Surgery for 3/8 ~ still undecided about cervix ~ keep or remove? (friable cervix) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery for 3/8 ~ still undecided about cervix ~ keep or remove? (friable cervix) Surgery for 3/8 ~ still undecided about cervix ~ keep or remove? (friable cervix)

Unread 03-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Surgery for 3/8 ~ still undecided about cervix ~ keep or remove? (friable cervix)

Now, I know there have been so many posts on this, but here is mine and I really need some help, or maybe it is just reassurance!!
Ok, so my pre-op was yesterday and I asked my doctor about vaginal surgery. He did a mini-exam (ouch and yes I am bleeding from it) and said he couldn't do it because my cervix was "way up there" , it had a lot of tension (he couldn't pull it down) and he was not set up for laproscopic, which is the only safe way he could do it. (he said I could go to LL which is nearly 2 hours away as they are set up for it,but I said no thank you) I asked him about my cervix and he said that normally he removes them. I requested to keep mine and he agreed, saying if that's what I wanted. (I am also keeping my ovaries). After my appointment, I messaged my cousin who is a nurse practitioner and she mentioned that my bleeding problems sounded like what they call a friable cervix. So, now I am thinking maybe I should have it removed after all. I have been reading through posts on the good and bad and am so confused and undecided. I have until Wednesday morning (he said he would double check with me before surgery), but want to be able to call Monday and let him know. We both agreed that I can always have it removed later if need be, but I don't really want to go through surgery again. I'm just afraid that once it's gone, that's it and if I'm not happy with it being gone, there is nothing I can do about it. And I did ask him about the vaginal support thing and he said it really had no effect on that (having it removed or leaving it).

My husband isn't helping either. He now says to just take it out. It's not his body! And I'm afraid of our sex life being non-existant. Also, the only women I have actually talked to in person all had their cervixes removed and are happy with the decision to do so.

So, here's my one last request: I want to know opinions and feelings on both sides. I know if I have it removed it means no more pap smears, no more bleeding and no
chance of cervical cancer. If I keep it, I have all that to "look forward" to, by chance. I guess I am looking for reassurance that removal is probably the best option because I am sick of bleeding all the time. It really, really ruins the mood (and the sheets, panties, etc...)

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Re: Surgery for 3/8 ~ still undecided about cervix ~ keep or remove? (friable cervix)

You are the only one who can make the decision about keeping or removing your cervix. If you are looking for reassurance about having it removed, then I can share my good story. I had a TAH/BSO, so my doctor took all of my "girl parts". I wouldn't change a thing. I am feeling fit and comfortable, and there has been no real impact on my ability to orgasm, except that they are a little more work to achieve, but more intense when they arrive. I hope this helps!
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Re: Surgery for 3/8 ~ still undecided about cervix ~ keep or remove? (friable cervix)

I also had a TAH BSO. My gyn onc said to keep doing pap smears as they also check for vaginal cancer. I know that there is some disagreement in the medical community on that, though.

For me, orgasms are not as intense as before (I miss the muscle contraction), but they are more frequent. Go figure. Who knows what the body will do.

You need to make the decision that is right for you and your health. Don't let the sex portion of this make the decision for you. You will be able to work this part out.

Good luck to you....

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 04:08 PM

Thanks. It took me a while, but I have finally made my final decision and I am (I think) happy with it. All weekend, I focused on the positives and that helped. I also spoke with my aunt who had a vaginal hysterectomy years ago (turns out at the same age I am now). She had everything except one ovary removed (the other one was diseased). I had pretty much made up my mind at that point, but it helped to speak to a blood relative who had similar problems. So I am having a TAH, but keeping my ovaries. I don't think leaving the cervix would solve some of my problems and I don't want to go through surgery again...As another positive thought, I told myself no more stained panties! LOL And another aunt suggested saving up the money I would have spent on feminine products and at my year anniversary, buying myself a treat. Maybe I can talk my husband into a trip to Visctoria's Secret!! Thanks for the support! Surgery is day after tomorrow, not 3/8 like I mistakenly put. Hopefully I will be back on here with words of wisdom and positive vibes.!
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Good luck with your surgery.

We will be waiting for you on the other side....

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM

I am also on the day after tomorrow. Also doing TAH keeping both ovaries. Good luck to you; know that I will be thinking of you as I go to the hospital!
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:38 PM

I had my cervix removed and have no issues having orgasm. In fact, with out the pain I was having, the orgasm comes much easier for me now. Quicker and more intense.
Everyone is different but for me it was the best thing I ever did...
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM

I found out today that my doctor is planning on taking my cervix and I am very okay with that. I have had problems in the past with inversion and lots of spotting from irritation.

My doctor told me that a lot of newer doctors seem to leave them in because it does take longer and is more difficult to remove the uterus and the cervix together, but he thinks it is better to take a little more time and attention and take them both together and do a vaginal cuff.

And he also said yes when I asked him if you could still have mini periods when you leave the cervix. Really don't want to chance that. My odds are always stacked against me when you talk percentages.
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Mathwiz,
Thanks! I will be thinking of you as well and hope your surgery goes well. I am more scared of recovery than of the actual surgery. Weird, I know, especially since I have a high tolerance for pain!
Thanks for all of the replies...Here's to joining the princesses!
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM

I have decided to have my cervix removed. My problem is bleeding, so I really don't want to risk future bleeding by leaving the cervix. I did research online and found that it's not always just a "mini period" but that some women end up with heavy bleeding again and have to remove the cervix in a separate surgery. I also have a lot of cramping and since the cervix is part of the uterus, I'm thinking I may continue to cramp if I leave my cervix.

Like you, I have a sensitive cervix that bleeds or spot any time I have an exam, or if my cervix gets bumped during sex.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register