Scheduled dVH/RALH Pre-op and daVinci (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op and daVinci  (children mentioned) Pre-op and daVinci (children mentioned)

Unread 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Pre-op and daVinci (children mentioned)

Had my pre-op appointments with my Gyn and hospital this morning and got some great answers to my questions!
I am having the daVinci procedure and will have my cervix removed with my uterus. I am so excited about being able to have the daVinci procedure for my doctor says that even though he has only been able to perform just 6 of these since they received the equipment, the results have been good with patients having so much less pain and faster recovery.

At the hospital they took and typed my blood and I was able to speak with the nurse about all my concerns and she said it would be noted that I sometimes have issues with low blood pressure and vomiting with anesthesia. And my concerns about the IV can be addressed with either a numbing injection before trying to get the IV inserted or either going ahead and putting it in my arm.

I have to be there at 6 in the morning and my surgery is scheduled for apprx. 10:00. And when I get there I will be pampered with an batedine douche and an ENEMA :O
Aren't I excited?!?!?!?!

So for the rest of the day I am finishing up laundry (clean sheets when I get home on Wednesday) and making and frosting cupcakes. Today is our middle son's 15th birthday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Re: Pre-op and daVinci (children mentioned)

Good luck!

Mine is the 8th and I get to do bowel prep the day before. I would rather do that than an enema. I hadn't heard about the douche part. I'm sure they are saving that thrill for last minute.
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM

My surgery is on the 16th and I had my pre-op today. I really lucked out "NO BOWEL PREP"! She honestly did not feel there is a need to do one, as long as I ate really lite the day before. She said having the daVinci you are pumped full of carbon dioxide (this is to push the abdomen away from the bowels). She also said that if I wanted to feel better about it, I could have some miralax on my own accord.
Wishing you ladies the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM

My doc said that bowel prep has come and gone, and they don't do them any more! I was *very* relieved since I'd heard such lovely stories here. She did not mention and enema or douche, but I wouldn't be surprised. I guess a douche would just be strange, but not as bad as an emema, until you throw that betadine part in. Yuck! Just what I'd love to see after surgery, stains of freaky yellow-red, like you're a rusting truck!
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM

Hi ladies. I had my DaVinci surgery 6 days ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how well I have done. I had my uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes removed. My uterus was very enlarged and I had grapefruit size fibroids. I also have low blood pressure and don't tolerate meds well but I communicated this to my dr and the anesthesiologist. Right before I went to surgery they gave me Zofran under my tongue for nausea and put pepcid in my IV. The only time I had a little nausea was about 4 hrs after surgery when they were making me drink a lot because I was having trouble trying to pee. Again the zofran and it was gone. I had a healthy appetite by evening and no more problems. My belly is still a little swollen and slightly bruised but not bad at all. I can't say that I have ever was really in pain, just uncomfortable. Make sure you have someone around you to help get up and down because that is crucial. I am only on ibuprofen. The first day I walked to the bathroom and back but by day two I was taking short walks and on day four started walking down the street and back. It helps to make your tummy feel less full. My dr pushed as much gas out as she could before closing me up and I only had minimal gas, mostly on days 2 and 3. For me the worst part of all of it was the anxiety and waiting and the bowel prep. I wasn't allowed anything other than broth, jello, and liquids along with the magnesium citrate and it upset my stomach. If I had to do it again I would just eat a light diet the last few days and skip the bowel prep. I guess every doctor is different on this. Anyway I wish all of you well and a great recovery. DaVinci is amazing and def the way to go.
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM

My Davnci surgery is tomorrow at 7:30am. Doing the Magnesium Citrate bowel prep tonight. Have a large fibroid. Ready to feel better.
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM

I had DvH, bowel prep but no enema or douche... Every doc is very different.

I healed quickly with DvH... it was the easiest of my 5 surgeries I ever had...
Worst part GAS...
Happy Healing..
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM

Great to hear such wonderful stories of the daVinci.

I was also told that the catheter would be put in after I was sedated and would be removed before I awoke. Yes!!! Just means I will be out of bed sooner to make a bathroom trip, but I know that helps with the soreness. And I hate a catheter!

Anne - too funny about the rusting truck. If that happens, I know I am going to remember what you said and laugh!
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM

When you mentioned the catheter I thought of something funny to tell you. I hate cath's and my Dr promised to take it out while I was still under and she did. For the first few hours after surgery I was having trouble peeing and they kept giving me liquids and told me to keep trying. I would sit there and nothing but everytime I would go to get up I felt like I was going to so finally I just stood up and it worked great. We had a great laugh about that......but after a few times I was back to normal. Whatever works lol!!
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBella View Post
Great to hear such wonderful stories of the daVinci.

I was also told that the catheter would be put in after I was sedated and would be removed before I awoke. Yes!!! Just means I will be out of bed sooner to make a bathroom trip, but I know that helps with the soreness. And I hate a catheter!

Anne - too funny about the rusting truck. If that happens, I know I am going to remember what you said and laugh!
Oh my gosh! Your surgery is TODAY!!! Good luck and lots of prayers!! Thanks for the idea of having them take out the cath while still under. I'm going to do that too!!!! You'll have to let us know about the rust

Chicajalee - thanks for the idea of standing up! Who knows what will happen when I'm there, but I never would have thought of that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register