New with Post-op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New with Post-op questions New with Post-op questions

Unread 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
New with Post-op questions

Hi! My name is Leigh. Am new to this site and I am learning so much from reading about everyone's progress and worries beforehand. It is helping me get perspective on that which is to come.

I am scheduled to have a supracervical vaginal hysterectomy march 21. (I came across the acronyms last night, but can't find them again.. would that be an SVH?)

I have been in pain for 16 months now (adenomyosis & dysmenorrhea). From the beginning I have been told that a hysterectomy was in my future. I didn't want to believe it and tried managing in other ways. In the last 3 mos. the pain has been unbearable with AF's lasting 17-20 days per month. I decided it is time to get my life back.

I mostly look forward to moving on & past this chapter of my life. However, I am worried about some of the silliest of things... I am worried about orgasims... will they be weaker? I am worried about 4 days after my surgery, my youngest is having her 2nd birthday (will I be able to walk downstairs and smile?)

I asked my ob/gyn about orgasim and his answer was that if my sex life was good before it will be good after. But he is a man and I don't think he *really* knows... perhaps he does... IDK.. I didn't ask him about the planned party and I didn't want to get "lectured"... ps!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Re: New with Post-op questions

Worrying about orgasms is not silly at all and being concerned about your little one's birthday party is also not silly. My original surgery date was March 6th and I was worried about how I'd be at my son's birthday party on April 14th. And almost all of us our worried about post-hyster orgasms.

Fear of the roll my uterus plays in my orgasms is one of the main reasons I canceled my hyster the first time. The truth is, no one can tell you what sex will be like for you after your hyster. It depends a lot on whether you are sensitive to the uterine contractions during orgasm or not. Those that are, tend to have weaker ogasms post hyster and those that aren't may find little difference.

My doctor's response was of course the answer most of us get, which is the clitoris is the most sensitive part and that it still functions post hyster. But, my doctor did say that of course with the uterus gone, it will no longer be there to give any sensation.

The truth is, I have no clue at all if I'm sensitive to uterine contractions during orgasm. I feel contractions, but I don't know how much is the pelvic floor and how much is my uterus. Those that have pain with sex due to their female issues tend to be far more satisfied with post hyster.

I'm hoping and praying for the best outcome. Things may not be as good in the bedroom after my hyster, but I know the rest of my life will be better without the constant cramps.
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM

thank you for the information Abagayle. After I posted I found the threads about post-hyst sex concerns.

I do feel the deep uterine contractions w/orgasim. However, I have also noticed that the adenomyosis has curbed the pleasure somewhat and it feels good, but almost hurts in a way.. not sure if that makes sense. but it feels good for a bit, but then aches. after I have an "O" my uterus contracts for an hour or so. Before it would feel good and the contractions for an hour or so felt good. Now they hurt... not hurt enough for pain meds, but hurt like someone is squeezing my uterus and my uterus feels bruised... way TMI.. sry 'bout that.

So I reckon it's a trade-off. I just don't want to be disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM

E.L.N.,

I do understand. My orgasms are now followed by mild cramping. It's not painful so much as unpleasant.

If our doctors are right and we both have adenomyosis, then from what I've read it's progressive and will simply get worse with time.

What's very strange is that I do have a very deep, uncomfortable pain when I put in a tampon, but not during sex.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:38 PM

I just want to make a note; you said you were having a supracervical vaginal hysterectomy. Please be sure that the doctor that is doing the surgery is really letting you keep your cervix as usually the cervix is removed during a vaginal hysterectomy as normally the uterus cannot pass through the cervix vaginally. I understand, though, that there are a few rare doctors that are able to leave the cervix while removing the rest of the uterus vaginally and you might be a lucky lady that has found one of these rare surgeons. Be sure to ask and get back to us.
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Your concerns are certainly valid. I was worried about my orgasms post op too because I had intense uterine contractions. My GYN (male) and PCP (female) both assured me this would not be an issue since I would still have my clitoris. I do notice a huge difference with my orgasms and I really miss the uterine contractions. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's horribly disappointing and I cry.

I completely agree with Abagayle, it seems that those who had problems with sex before surgery are more likely to be happy post op. I was very happy with my sex life before so I don't like these changes at all and I miss my sex life very much.

Regarding your daughters bday, its hard to say. Everyone feels differently post op. you'll probably be able to come downstairs for a little while but I would arrange for others to do all the set up and clean up.
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
I just want to make a note; you said you were having a supracervical vaginal hysterectomy. Please be sure that the doctor that is doing the surgery is really letting you keep your cervix as usually the cervix is removed during a vaginal hysterectomy as normally the uterus cannot pass through the cervix vaginally. I understand, though, that there are a few rare doctors that are able to leave the cervix while removing the rest of the uterus vaginally and you might be a lucky lady that has found one of these rare surgeons. Be sure to ask and get back to us.
Thank you for posting this. I assumed that I was keeping my cervix, as he only mentioned taking my uterus. He didn't say that the procedure meant he *had* to (remove my cervix) ... I called and spoke to the "surgical secretary"... she told me that in order to keep my cervix it would be a different procedure. She is leaving a message for my dr. to call me back. Anyone here have experience with and without the cervix? which is better? or is their no difference? I know the recovery time is less w/the vaginal hysterectomy, but I really don't care about that. I have healed well and quickly with past surgeries.
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Whether you keep your cervix is a personal decision you need to make with the advice of your doctor, based on your health situation. Some women choose to keep the cervix if it's healthy. Keep in mind that the cervix is part of the uterus, so leaving it in means you could continue to have mini-periods.

I had my cervix and uterus removed. I miss my uterus, but not my cervix. Hope this helps

Unread 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM

I have no idea about orgasms...I guess time will tell. My feeling that is if you love your partner...you will find pleasure. My surgery is on the 30th, just a week shy of Easter. My biggest concern is making sure that my Easter Bunny duties are fulfilled. I will have to plan and shop early...it will help distract me. Let your DH help with the b-day party festivities. I think you will surprise yourself...watching your little one enjoy their b-day will probably make you feel better! Just don't over do it...and remember a 2 year old has NO IDEA what to expect for a b-day...so don't be too hard on yourself. You can always celebrate at a later date. If I tell my 4 year old it's her birthday she just yells "YAY!"....never mind the date. Best of luck!
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM

LittleStar--I have already started cleaning the house and have the gifts wrapped, party favor bags made up already. Am planning to do what I can before the surgery and let my dh and brother do the rest after the surgery. I even got the easter baskets ready for the kids and have a few more things to buy, but am going to get as much done as possible, so I do not have to worry or feel guilty.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register