, she's screaming at the top of her lungs. My doc said not so much as ibuprofen 4 days out so I'm trying very hard to deal with just relaxation techniques and a heating pad. I'm not the type that leaves work for ANY reason, but 2 hours in to my shift today, I raised the little white flag and surrendered to the demands of my body for rest.
I've seen a lot of ladies here posting about the amount of time it took before they could be "intimate" with their partners, and as bad as this may sound, I'm sooo angry at Aunt Flo for ruining any chance of that for me before my surgery. As the relationship I am in, is still a little nontraditional, and I'm unsure as to where it really is going, I was hoping that I could ...er, stock up? 6 weeks seems like a very long time to me, and the fact that I don't know what will happen within those 6 weeks,..well, I'm afraid I will not be having "relations" again for much longer than that. Maybe it's just my wacked out hormones, or nerves about all that's going on. I find it odd that this seems to be my biggest concern right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Re: Will I ever have sex again?

Yes, you will have sex again! It's totally normal to be concerned about sex post op. It's a big part of our lives and is a huge question mark as far as what things will be like. I was very worried about it to. The last time I had sex with all my parts I cried afterwards because I was saying goodbye to my uterus and my body as I knew it. It's a difficult time.

I was cleared for sex at 8 weeks. I didn't feel ready so we waited until 9 weeks. I usually have a good sex drive but I had no problem waiting- I was so scared to try sex again. It does take some time and a patient partner. Communication is key. There are no guarantees on what it will be like for you post op. We all have different experiences.

I am sorry your period came and ruined your last chances for sex before your surgery. That really does suck.
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM

I am not in a relationship right now, and I am feeling like I will never have sex again as well.
I know people here say they still enjoy sex after the surgery but I don't know, what if I get into a new relationship and find that sex doesn't work for me anymore. It is definately something I worry about.
Almost makes me want to get back with my ex before my surgery so that I can at least find out what sex is like with him before I attempt it with someone new at some point in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM

You will have sex again. Being fully healed from this surgery is very important - you don't want to damage your vaginal cuff (the closing they will create at the top of your vagina) and other tender internal tissues. It is important that you follow the restrictions to the letter.

Sex can be different after surgery. Some women say it is better, some say worse, some say it is about the same and everywhere in between. This is something that can take some patience and understanding.

Good luck..

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM

HI,
No you wont have sex for awhile but thats just part of it to feel better. I started my period right before surgery so when its all said and done it will likley be some where around 10 weeks before I have sex again thats if im cleared at 6 weeks. So just waiting and healing. Take care of yourself during recovery so you dont have set backs. I will be 3 weeks on monday its going faster than I thought it would. Blessings for a speedy recovery : )
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Aunt Flo showed up right before my surgery as well. I was so disappointed! I haven't been released to do the deed yet. She said at least 2 more weeks! It hasn't been easy but I want to heal so I don't mess anything up! Good luck!
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM

I AM WITH YOU!!! I have been bleeding since the day after Valentine's day. I think we've had sex once since then. Surgery scheduled for March 8th and I literally looked at him last night and said - we have to figure out how to have sex one more time beforehand.

We're getting by with happy thoughts of how much our sex life will improve when I'm not suffering 3 weeks out of the month anymore.

And don't forget - OUTERCOURSE!!!
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Be very careful post-op with any type of "stimulating" activity during your restriction period. From my understanding, it is probably best to abstain from any sexual activity. The tissues have much healing to do and should be left alone. Even external stimulation may be a problem. Please discuss this with your doctor - you only get one chance to heal right.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register