scheduled and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scheduled and scared scheduled and scared

Unread 03-02-2012, 06:53 AM
scheduled and scared

Hi all I'm new to the sisters and scheduled for a TAH on Tuesday march 6... but I'm so scared but so ready for this journey-- any info suggestions much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Re: scheduled and scared

Check out the "hysterectomy checkpoints" area on this site. It gave me tons of info. Sorry you are scared right now. I cried every night the few days leading up to my surgery. Even with all the major issues I have suffered with for the last 7 years, it was still very unsettling. I totally understand where you are at.
This is what helped me at the hospital (I had to be there 3 nights and 4 days): my brand new adorable mini pillow pet. I had a TAH, so it was great to hold over the incision and provide a little support/pressure as I sat or stood up. I also loved my chapstick, lotion, phone, and a family picture. I was really nauseated, so be prepared for that and don't be afraid to ask for something to help. Zofran is great, and phenegran works even better, but knocks you out for about 6 hours.
Make sure to change your sheets so you can come home to a clean bed. Get a pillow pet, a nice ice bag, some movies to watch, and a book to read.
I will say a prayer that you have peace the next couple of days and that your surgery goes well and recovery is a speedy one.

Christine
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Being scared is very normal - this is MAJOR SURGERY! All of the doctors and nurses will take very good care of you. They will see you through this...

You can check out the pre-op information as well as the post-op information.

I would suggest you get meals in your freezer for easy cooking. You should also buy loose fitting, comfy clothes. I spent 12 weeks in sweats and old shorts. You will need help around the house - cooking, cleaning, laundry, dishes, shopping, etc. The surgery will make you very fatigued - just showering and getting to the couch will be an accomplishment those first weeks. You will need to take probably 3 to 6 weeks off of work, perhaps more depending on your job.

Know that we are here to help you through this. Post your questions, concerns, emotions, etc. It really does help.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2012, 10:09 PM

It's normal to be scared. I was terrified pre op and very sad. You will be well taken care of at the hospital and you will be fine.

My most valuable item post op was my heating pad. I wish I had taken it to the hospital with me. A body pillow is also a good idea for home. You will need stool softener and gas x. The gas pains are very bad and the first few BM's are difficult. My big splurge was a really pretty nightie to wear post op. it made me feel better to have something pretty when I felt so gross.

Explore the site here is a ton of great info on here. And please post all your questions, we are here to help.
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM

I'm in the boat with you! I'm on the 7th and have to wait til 12:30 without anything to eat or drink!!I will be watching what you post along the way. Best wishes!
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:53 PM

My surgery was also in the afternoon. I thought it would be difficult waiting but somehow the morning went by. I didn't feel hungry at all.
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:11 AM

Hi,can totally sympathise with you.My TAH is on 10th March.Have never been so anxious about an op before.Am being a total mad woman at the moment,doing all sorts of random cleaning at weird hours!!Keep browsing this site though as it does help & you will pick up lots of great tips.Good luck & keep positive.xx
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:20 AM
scheduled and scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace35 View Post
Check out the "hysterectomy checkpoints" area on this site. It gave me tons of info. Sorry you are scared right now. I cried every night the few days leading up to my surgery. Even with all the major issues I have suffered with for the last 7 years, it was still very unsettling. I totally understand where you are at.
This is what helped me at the hospital (I had to be there 3 nights and 4 days): my brand new adorable mini pillow pet. I had a TAH, so it was great to hold over the incision and provide a little support/pressure as I sat or stood up. I also loved my chapstick, lotion, phone, and a family picture. I was really nauseated, so be prepared for that and don't be afraid to ask for something to help. Zofran is great, and phenegran works even better, but knocks you out for about 6 hours.
Make sure to change your sheets so you can come home to a clean bed. Get a pillow pet, a nice ice bag, some movies to watch, and a book to read.
I will say a prayer that you have peace the next couple of days and that your surgery goes well and recovery is a speedy one.

Christine
Thanks so much Christine.. I'm going shopping tomorrow and plan to get all these items!! keep the prayers comin!
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:29 AM

thanks for all the info ladies!! will keep
you updated!
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2012 View Post
Thanks so much Christine.. I'm going shopping tomorrow and plan to get all these items!! keep the prayers comin!
Will keep praying for you. Keep us updated and look forward to seeing you on the "post-op" board.
By the way, I forgot to mention a body pillow. That has been great for positioning around my back, butt and legs. Happy shopping! Enjoy your last few days out and about for awhile. Hope the weather is nice where you are at.

Christine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register