Just a few questions........ - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just a few questions........ Just a few questions........

Unread 03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Re: Just a few questions........

Hi Alecia, I am on day 4 post LAVH. Today, I feel like I finally turned the corner. I'd really love to pass on some helpful info! First, the bowel prep is not at all nice, so do yourself a real favor by eating very lightly 3-4 days prior. And hydrate! follow the directions exactly. I mixed mine with ginger ale and that helped the taste. Second, ask someone you love and trust to stay with you. That helps so much for your state of mind. I didn't think I'd want anyone, but was grateful beyond words to have them. I also have probs with nausea with meds but had no issue at all. I did, however have terrible itching all over from the spinal, this is normal, and they will give you something in yr iv if you ask. Ask! Then take Benedryl at home. It passes @ 2 days afterward. Next, eat cautiously your first meal after surgery. I wasn't ready and trying to vomit really hurts. I stayed on sprite and saltines after that til I went home. You will hurt more the 2nd day, this is normal too, because everything has finally "woken up." And the gas pains from trapped CO2 will not be nice. But, I found drinking lots of hot tea with honey or hot water with lemon along with Gas-X really helps! And keep moving. Shuffle around when you can, that helps the gas break up and be reabsorbed. I had been told most of this beforehand, and truly, having knowledge really, really helps. Another thing, bring soft, cotton, low cut panties and cotton low cut yoga pants to wear home. Forget the bra for a few days. A heating pad will be your back's best friend from your poor tired muscles trying to compensate for your tummy muscles. Give in and let every single person who offers bring you food, and if you live alone, have someone stay to fix it.
Lift nothing!
Drink tons, I hear that the possible constipation is horrendous. Avoid it!
Day 4 you will feel like a new woman. Maybe day 3, I have very low pain tolerance and 3 was my worst day. I dont like rx meds, so my nurse said to alternate Tylenol and 600 mg ibuprofen, then saved the oxycodone to add in at night. This too shall pass, my sister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Sandy, thank you very much for the message. I am so happy I found this site, so many helpful tips!! A week and a day to go. Will be so happy once it is all done. The nerves are driving me batty
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Cherub, thank you so much for your reply. My surgery is next week on the 15th of March. I only found out I neede a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago so this is all happening so fast!! Thank God for this site, you ladies have really answered all of my questions and then some!! I am so grateful for you all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Alecia- I want to thank you for asking great questions and all the wonderful women who are willing to share their stories. Much like yourself I have only had 3 weeks to 'prepare' for my surgery too (scheduled for March 21) and it helps to have so many brave ladies take the time to reply. Many prayers to you!
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Best wishes to you!

Here are two questions I dealt with. How you respond to them is up to you, but it's always nice to know in advance...

1) When my anaesthesiologist started talking about an epidural, I panicked because I never had one, and have a lot of health issues that may make it a bad idea. I was very happy to choose the alternative, the morphine drip. I used it the first day and then it went away and I was fine alternating between vicodin and Gas-X (which, as you probably know, will be your best friend for awhile!)

2) Apparently there is an option for us to recover either in regular post-op areas of the hospital, or in maternity. Don't laugh - you may have good reasons to prefer one or the other of these. In my case, I learned after the fact that my doctor COULD have put me in maternity but chose not to, without discussing with me. I probably would have not wanted it, but at this particular hospital, maternity ward care tends to be better than general care. If I had known all that in advance, I would have wanted to recover in maternity.

Check with your doctor and get their opinion. Whatever your preference, at least let your doctor know before your room has been set up for you.

Oh, about the bowel prep. I have a very sluggish digestive system and was worried that the prep didn't seem to be working very fast - I didn't think I was 'finished' before I got to the hospital, but I was assured it was okay, it would not interfere with my particular surgery.

Looking back, I should have started the prep sooner, but it really didn't cause any problems for me. The biggest challenge was getting past the original gas pains and the first bm post-op. That all happened before I was released, and by the time I was home I felt SOOOOOO much better!

The nice thing about the first couple of weeks of recovery is that you really feel positive changes happening quickly. I still can't believe how well it went, and the support and helpful advice on this site is a big part of my positive experience!
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM

lmh1017, thank you for the message, yes this is all happening so fast but it is probably better with my personality. I tend tto worry a lot so the short notice means less time to worry I can't believe a week from tonight I will be heading to the hospital!! This last week has went byy soooo fast. I have to go to the hospital the night before for some reason, that i am sure will be a loooooong night Just trying to stay positive but havving some issues this week that are making it difficult Hopefully the surgery will fix it all, I am praying!!
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Phoenix 2012, Thank you so much for your message, those are two questions that i had not even thought of!! I do not want the epidural, and I definetly, for certain reasons DO NOT want to be on the maternity floor!! Thank you so much for the heads up so I will not be suprised by the questions! Lots of hugs t you
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:56 AM

Alecia777,
My dear, don't worry at all! I'm sure you will be fine, I'm 4 weeks post op and was so nervous and at the same time so excited to get to my surgery day (after all my problems I had since few years ago with bleeding and anemia.)
I was so scared of nausea but I asked my surgeon in advance to make sure I will get meds for it. As a matter of fact that part went well! I never felt nauseous at all! I had some problems wt managing the pain after, but my sergeon prescribed me Naproxen 500 which is way stronger than iboprophen 800, and also Tylenol #3 (per my request). The pain was almost gone after the 4th day wt taking these meds, the only thing I suggest you, is that please.....please.....don't start getting up and do house job because you don't have pain and you feel energetic after a few days! This made my recovery time way longer, on my 10th day post op I felt like cleaning my cat's litter! I know it might sound funny doing this, but my family weren't around when I decided that.... I ended up bleeding the day after (bright red) then excessive bleeding after 4 days! My sergeon had to redo my stitches because of what I did!
I learned my lesson in a hard way! I'm more carefull now than first week! This is very important to take it easy and drink a lot of water and don't strain, just relax and imagine you have a few weeks off of stress and try to pamper yourself! I'm praying for you my hyster sister! I'm sure you will be fine and in a few weeks you will look back and can't believe how easy it went! Keep us posted! Remember Lord is wt you
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Nedafard, Thank you for the message. So happy to hear that your sergery went well. It's funny, today I was cleaning the house. While vacuming I started to wonder how long it would take till I could vacum again. I am going to take it easy, that is always hard for me but I am gonna force myself

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register