Surgery this Tuesday March 6 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery this Tuesday March 6 Surgery this Tuesday March 6

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Re: Surgery this Tuesday March 6, I don't know if I can go through with it

It's important to know that a hyster isn't a quick fix. Some people think its an easy surgery that some women have to avoid the inconvenience of their period. I find this annoying. It's a serious surgery and a difficult recovery. Please educate yourselves before your surgery, it helps to be prepared for the recovery. There are also real risks for complications and we need to be aware of those while making our decision. There are no guarantees with this surgery. It is possible to have issues with hormones, vaginal cuff healing, urinary problems and sexual dysfunction. I had to weigh these risks against my health issues and my quality of life.

I can't say I'm entirely happy with the results of my surgery. But this isn't the fault of my excellent surgeon, and I have no more risk of cervical cancer. It had to be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind words, advice and personal stories. I am still not at peace this am and my surgery is tommorow morning. I cried myself to sleep last night while my boyfriend held me. Poor thing, I don't think he has any idea what is going through my mind, he's being so supportive. I think I would be this scared even if I was at peace with having a hysterectomy. The idea of any surgery frightens me. I would most likely be this scared of a myomectomy. One of the surgeons said I would go under anesthesia for this as well and there was a possiblility that this would even have to be done abdominally. That's the thing, if I go with a myomectomy instead, what are my chances of getting another fibroid and needing a hysterectomy anyway? I definitely do not want to go through two surgeries. Do any of you ladies know the statistics? Did any of you go through a myomectomy(s) and experience reoccuring fibroids? Is it normal to be as frightened as I am even if you are 100% sure that a hysterectomy is the right choice? I hope I'm not sounding like a chicken, I feel like I am being one. I don't want to regret my choice, but I think that even if I postpone the surgery, I will be just as scared later as I am now. Southernbella, you are so brave, good luck to you tommorow! Abagayle, good luck to you too! You and the other women that posted are all so brave and sweet for replying to my post.! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers as well.
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM

Rainbow, sending you huge
Yes, it's normal to be this afraid. I was petrified. And I cried so much before and after surgery. My heart breaks for you because I know exactly what you're going through right now. My DH also held me at night while I couldn't sleep and just kept crying. Being a woman isn't easy, it takes great strength of mind and character to face the challenges we face in life. Knowing we need the surgery doesn't make it any easier.

My first thought when I woke up in my room was "I don't feel any different". I don't know what I expected, but on some level I thought everything would be different. I'm still me and the people who love me don't look at me any differently.

Trust in your doctor and trust in yourself. You are strong and you can do this. And you will be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM

This really is a personal decision. With being 37, you may choose to just remove the fibroid this time in order to hold off a hysterectomy. My mom had problems with fibroids that her doctor controlled with hormones. They were just starting to get out of hand when she went through menopause and now hasn't had any problems since (been over 15 years).

I had a D & C for polyps years ago and I was very satisfied with the temporary help it gave me. The bleeding slowing increased each month over the years after the procedure.

I'm only 35 but opting for the hyster because I've now had 4 abdominal surgeries (D & C with poly removal and 3 c-sections). I feel like I have adhesions as a result of all of these surgeries. I don't have fibroids. I have an enlarged uterus and my doctor thinks I have adenomyosis. She offered me the option of trying an ablation first, but says her gut tells her this is adenomyosis and she thinks I'll end up with a hyster. After all of my abdominal surgeries, I feel it would be better to go straight for the hyster. Also, I'm thinking about expense. I would have to have a tubal with my ablation. That means general anethsia and surgery expense. I don't want to spend thousands on an ablation/tubal only to turn around in under a year to spend thousands on a hyster.

It's a tough call. If I simply had fibroids, I'd be willing to try removing the fibroids first if it could be done vaginally. But for me, I'm done cutting into my uterus. All of my c-sections has most likely caused my adenomyosis.
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM

It is perfectly normal to feel scared even if you are 100% sure you are making the right choice. A hysterectomy is major surgery. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise! I knew with 100% certainty that I wanted to be done with my very broken uterus, but I was still scared out of my mind and cried my eyes out in the days leading up to the surgery.
I don't know anything about the success rate of a myomectomy. This would be something your doctor can/should answer for you.
Sending lots of hugs your way.

Christine
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM

I have to put my two cents in here. Last year I asked for a tubal and ablation as I was done with babies and was also done with horrific periods. Cysts in both my breasts and ovaries made the Mirena IUD a fail for me and I am unable to take anything hormone-related due to my sister's recent diagnosis of breast cancer. I was offered a hysterectomy but decided to try the less invasive treatment first. I have been in hell ever since. Thanks to that decision, I suffered severe complications and have been hospitalized 3 times. I underwent a cystoscopy in Oct due to trapped blood in my uterus which they now feel is adenomyosis. Sometimes things do not work out as planned and now my count down is on....25 more days. I too am afraid and certainly not looking forward to another surgery and recovery...HOWEVER...what I am looking forward to is ending this chapter of my life. Moving on, healing, no more periods and my husband and I enjoying life along with a fulfilling sex life without the threat of pregnancy. This will be my 4th surgery within the past year but I am looking beyond it. I wish you luck with your decision. I am sure you will find what is right for you. God Bless!
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Sweet Rainbow,

I don't know what your belief system is but you need to call on it ASAP. (((hug)))
Than you eneed to get a pen and paper and write this:

Reasons to get a Hysterectomy
say a prayer first tand write what comes to you mind first.

Pros.............................................................. Cons
(Example idea)
-No more period...................................................-Hemeraging
-No more trips to the ER......................................-Trips to the ER
-No more embaressing "accidents"......................-Never knowing when it will start
-Freedom to go and do whenever........................-home b/c.....

and so on....

Say another prayer of thanks and I'm sure your answer will be right there in front of you why you decided to have the surgery in the first place.

When I read that you get weak and have to be rushed to the ER b/c or the blood loss, That kinda scared me for fear that you are home along and have one of your children finding you unconcious in a pool. (not to be graphic)

REMEMBER "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

Keeping you in my prayers. (((hugs)))
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Big hugs, Rainbow! I had my lavh 19 days ago, because of multiple fibroids. I'm 39, and my family is complete. I guess my decision was easier than yours - as well as 5 fibroids the size of small oranges, I also had multiple very small ones. The Dr said he couldn't be confident that he'd get them all, although I was given the option of trying. My mother's menopause was in her late 50s. I knew there was a good chance of fibroids returning, even if he did get them all, and couldn't face going through the last few years again. Post surgery, I was told by the registrar who assisted at the operation that I'd made the right decision. She said "It was a mess in there - you'd have been back here again."
None of this means that hysterectomy is right for you - truth is, any decision we make is a leap of faith. It's so early in my own recovery, I can't say if I've definitely done the right thing. And I'll never really know if I could have gotten away with just having the fibroids removed.
I was really, really scared before surgery. I lay awake the night before, holding my husband, wondering when I'd get to do that again (3 days later FYI!) I fought tears every time I thought of my kids. On my last day at work, one of my colleagues came to say cheerio and I snapped at her that I WAS coming back, I wasn't about to die! Bless her, she totally understood and hugged me!
Like I said, my decision was easier than yours, I knew I wanted to do this and wanted it over with - but yes, I was very scared.
Don't do this if you don't want to - your uterus, your call! A positive decision to take a different course of action is not cowardice - it's being proactive about your treatment. But, if you decide that this is the right thing, then you ARE brave enough! Really!
Hugs and prayers - let us know what you decide to do, xx
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Sneding lots of prayers your way!! I feel the same, I get my Hysterectomy next thursday and I am having a very difficult time. I guess it is normal. I have also been going through the depression..... I know this is not an easy choice, Please updaate and let us know how you are doing. Lots of hugs your way!!!
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Just checking in with you Rainbow. I've been keeping yhou in my prayers that your mind will be calmer. Just let us know, you have a whole support system here ready to embrace you in what ever you decide. (((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register