23 and full hysterecyomy on Tuesday. Freaked out, any advice?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

23 and full hysterecyomy on Tuesday. Freaked out, any advice?? 23 and full hysterecyomy on Tuesday. Freaked out, any advice??

Unread 03-03-2012, 02:04 PM
23 and full hysterecyomy on Tuesday. Freaked out, any advice??

I have multiple, painful lumps in my pelvis along with the painful periods and huge blood clots. They are saying its endometreosis so they are doing an open incision hysterectomy and taking my ovaries and removing the masses. They are going to have me give myself shots of hormones every months. I am just wondering if anyone has advice? I'm am pretty worried about going through menopause at my age :S
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Re: 23 and full hysterecyomy on Tuesday. Freaked out, any advice??

Hi Akcutie - I am so sorry to hear that you are having a TAH so very young. I hope you have researched your options and made the best decision possible for your situation. I too had endo but didn't have my TAH/BSO until my mid forties. Will you being keeping your uterus? I hope everything goes well for you and remember this site has a wealth of information and keep asking questions.

Hugs,
Teresa
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Thank you! I have done lots of research and gotten 3 doctors opinions. As nervous as I am about it, I know its the best choice. They are taking my uterus too. With my history of surgeries and cancer they dont want to risk letting it go. The lump I have is very large and growing and not in a place they can see well in their scans, so they were going to remove that anyways to do testing. While I am bummed, I CANNOT wait to be out of this pain!! I dropped a cake out of the oven (burnt my foot) because I got one of those deep stabbing pains. I am just ready to have that over with. This website has already put me a little more at ease!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM

I wish you a great deal of luck!
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM

Thank you!
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Bless your heart AKcutie!
Hugs and prayers your way
J
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks!
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM

AKCutie I am 22 now and I had this done a year ago so we are similar in age. I have been through hell and back in the hormone jungle of not feeling like myself and its been crazy but I finally feel like I am out of it now and I am so much happier! Getting your hormones balanced may not be easy but you WILL be you again and I just want you to know that I am here to give you advice on what to do and what you should try and what has and hasnt worked for me. It's going to be really hard to figure it out at first because no one really has experience in the field of how to help a young 20 something year old hormonally but dont worry girl I can help! Us young girls gotta stick together! Good luck on your surgery and you will be in my prayers! I look forward to giving you advice about hormones soon <3
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Thank you so much! That is comforting to know! She is going to put me on 1 cc of estrogen in a shot once a month. When they tied my tubes 2 years ago, they irritated my ovaries and I had trouble with my hormones ever since. So I am hoping that that has at least gotten me a little used to what is going to happen. Quick question, do you have a preference on pill vs shot?? My dr is fairly confident the shot would be better for me because it is the most consistent.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM

Here are my stats first of all: 5'6" , thin body type, 22 years old.

Whatever you do DONT DO THE PILLS!! I wasted almost a year on the estradiol pills and they were HORRIBLE! The problem is that we need a ton of estrogen at our young age so we need alot of pills to feel good. The issue with that is oral methods make your liver release SHBG (Sex hormone binding globulin) which will bind up not only the estrogen in your body but your thyroid hormone and testosterone etc as well. I didnt have a metabolism for months while I was on the pills because of this and I thought I damaged my thyroid. The troches do the same thing for me because I always end up salivating so much when they are in my mouth and if you swallow any of it, then its the same as taking pills with the SHBG.

Then I tried the estradiol gel which I liked at first but no matter what high dosage I try, it never even lasts 12 hours with me. I dont feel like I really absorb the gel so well but I think it might be worth it to try because it works really well for some people. Right now, I am on the cream and I already LOVE IT! Its a lipoderm base which absorbs really well and instead of just being estradiol, its a bi-est combination with 8mg Estriol / 2mg estradiol. I so far take this twice a day ( I know it sounds like a lot) and I am still adjusting but I am not sure if the reason I love the cream so much is because it has estriol or if the cream just absorbs better for me. Either way, I am not questioning it! I have researched alot about estriol and I am pretty sure a part of my soul came back once I started taking it. I feel younger and its really good for your skin too! It's still a work in progress though... I am pretty sure I am needing more estradiol.

Now, another thing you NEED to know that people dont really realize is that you need to be on progesterone EVERY SINGLE DAY! But only a little amount. My mood is MUCH more stable throughout the day once I started it. In our regular cycle, progesterone is the dominant hormone for two weeks. So, I thought ok I need to only take it for two weeks and mimic what I had before. The problem is, after the two weeks were up, all my symptoms came back from progesterone deficiency. I talked to multiple doctors about this and they told me the issue is that as girls, there is ALWAYS a minimal amount of progesterone in our system that the ovaries produce. Our ovaries produce it every day of the month, just a lot more for two weeks. So, I have been experimenting orally with progesterone (it does NOT release SHBG like estradiol pills do) and am finding that taking 20-25 mg of progesterone orally once a day at night is making me a much happier complete person. It helps tons with anxiety and I feel like the same person all day. I dont think people realize how big a piece of the hormone jungle solution this is. Now, if I were you girl, do what I am doing and start with the estrogen balance but find a compounding pharmacy and have them make you a TON of 5mg progesterone capsules and start experimenting.

It sounds horrible but it was a hot mess trying to find my progesterone amount. When I took just one 5 mg capsule at night, I would have a panic anxiety attack at 8pm the next day. I realized this was a drop in progesterone that was causing it, so I upped my dose to eventually 25 mg a day and I dont ever have that panic anxiety attack anymore because the dose lasts the whole day. So, dont freak out if you have a reaction like that half way in the day when you experiment. It just means you need to take more the next day.

Now, as far as the shots, I am seriously wanting to try them if the cream doesnt fully work out. I really like the idea of it because you can get a high dosage with it without the problem of SHBG but I am not sure how long it lasts. Another thing I want to try are the pellets but I cant even think about that until I figure out the best estradiol level that makes me feel happy.

I hope this helps. I have spent tons of money talking to doctors and I have tried lots of things so I can help!

Good luck on tuesday girl! <3

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register