Scheduled TAH Sooooo. Staples? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sooooo.  Staples? Sooooo. Staples?

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Sooooo. Staples?

I had my pre-op appointment yesterday and had a huge list of questions that were all answered. One question was stitches or staples, and the answer is staples. I've never had anything like that before and I'm really a little freaked out about it. I have to go back after 5 days to have them removed and I'm thinking that's going to be a not so great day. For those who have had them, is it as bad as I'm thinking it's going to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Re: Sooooo. Staples?

I had staples with all three of my c-sections. They hold better than stitches, help the incision heal better and faster, and reduce scarring. They itch on days 3 through 5 as the skin starts to heal around them. You just have to be careful to not scratch. I took an over the counter antihistamine which took the itch away (don't put a cream on it at all, just keep it clean and dry).

I had my staples removed on day 5 all three times. The level of discomfort you feel during removal depends on how your body heals. My doctor told me most women don't have pain with staple removal, but just feel itching. I, however, heal really fast. She always commented on how much my skin had grown around my staples. Even at that, the removal was tolerable. They don't break the skin at all with removal. There's no blood or anything. Some of my staples came out easily, others took a bit more work and those felt like I was being pinched. They are super careful and slow with staple removal because they don't want to compromise the incision at all.
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks! I will never understand how I can be completely comfortable with a huge abdominal incision, but the thought of staples grosses me out...

Will be careful not to scratch!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM

I felt the same way. I got nauseous when they removed the staples, not because of any physical discomfort, but because just thinking about it grossed me out.

You will be fine. My doctor loves staples because she says you just heal so much better. I had three c-section incisions done vertically across my lower belly. None of the incisions was done directly over the previous due to the fact that I tend to keloid scar really bad, and thanks to the staples I healed beautifully. It's only been 2 years since my last c-section and the scar is barely visible at all.
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM

I had staples as well and they were a breeze. I got myself all worked up and nervous before my appointment to have them removed but my nurse put me right at ease. Most of them I didn't even feel being removed. The ones that she was worried about causing me pain really only felt like plucking a hair out. Actually I became more freaked out afterwards (my mind playing with me) imagining my incision pulling and then coming open just like a zipper without the staples there to hold it together! The nurse and my Mom got a real good laugh at my expense!
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I was kind of worried as well getting the staples removed but honestly it was not a problem. The staples were all out before I even knew they started to remove them. You will do just fine :-)
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM

That's a relief. It still seems gross, but at least it won't hurt like I thought it would.
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM

You may feel like an android for awhile with them in! They do look really strange. Maybe you can marker eyes and your belly button can be a nose and you can take a picture of your tummy for your scrap book! (Sorry, just had to say it!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register