What should I expect with my tummy? Is there a lot of post-op weight gain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What should I expect with my tummy? Is there a lot of post-op weight gain? What should I expect with my tummy? Is there a lot of post-op weight gain?

Unread 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
What should I expect with my tummy? Is there a lot of post-op weight gain?

My surgery is scheduled (DaVinci Vaginal Hyst) for Monday, March 5th. Aside from starting to freak out today about things that really weren't bothering me at all a few days ago - like what if I can't ever enjoy sex with my husband again...I'm holding up. I'm having so much pain that I know this is a must for me. I'm curious, though, as to how much belly swelling to expect and if there is a bunch of post-op weight gain. This would totally be depressing bc I just lost 20 lbs. over the course of 6 months and had been trying to get much more active until this hit me. My plan is to jump back in the saddle again with diet and exercise as soon as I am given the go ahead by my doctor, but I don't want a big tummy for the rest of my life either...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Re: What should I expect with my tummy? Is there a lot of post-op weight gain?

I am two weeks out from my DVH so I can only speak from my experience to this point. I have had only minimal swelling which seems to get worse toward the end of the day. I think everyone's swelling is different. I have heard of it being excessive for a long period of time, to hardly any swelling. Everyone's body handles recovering differently. I had lost around ten pounds before surgery and have lost 9 more since. My appetite has not been good so I think that's the cause but I'll take it! I was working out around 3 days per week and will be anxious to get back to that, but I think it will be a while. Good luck with your surgery. I know you will do great.
Unread 03-02-2012, 04:48 AM

Hi Rae Of Sunshine,

My Doc told me that there is no medical reason for putting on weight after a hysterectomy. She said that people put on weight because they are less active for a while and in many cases as they are feeling better their appetite increases. Also those who suffered heavy periods were likely to be loosing calorific value whereas without periods this will stop. Exercise when we are ready and a balanced diet should do the trick.

With regard to swelly belly - my belly is far flatter than before surgery due to the removal of a huge fibroid - HOORAH
I do however have swelling above the incision but I really think this will go when more healing takes place. The tummy has been through a mighty trauma especially for those who had an incision and hopefully time will improve this.

With regard to sex I think we should try and avoid putting ourselves under too much pressure with regard to this. It is nice to think of us all recovering very well and starting all over again with the intimacy aspects of our relationships - remember the excitment of getting to know our partners........... well we have that to look forward to again and 2nd time around it will hopefully be wonderful for us all

Kallinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM

I am 5 weeks post "DVH", I have still not returned to work/normal daily activities and I'm a lil under the weight I was at surgery. Swelly Belly has not been bad the last two weeks, I can wear my mostly anything I try on (even though i do like my pj/excercise pants when I'm home). I don't forsee sex being any different (from external experiences thus far). Best thing to do is take it easy, rest and heal properly!!!

Life is better after hysterectomy.....I'm a believer
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:11 AM

i had a TAH and i thought i was stuck w/ huge overhang after surgery but it slowly goes down.and like many women have stated @end of the day it does flare back up ,i guess due to daily activities.
my dr. said post weight gain depends on your level of activity.i have lost 10lbs post surgery.i even looked up googled-how much uterus,cervix and such actual weighs.you'll probably bloat a little for the 1st 2-3 weeks due to the i.v.solution they give you but it does go away.
remember to try to walk some after surgery,this does help w/ your gas issues and does help everything fall into place.
good luck to u
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Thank you so much for this comment. I have been wondering about what to expect weight wise. I have dropped 5 lbs already as nothing really tastes the same right now. Not sure if it is allergies that have kicked up or stress that has taken away my appetite. But I will be mindful about walking around that is what the PA told me yesterday - the soon you get up the sooner the gas will pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinatas View Post
i had a TAH and i thought i was stuck w/ huge overhang after surgery but it slowly goes down.and like many women have stated @end of the day it does flare back up ,i guess due to daily activities.
my dr. said post weight gain depends on your level of activity.i have lost 10lbs post surgery.i even looked up googled-how much uterus,cervix and such actual weighs.you'll probably bloat a little for the 1st 2-3 weeks due to the i.v.solution they give you but it does go away.
remember to try to walk some after surgery,this does help w/ your gas issues and does help everything fall into place.
good luck to u
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM

i only had the gas in hospital and from what i've read i was lucky,some women says its horrible for a good week.
since you are getting to plan on your surgery,why dont u ask dr. about if you could go ahead and start stool softners or if its ok to do this before surgery.this might help u more than starting after surgery.i found having 1st BM extremely painful and i didnt know i was supposed to take stool softners til the 5th day of no bowel movement.i got really lousy discharge instructions.i think also where i had had 2 c-sections and i am a certified nursing assistant they thought i knew,but this is the one thing i didnt know,or remember w/ taking narcotic pain meds plus what they give u in your i.v.i didnt walk alot in hospital but i did @home,laps around the couch.lol...
Unread 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM

I will look into this. I still have some left from the myomectomy I had on the 16th.
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:05 PM

I'm 6 weeks out from having that procedure and my stomach is still somewhat swollen (kinda 4 months pregnant look) but it has gone down since before the surgery when I looked 7 months pregnant.

I actually lost weight after the surgery b/c for the first couple of days my appetite was non existent. In fact one thing I'd suggest is you pick up some meal replacements such as Slim-Fast or Boost, chicken broth or whatever you eat when you feel like you can't eat. It was about a week before I was eating 1/2 meals and I'm still not eating like I use to.
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Thank you all for the comments. This resolves many of my questions and fears/concerns. I had a "freak out" day yesterday and was crying on and off all day. I had previously been really at peace and ready to begin feeling better. This shocked me to be feeling all these "feelings", but my pre-op appt. kind of put everything in perspective and made it all very real. I appreciate all your input and am just trusting that I am going to make it through this alright one day at a time! I am believing the same for all of us! Thank you to all my sisters for your encouragement through this process!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register