Help me prepare ~ Looking for suggestions or good advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help me prepare ~ Looking for suggestions or good advice Help me prepare ~ Looking for suggestions or good advice

Unread 03-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Re: Help me prepare ~ Looking for suggestions or good advice

Add to some of those.

Clean your room, kitchen, living room, bathroom. Spring clean now so you don't have to do it later. We're taking things today to the Goodwill to donate.

-Get a grabber stick so if you drop something you don't have to bend and hook it with a cord so you can carry it.

-I went to the Old Navy and got lounging PJ bottoms, they were only $12 and they're cute.

-Pillow Pet to hold to your tummy incase you sneeze, laugh, cough, Ride in the car, you might want that before you go to the hospital so you can leave it in the car for the ride home.

-bottled water

- couple of boxes of Kleenex for those weepy times.

-ear plugs so you don't end up putting a pillow over whoever is sleeping next to you SNORING (like my DH is right now)

-Get some movies out that you might want to watch, book or two that you want to read.

-I'm getting a couple of cartons of my favorite Haagen Dasz ice cream

-Heating pads

-Cold packs

-buy some prunes, fiber bars what ever to keep you moving.

-I bought a couple scrub pants, black & navy so if we go out I can wear those. Just b/c we have people coming down to visit the 2nd wkend that I'm recovering. That way if you have a hot flash you can still stay cool.

-We have a deck off the back of the house and I have a chair that I can sit in of I need to cool off (mood or flash) lol

OH and I have a nice box that I bought at JoAnn's Fabrics, that I can put some candies in for the nurses and hospital staff when they come in.
I made one up for the Doctor as well that I will take w/ me monday for my pre-op. As a thank you for her kindness and understanding during this.

Good luck. 9 days to go. I'm in the single digits now. WOOO HOOO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Prune Juice! Dear god it made me feel old to be drinking it and I found the taste vile... BUT it was the only thing that helped me go the first two weeks. The colase was useless! And Gas X helped a lot too. And I resisted the idea of walking to relieve the gas, but it really does help. I also like the idea of writing down when you take your pain meds. Most days I felt on top of it but other days I had no idea when I took my last dose.
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM

What helped me the most was getting my house in order- cleaning and getting all the bills and groceeries lined up for afterwards. Getting comfortable clothes picked out for after surgery- even having the bed turned down and meds on the nightstand with a glass of water helped. Doing as much preparation as possible helped me to feel more in control of a situation that was essentially out of my control. Good luck sister, big hugs of support to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Wow, I am loving all this wonderful advice. I think the top thing on every ones list is: Gas-X and getting the house organized, oh and comfy loose clothing.
I feel so blessed to have such wonderful advice. Honestly, I can't think outside the box (so this helps me a lot).
Thank you,
J
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Just a thought - if anyone is kind enough to say "Let me know if I can help" - arrange it now! It's hard to call someone up and remind them they offered - much better to know in advance. A few of my friends said they would come and keep me company during my recovery - I told them I'd text them when I was ready...and then I DID!!! Don't assume people will know how to help - they won't! - and be prepared to say what you need, and to ask for it. My experience has been that only one person has made a specific offer to help (ie "I'll do this on Tuesday!"), everyone else needed to be asked - but they were all happy to do it when I did ask. So, do tell people what you think you'll need, and don't be afraid to simply say "I'll need someone to watch chick-flicks with me!" xxx
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Like fishchick my bedroom is on the 3rd floor. So once I was up there was no coming down. So, my camp included a chest frig. and small microwave. My kids like to help by making sure to stock it every evening.(and steal a snack or two) I am 10 days post op and just now getting appetite back fully so most favorite things were in small portions. Fell in love with applesauce, jello, and fruit cups. I am H2O challenged, so I got the "Fruit 2 O" from Sams to fool myself

If possible get a pedicure. I got a bright color and design. I couldn't imagine if I had to stare at my feet for weeks and they weren't cute
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:28 PM

Pain nomo ~
I have my pre-op tomorrow, so I will be stocking up for the long haul.
I am lucky to have a one-level home and a 11 year old stay at home-schooling girl in the house.
Blessings,
J

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register