Scared of how you feel after a Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of how you feel after a Hysterectomy Scared of how you feel after a Hysterectomy

Unread 01-05-2002, 05:02 PM
Scared of how you feel after a Hysterectomy

I guess I'm more afraid of how I'm going to feel afterwards. I'm only 42 and in the past 7yrs I have had 2 surgeries, one to remove a cyst and ovary, the other to remove a cyst, fibroid tumor,and do a D&C. If I would decide to go with the hysterectomy they would take the only ovary I have left since I have a growth on it. If I could skip surgery altogether I would, but the pain just does'nt go away. Is there hot flashes, do you have to take hormones, do you feel the same about sex, is sex the same? Maybe someone has some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2002, 05:19 PM

The pain I've felt since the surgery is nothing compared to how I used to feel pre-op. Make sure and take your pain meds as scheduled at first even if you don't feel too bad at the time. A biggie in pain control is preventing it from getting out of hand in the first place. If you let the medicine wear off and the pain level shoots up, it's much harder to get back down. Some have said on here that they didn't even want/take pain meds from the start and felt fine, but if you're afraid of the pain, accept it (pain meds) with open arms and don't feel bad about it.

If you keep your ovaries, you don't normally have to take hormones and you may or may not experience hot flashes. Sometimes, the ovaries can go into shock for a little while and cause some symptoms of menopause or pms. Sometimes, the ovaries work just fine and you experience no problem. You didn't say whether or not you plan to keep yours. Some of these questions are something you should talk with your dr about.

Most women have happily reported that there is either no difference in their sex lives once they are able to resume it and some have said it's even better than before. A few, unfortunately, have said they've had a decrease in libido, but it could be because they aren't taking the right hrt, haven't given the hrt long enough to work, or are still too early in recovery. Only time will tell for you.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
Unread 01-05-2002, 05:52 PM

I'm the opposite, I'm afraid of the surgery part, once out of the hospital, I'll feel much better. I'm only 32, have only had one laproscopic surgery which doc had planned to laser any endometriosis if he found it, well I had so much he couldn't see to laser anything now I need a hysterectomy because it's the only permanent fix to this problem plus he found fibroids. If I tried the drug's it would just come back and I'm done having kids so I want it fixed and over with. Why waste more years hurting. I won't be able to keep my ovaries because they'll just cause the endo to come back. I'll be on NO hormones at all for six weeks to kill off any remaining endometriosis that he may not be able to get to, then he said he'll put me on the patch for hormone replacement and testosterone gel if needed for libido. The patch is small and goes on your butt cheek. Using it rather than pills because the liver doesn't have to process it, it goes right into your blood. I know there are women out there who's sex lives aren't as good after surgery, but there are tons out there who say it's as good or even better than ever. Out of four people I know well who've had this surgery, they all say sex is great and they feel better than they've ever felt so they've helped me deal with doing this alot. I know it's going to be hard those six weeks, but after that I'm hoping to feel great. I think some of it is emotional, if you are upset about having to have a hysterectomy, you may be more pessimistic about the outcome. I felt a little blue about it at first, but I'm done having kids, and with all the pain, blood, tiredness, etc. I just want to feel better so I'm actually looking forward to getting it done and over with so I can feel good again. I know it sure isn't going to HURT my sex life cuz sex hurts so much right now, anything's got to be an improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2002, 06:19 PM

I too had laser surgery for endo. Was told then that I would probably have to go back and have it done every 4 - 7 years. Well, it's been 10 years since that time. I'm tired of hurting so much during my monthly, sex sometimes hurts. I'm NOT having anymore children, so I'm VERY much ready for this surgery. I'm not sure if I'll get to keep my ovaries. I'm going to try, but if it's bad enough, I'll let him take them and deal with the hormones afterwards. I just want to feel good and not tired anymore.
Unread 01-06-2002, 06:04 PM

HI! THIS IS MY FIRST TIME POSTING AND I JUST WANTED TO SAY THT I AM SCHEDULED FOR MINE ON THE 14 OF JAN AND I JUST FOUND OUT ON WEDNESDAY....PRETTY SUDDEN FOR ME BUT I HAVE BEEN ALL OVER THIS SITE WHILE I WAS SUPPOSE TO BE ON BED REST AND I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER JUST KNOWING THAT IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS I CAN ASK THESE NICE LADIES!!!

I AM 30 YRS OLD AND HAVE A SEVERE CASE OF ADENOMYSIS AND AN INVERTED UTERUS. I HAVE BEEN HURTING FOR YEARS. I HAD ENOUGH ON CHRISTMAS DAY WHEN I DECIDED TO GIVE MY HUSBAND A SMALL GIFT OF LOVE AND WHEN I STOOD UP I HAD WHAT SEEMED LIKE A BOATLOAD OF BLOOD. MY DOCS HAD BEEN TELLING ME SINCE I WAS 22 THAT IT WAS JUST A MATTER OF HOW LONG I WAS GOING TO TRY TO DEAL WITH IT.

MY MOTHER HAD UTERINE CANCER AT AGE 32 AND BOTH OF MY AUNTS HAD PRECANCER CELLS. MY GRANDMOTHER DIED WITH CANCER. MY 10 YR OLD DAUGHTER ASKED ME ABOUT MONTH AGO IF I WAS GOING TO GET CANCER. MY DOC HAD BEEN WARNING ME THAT I WAS AT HIGH RISK. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A WEEK WHEN I WAS 16 YEARS OLD FOR ENDO. THIS HAS BEEN A PART OF MY LIFE AND I AM READY TO MOVE ON!

MY RESPONSE TO YOU HONEY IS ALL THE PAIN IN THE WORLD FOR 6 WEEKS IS GOING TO BE WORTH WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH FOR 15 YEARS....

I AM HAVING A POST OP PARTY!!!!

GOOD LUCK
KKAREN

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register