Had My Pre-Op Today... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had My Pre-Op Today... Had My Pre-Op Today...

Unread 01-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Had My Pre-Op Today...

Hi Ladies,

I had my pre-op today for surgery on Friday. They did all of the standard stuff - history, drew 5 tubes of blood, blood pressure, chest x-ray and ekg. I did find out a few interesting things though.

While the nurse was checking my blood pressure she put one of those finger clips on me to check my oxygen breathing rate. The machine kept beeping and beeping so she kept changing fingers. Finally, she asked me if I had acrylic on my nails. When I told her that I did she started to smile and said "that explains it"! Then she told me to take off my shoe and sock and put the finger thing on my toe. It worked right away. Turns out that the acrylic blocks the reading of the machine. She told me to tell the OR people that they have to use my toes. Learn something new everyday.

I also asked her if it was ok to use the patch to quit smoking before surgery. She said that quitting now was a big and explained that when you quit your lungs produce more phlegm than they previously did and that is not a good combination for the anesthesia. She said they would give me the patch in the hospital if I wanted it at that time. So, I guess I have a little less than a week to smoke and then I'll become a smoke-free

I'm getting really nervous but can't wait for it all to be over. Thanks so much for being there for me!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Had My Pre-Op Today...

I just had a manicure on Friday and have a pedicure scheduled for Monday before my pre-admission tests. I have an acrylic overlay on my nails. I guess I'll buy the bottle of polish so that someone can do my toes over since I won't be able to bend come Tuesday!!!! I think they can attach the pulse-ox to your ear also.

Thanks for the tip on quitting smoking, I was wondering about that. My friends have all been hounding me to quit. Imagine that, I can tell them the doctors don't want me to right now!!!!

You answered two of my questions for Monday!!!!
Unread 01-06-2002, 05:32 AM
Had My Pre-Op Today...

Hi Fran and Molea !

Just wanted to share something with both of you. I never discussed stopping smoking with my Dr. preo-op. I would have been way to nervous pre-op to even think about quitting then anways !

I had my last cigarette on the way to the castle. Haven't smoked one since (last cigarette 9/17). I did not have the patch or anything in the hospital, and I was a heavy smoker at 2 packs a day.

If you really want to quit, your stay in the castle is the perfect time to do it!

Best of luck to you both !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2002, 09:05 AM
Had My Pre-Op Today...

Every hospital must be different.

Two days prior to my TAH, I had a "fill" and a pedicure. The hospital said that having polish on was, "No Problem."

Wishing you both an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Unread 01-06-2002, 09:29 AM
Had My Pre-Op Today...

Hi ladies!

I also have acrylic nails and they had no problem with the pulse-ox. The colored nail polish does, however, cause it difficulty in reading, so I had my nails painted clear the day before my surgery. I got a new set that day too since I knew it'd be awhile before I could come back. Some other reasons for the pulse-ox not working could have been due to the circulation in your fingers.

It is true that when you first quit smoking, your lungs produce more phlegm. That's why you may notice more coughing when someone first quits. Just another way the body has of ridding itself of things.

Good luck to all you LIWs. I'll be thinking about cha.
Unread 01-06-2002, 10:53 AM
QUIT!!QUIT!!!QUIT!!!!

Hi,
I Quit the day of my surgery. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The hospital I went to didn't even allow smoking on the grounds. For me I was more preoccupied with passing
They wouldn't give me any solid food until I passed
Taking your pain meds should also help keep the cravings down. I don't remember having to many cravings the first couple of days. I thought about it but didn't dwell on it. I think it was because I also really wanted to quit. Since I was in there to take my health back I figured I might as well take control of all of it. Good Luck to you no matter what you decide.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Had My Pre-Op Today...

I feel SO good for those of you who quit smoking and talked about it on these boards! I sure hope you're taking that cigarette money you're saving and buying yourselves something wonderful as a reward!!!
Unread 01-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Had My Pre-Op Today...

WOW! Saving $ on cigarettes AND pads/tampons!!!! What cha gonna do with all that money? Save it up and buy yourself a really nice gift for all you've gone through

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register