What does a hot flash feel like | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What does a hot flash feel like What does a hot flash feel like

Unread 03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
What does a hot flash feel like

I had both ovaries removed and have not been put on HRT yet. Doc says in 3-4 weeks. Not sure why such a long wait but I'll ask him at my visit Wednesday. But what exactly does a hot flash feel like? Before surgery it wasn't uncommon for me to get overheated easily. Like When doing light cleaning. So I can't distinguish between it being that vs a flash. I'm 7 days post op and have had the luxury of not doing much. Today was the first day I wiped down some counters and straightened up the kitchen and then became very clammy. Is that part of a flash or just because I haven't been active? Also from time to time when I'm sitting watching tv I get a little flushed but not sure if it's a flash or just because. I have no other symptoms yet that I've noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Re: What does a hot flash feel like

When I get flashes I don't sweat but everyone is different. All I can say is I am tempted to strip and jump into the ice machine @work
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:50 PM

When I got hot flashes before starting HRT, my neck, upper arms & chest went bright red, were hot to touch & I felt extremely hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 01:25 AM

For me, it always starts at the back of my head neck and back, goes over my arms to my front and lets me wish to throw all my clothes from me, wherever I am right then :-D
That's why I dress like an onion since the hot flashes started.
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:51 AM

For me, I'll just be sitting here minding my own business, quietly reading a book or using the computer and will suddenly be overwhelmed with heat, to the point where I feel faint, and that if I don't get every stitch of clothing off me immediately, I'll self-combust. It's a good thing our kids are grown and out of the house, because I generally spend a good amount of time completely naked, or loosely wrapped in a thin sarong. I had these before surgery and am still having them despite the estrogen. Annoying!
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:11 AM

Mine started about a month ago. I would wake out of a sound sleep, very hot with a desperate need for a cool drink and bathroom trip. The hottness lasted about 2 minutes - by the time I was out of the kitchen and bathroom, it was over and I could go to sleep for the rest of the night.

Since then, I get them throughout the day, but fortunately they are still very brief. I don't sweat but a quick look in the mirror confirmed that my face gets very red for about 5 minutes. They are my "short private vacations in the tropics" and don't really interfere with my life.

I notice that daytime hot flashes often happen during a meal or when I am having a glass of wine in the evening. I wonder if they are triggered by anything in particular I am doing or if they are simply on their own cycle.
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:39 AM

I love to see them as 'short private vacations in the tropics' :-D

Just this weekend I told hubby, they remind of our 25. wedding anniversary.
We spent it on the Seychelles and the hot flashes feel pretty much like leaving our air conditioned hut for the first time in the morning.
Such a nice reminder a few times a day ;-)
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM
What does a hot flash feel like

Thank you ladies. These symptoms sound horrible. I'm so sorry for what you have to go through. If what I'm experiencing is flashes than I am lucky. But by the sounds of it I probably havent hit that stage yet. So looking forward to it...NOT ;D

Best wishes to you all.
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM

I asked my doctor that and she said "you'll know when you have one". She was right. I feel like my body is on fire, yet my husband touches me and says I don't feel warm at all. Then when its over, I get chills so bad that my teeth chatter. I started getting mine 2 days after surgery. I have several a day. It is horrid. My mom told me to open the freezer and stick my head in there.
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Hmmm... definatly going to be asking my doc about this on my next appointment. I have had hot flashes on and off again for years. There is nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat and needing to change bedding and gown before getting back in bed.<<<being very sarcastic here. My ovaries haven't worked right since I first started menstrating so not having them now doesn't seem to be effecting me in any way. Yet that is. I'm really hoping not to have to take any hormone replacements.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register