My boss wants me to come back after 2 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My boss wants me to come back after 2 weeks My boss wants me to come back after 2 weeks

Unread 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
My boss wants me to come back after 2 weeks

Hello
I had TAH 2 weeks ago. My boss wants me to come back to work for a few hours Monday. I am not ready but not sure how to make him understand I am not ready to come back to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Re: My boss wants me to come back after 2 weeks

Resist!

It really is not worth putting your long term recovery at risk due to a daft idea by an uninformed boss!

This is a major operation. Not only do you have external stitches, or superglue like me, but there are lots of internal ones as well.
All your organs have to settle into new places.
You will be really tired, and should have a nap every afternoon, like I did.

Print off the hysterectomy checkpoint above, if possible, and use them as ammo.
No lifting, pushing, pulling, stretching. Even sitting at a desk squashes the abs and organs.

If you give in and go in for a few hours, the boss will think you are fully recovered, and expect you to be able to do everything
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Sometimes you need to stand your ground, and if you go in, you'll be expected to keep coming in, and not just for a few hrs. You'll look fine so it won't be easy to explain why you really shouldn't. What does your Dr say about returning to work? I'd say you aren't cleared by the Dr yet. Remember disability pay and possibly FMLA are messed up by going back for a "few hours". Your boss should back off and not ask you work questions or ask you to go against Drs orders. It's major surgery and 2 wks is too soon to return. Please don't give in, it's a slippery slope and it is guaranteed to not be just one day. Some Drs will even provide a note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Oh honey. Please do not allow your boss to put guilt on you. Take care of yourself because only you know what's best for you! I know not all companies have sick leave etc but hopefully you did take FMLA leave. I understand the full financial impact of being out of work trust me, but there is no way you should go back before u are truly ready and the dr releases you. If you don't take care of yourself now it will only be worse in the long run. Please take care of you.
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM

you cannot go back, plain and simple if your dr. has not released you. Ask your dr to write a letter stating how long standard recovery can range from 4-6 weeks maybe.

I didn't go back until almost 9 weeks-that was at part time at first also and this past week was my first full-time week back and I'm exhausted beyond belief, but no pains or other issues, I can tell it will take a while.
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM

If you do go back this early you are seriously putting yourself and your recovery at risk. You only have one chance to heal right. I do not know your situation, but to me no amount of money is worth my health.
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Do not go back to work at 2 weeks post op from a TAH. Be firm but polite, don't let him guilt you, Get a doctors note if you have too. Whatever it takes.
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM

Not sure where you live, but in CA my doctor put me off for six weeks on State Disability. There are laws to protect you from any retaliation or having to go back before your doctor releases you. I was lucky in that my boss's wife had a hysterectomy years ago, and they both understand just how long it takes to fully heal. Good luck, stand your ground and talk to your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register