Just a few questions........ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just a few questions........ Just a few questions........

Unread 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Just a few questions........

Hello ladies, I have been wondering about a few things and hopefully someone on here will have the answers Will I gain a lot of weight after the hyster? I am getting cut on the bikini line, dr said the fibroid was too large to do it any other way Does it take a long time for the scar to fade? I am also worrieed about nausea, I get very sick to my stomach from any type of pain medication. Since I will be on it for a little bit this has me concerned. The thought of throwing up with my stomach stitched up is not a happy one. Also, I have seen the lists on what to bring with you to the hospital, what should I bring to wear home? Just thinking about the stitches in the stomach. I do not yet know if i will get to keep my ovaries, I have heard many negatives about hormones but I can't imagine going into menapause right now. Sorry for the rambling, I am just stressed. This has all happened so quickly it doesn't seem real sometimes. I know it is the right choice just going through a lot of emotions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Re: Just a few questions........

alecia777 .... I had TAH with bikini cut. Surgery was Monday am and I was released Thursday. The surgery went so well and I am very happy. No crises during recovery but I had SOOOO many questions and concerns too, so it was great to come here and get lots of information!

I don't know how old you are, but I think the whole weight gain/loss factor depends more on your individual health/activity/metabolism than on the kind of surgery you are having. In my case, I had been exercising and dieting and lost 40 pounds in the year before surgery. I am in my mid-50's and my goal was to get through the operation and heal well - I did not gain or lose a single pound in the last couple of months, but some people report either gaining OR losing, depending on their own issues. (i.e., if you tend to pig out on junk food when you are bored or stressed, you will probably do that during recovery. If you tend to lose your appetite, you may find yourself losing weight after surgery.)

A lot of the threads here will mention 'swelly belly' and I think that will be a likely situation for you... if you have 'fat clothes' in the house - especially those with elastic waists, they will come in handy during recovery so you aren't tugging tight clothes over your sensitive areas. I highly recommend buying the kind of binder offered here, which is only 9" wide. In my experience it is much more comfortable and helpful than the binder the hospital gave me, which was wider and very irritating for me.

To get yourself home from the hospital, have loose clothes and a small pillow to put between your belly and the seatbelt. You will find a small firm pillow to be very helpful if you cough or sneeze --- or laugh --- during the first few days of recovery.

You have time now to get your home prepped so you will have spaces to rest and feel comfortable. There are suggestions here about sleep position. In my case I found that during the first week it was too hard to get up from a lying down position, so I slept propped up on one of those bedrest pillows with the arms... after a couple of nights I learned how to get up if I needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and come back to fall asleep afterward.

Talk to your doctor about things like nausea from pain meds; there are probably many options available to help you there. Welcome and please keep coming back. There is a lot of help and comfort here!
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:41 PM

I can't answer as far as weight gain. Initiall the scales will show you are but thats from swelling j fluids. I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow & am back to my pre surgery weight. Wear something comfy. I would a comfy sleep outfit home lol I wasn't getting out for anyone to see me anywhere anyways. The scar will fade over time but you will always see it. This is the 5ft time I've had to have the same area open. You wont see it wa a bathing suits, undies etc on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Hello - I had TAH on 2/13 and also had a bikini cut. The weight gain I had after surgery was all the fluid they push through you while in surgery and after surgery. It took about 2 weeks for it to all go away. Don't let this discourage you at all! I made the mistake in getting on my scale at home and saw that weight gain but realized it was fluid.

After I went for my one week follow up to get the staples taken out my doctor said I could start putting Mederma or vitamin E on the scar if I wanted. You can ask your doctor when you can do this or what they recommend.

Express your concerns to your doctor about the nausea with pain meds. They will work with you on this.

I wore a pair of loose warm up pants and a big tshirt to the hospital and that is what I came home in. Whatever you are comfortable in is what you should wear. I also bought some yoga pants for after surgery and they were a life saver!! They are very comfortable. I got mine at WalMart. They are the Danskin yoga pants.

This is a great site and you will get awesome help for any questions you have.
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:09 PM

TAH on 10/14 with bikini cut. It is now a dark pink with still some numbness. I still put cocoa butter on it every day. Wore pajamas home from hospital. The first month I lived in pajamas (with a bra). Then sweats for a few more weeks. Stayed in bed the whole six weeks like the doctor ordered. Took about 2 weeks before I could sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. Lots of fruit juice and fruit since the beginning. Still need stool softeners every once in a while. Kept my ovaries but somehow managed to have my entire menopause in the last three months. Started Premarin 2 weeks ago. Going well.
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Alecia777
Take a deep breath because everything will be okay. A bikini cut is alot easier than an abdominal cut which I had especially in terms of coughing, sneezing ect. My best advice is to start walking as soon as possible. I use to sing " Put one foot in front of another and soon you'll be walking out the door... " Believe me you have to have a sense of humor because you will heal quicker.
As for the nausea associated with the pain medication.. Don't worry have your Doctor put in an order for Compacin and as soon as you feel nausea tell the nurse and they can immediately give you an injection. This will help alot but if you do have to vomit hold that pillow into your stomach. It will be okay. Its just the fear of the unknown.
And also if they do decide to take your ovaries, menopause isn't that bad. I entered mine at the age of 37 and I am unable to take hormones. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of sex drive. I guess that's why they invented toys. Hubby doesn't mind it! Lol :-)
I wish you all the best and if I can help you in anyway please contact me. Just remember to ask questions to your doctor and medical team and always remember Positive Energy Travels Far!
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM

HI There, It has been two and a half years since I had my emergency total hysterectomy but I do remember it well. I am in Canada and we generally come home the same day after this type of surgery so I came home the evening after I had a full total hyst., crazy huh??? I wore very comfy clothes, I treated myself to a few pairs of new PJ's before my surgery and I wore a lot of night shirts, I hated have anything on my tummy. I also wore the surgery panties they give you in the hospital and brought a few extra pairs home with me, they are a life saver. I wore a lot of yoga pants, I bought the waist extender from the hystersister store and it helped a lot when I wanted to wear regular pants but was too swollen. I was swollen for a long time after, almost 2-3 months but I have severe endo so I am swollen alot of the time. For nausea I would talk to your dr. there are many good medications you can try,I suffer from severe nausea too and I yse a prescription daily. A pillow under your knees and on either side of you is a lifesaver too, I basically make a nest for myself to sleep in. I slept sitting up as it was very hard for me to get out of bed when laying down. My hubby slept in our spare room so I could get some good rest and he wouldn't accidently hit my tummy in the night. A pillow for the drive home too is also very helpful. About the weight gain I initially lost a lot of wait after my hyst. b/c of my nausea and lack of appetite, however, I have since put it all back on, I would say mostly due to the HRT's I am on now. The scar is usually low enough that you won't see it with a bathing suit or under wear so you shouldn't worry too much about that. I hope this is helpful to you, this site was truly my lifesaver after my hsyt. I felt very lost and overwhelmed after and very emotional and the ladies here kept me sane, I felt very blessed to have them as support. I wish you all the best with your surgery, I hope it all goes well and check in with us and let us know how you are doing. Take care, your fellow, hystersister,
Nicole aka, Monchichi
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM

It will be 2 years since my hyst. on March 9th. The best thing for my recovery was to have some small, frozen, prepared meals and it was the best time to cut out the caffiene and fried foods and take care of my sensitive stomach. No spicey food. Rice/mashed potatoes with boiled veggies to start. Oatmeal for breakfast. Applesauce for snacks. Lots of water close by and cranberry juice every morning. I did not eat meat for the first week and had small portions of fish or chicken in the weeks after. Gas-X for gas/bloating. Have stool softeners on hand if needed. The local pharmacist was very helpful in explaning the different products. Walking was very important. Start slow and take as long as you can to recover. Do not push or twist or strain yourself. Take recovery time to heal and heal well. Take it slow and steady.
I feel great now and my recovery was an opportunity to rethink how I treat my body and take care of myself!

Best Wishes,

Colours
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Thank you all so much!! I love this site so much!! I would not have thought of the pillow for the ride home. I also wanted to ask.... How long does it take till you can be VERY active again?? I do mission work in the summers in Nicaragua, I will be going this yr on July 16th will will be about 4 months after the surgery. Do you think i will be healthy enough at that time? Thank you all again for your suggestions!! Love, hugs and kisses to you all!!
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Alecia777
You should be fine. Just watch out for lifting and remember to pace yourself. I choose to wear my belly binder a good year after my surgery, but I am over weight so the extra support felt good when I was active. Another thing to think about which I did was switching to natural fiber clothing like cotton or wool ect. It helps alot with the so called "hot flashes ". I even changed my bed linens to higher quality cotton. Hope this helps! When is your surgery so I can say alittle prayer for you. Always remember Positive Energy Travels Far.... :0)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register