Trying not to think | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying not to think Trying not to think

Unread 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Trying not to think

good evening ladies.. hope you are all well, trying not to worry too much!!! I have made the decision to have a hysterectomy, doc says she can do it vaginally which is good. I am also having a bladder sling at the same time. Of course I'm worrying myself to death.. I keep thinking that because this is totally elective on my part am I going to create new problems. Have heavy, clotty periods, random bleeding out of the blue and stress incontinence. I have had the ablation 4 years ago, helped a lot but things are getting worse now.
The plan is to take uterus, cervix, leaving ovaries and the bladder sling. What if I really screw up my sex life? I think it's bad now because I bleed after sex, what if it's worse after surgery?? I think it's annoying now that I pee when I exercise or when I ride the horse, how annoying will it be if I have problems with the sling? What if I can't pee because of the sling.... uggghh.. I KNOW that it will all be better in the end once it's all over with, it's just all the "what ifs"....
I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, just feels better to talk about it....
Thanks for listening!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Re: Trying not to think

Hey there!

If only we could see into the future and know what decision is best, especially a decision like this! There is no way to know what will be encountered in surgery, but I think you've come to the right place to share insight and feel better just by talking it out.

I don't have real statistics, but I'm guessing the success rate without complications is way higher than those with residual issues.

You're certainly not alone in your worries and concerns. I think it can feel like a very scary process. Hang in there, hon' -- stick around and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Unread 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Before surgery is a very scary time. Your mind fills with the what ifs... But what you know is that what you have now does not work and needs to be fixed. While it is not guarantee for your situation, I agree with toonces that the successes outnumber the problems. Keep in mind that you normally hear more from those who have issues than the ones that don't. Just human nature.

in there, sweetie. We are here to help you through this...

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 01:17 AM

The subject of this thread-Trying Not to Think. I was the opposite. Sure, I had the pre surgery nerves; totally normal. But, all I could think about was how great just about every aspect of my life would be after the hyster. I was realistic, no doubt. I knew just the no periods ever again thing would be fantastic. I'm not talking about those spunky girls riding bicycles in white lycra bike shorts periods, I'm talking about those hemorrhaging, "special" underwear clotfest periods. I worried about sex too. I had a dVh/BSO and am on HRT now. Sex pre hyster was great; huge orgasms and great drive all planned around the 4-6 days I was less painful and only lightly bleeding and not some hormonal crazy lady. Fast forward 5 months; holy cow!! I feel better than I could have possibly imagined. I'm happy and even and I have color in my cheeks and lips because I am no longer anemic. I've lost a bit over 30lbs -12 of which was my 24 week sized, fibroid filled uterus. I have energy that I suspect is what normal people have and take for granted. Sex is GREAT!!! Spontaneous and no cervix to be bumped hurting me. My orgasms were always deep and intense and involved uterine contractions - or so I thought. The post hyster orgasms are magnificent. They are strong and deep and so much easier to obtain now. The contractions I feel now are clearly not uterine. To be honest, I don't care what's contracting; I'll take it every time. Best of all, I've been having multiple orgasms now. I'm going to need a special parking permit soon for my rubbery legs. There's nothing wrong about asking "what if?" just remember that the "what ifs" aren't always bad. Take care. You'll do great, I know it.
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:12 AM

Sharona19, I loved your post, made me smile.

What if's , yes I think about the what if's as well,

thats the scary part, but Ive been tryin to think about, its gotta be better then what Ive got now.

good luck and wishing you all the best luv2tallyho
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:41 AM

Wow!!! Thanks you guys rock!!!!! I am so happy that I found this site. Several years ago I had a breast reduction and stumbled across a site very similar, breast health online, just put the www in front of it, put all the words together, add a dot com and that is the website, they won't let me post it here just yet
and holy cow!!!! what a fantastic place to go for information... same as hystersisters, just in regards to the ta-tas.... it covers EVERYTHING, even breast cancer. You read the scary stories and you read the success stories...
I will keep ya'll updated, no date scheduled yet, waiting on the uro and gyno to get together for a date they can both be there...
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Sharona19, what a wonderful post! I hope to find the courage to have my surgery tommorow and to have a success story such as yours. TinaS, I wish you all the best tommorow and hope that you have a smooth recovery, hugs
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM

I can speak about the bladder sling....I had one almost 15 years ago. Two kids 18 months apart and severe asthma issues made it a necessity. Since then I have had 3 more children and the asthma is certainly no better but the stress incontinence is a thing of the past. Best surgery I ever had! Very successful and no complications to this day...wish I could say that about the rest of life! It was done a long time ago so it was an abdominal incision, took a while to heal but I have never had any leakage problems since. Good luck!
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Rainbowsend, TinaS: you'll do great! I know it. How could we not be better after this surgery? Now that I'm on the other side, I'm almost angry at the fact that I allowed myself to suffer for so long. I'm also amazed at how strong women are. You don't really think about how much you sacrifice in order to make sure that the part of the world that you are in control of is running smoothly until all of the obstacles are removed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I can leave my house without pads, tampons, cleansing wipes, a spare pair of panties, a towel for the car seat, drugs for pain, Gatorade to try and keep my fluids up so I don't pass out and on and on and on......I folded laundry yesterday and all my panties are pristine, I even have several white pairs now. It's glorious. This surgery is LIFE CHANGING. I've always felt blessed in life, but now I'm over the moon. I can't wait to compare notes on the other side. Recovery is long and has bumps in it, but it's temporary. When you wake up in recovery, you'll notice immediately that you feel better. Of course there is pain, but it is the right kind of pain. It's healing pain. Good luck to you all in your surgery and recovery : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register