Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Bowel Prep

Hi guys, this is my first post ever, I am due to have a LAVHS on Feb 20th. I have to do a bowel prep, which I start the day before surgery from lunch time. I have to take two laxatives at lunch and can then only drink clear fluids, then at tea time two more laxatives and still only clear fluids. The following day I can still only have clear fluids until 11am and then I begin to fast. One hour before going to the hospital, I have to use a suppository aswell. My concern is that I do not go to theatre until 5.00pm on the 20th so this means that I will have been without food for about 36hrs and I am already underweight. Can anyone else please tell me how there bowel prep went and how they came out of the anaesthetic. Also, I am really scared about the whole hysterectomy thing and I am constantly dreaming about it, any ideas on how to allay my fears????? Thanks, Sarah xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2002, 01:18 AM
Bowel prep

Hi there...

Wow! That is very different from what I have been instructed to do. I am supposed to eat relatively light the day before surgery, keep myself hydrated(pray I have a bowel movement the night before, but I have IBS, so I know this may not happen)and then eat or drink nothing after midnight. My surgery isn't until 12:30p.m. on the 31st of this month, so with that surgery time, I know I will at least be thirsty.. :cry: I am a bit underweight, too, but I have a small appetite. I'm so sorry you have to do all the laxatives and suppositories! Your bum may hurt or burn a little if you end up having watery BM's after each bowel treatment.. You may want to ask your doctor if you can use some kind of cream for that, just in case. I am a bit surprised that you are aloud to have anything, even liquids the day OF your surgery. I thought this was a big no no, as it can interfere with the anesthesia. Did your doctor give you these instructions directly? It seems out of the norm. to me, but that's just my opinion... Maybe some other ladies on here have had to do the same as you. I'm sure you'll get many more responses... As far as the fear, I hear ya! All this waiting makes it worse as it gives the mind time to think of everything that could go wrong, but I would suggest putting all of your effort into things that you really enjoy right now and train yourself to not think about the surgery so much. I was a nervous wreck up until 2 days ago and then I realized that I can not and will not worry about something I have little control on... Stressing is bad at any time, but is really bad right now.. It breaks down your immune system and your health in general, especially your mental health. I know it's easier said than done, but you really have to put this at the back of your mind and get out and do things that make you happy and give you peace of mind.. Before you know it, the surgery will be here and over with
and you will have stressed for nothing as I know you'll be just fine.

I'll keep you in mys :time2: will fly and you'll be good as new.

BIG s to you!
Unread 01-06-2002, 03:01 AM
Bowel Prep

Hello,
You may want to double check with your doctor to make sure that he really wants you to do all of this. I was sent a list of preparations that were expected of me when my surgery was scheduled. These preparations included a bowel prep, not nearly as intensive as yours. Well, my surgery was cancelled the day before it was scheduled so I did not do the bowel prep. Then my surgery was uncancelled and I told my doctor that I had not done the bowel prep, and he laughed and said don't worry about it, that is what the hospital tells everyone to do, it is not my requirement. He only instructed me not to eat anything after midnight, my surgery was at 11 AM. Everything went well even without it.
As for eating after the surgery, it was almost a full week before I even felt like eating. They will give you liquids in the hospital which will be enough to keep you going, but it definitely will not add any weight. Once again, I would express your concerns to your doctor. I am at the weight I should be for my body type and I did lose a few pounds after the surgery.
Also I had no problem at all coming out of the anesthesia, I am told that today's anesthesias leave little side effects afterwards and I am pleased to tell you that it really was true for me. I have no allergies to anything and that is definitely a plus, some people just don't take well to anesthesia.
You will hear this a million times before your surgery, but the waiting is the hardest part, and it is true. I imagined all kinds of scary scenarios before I had it done, and I can tell you that after it was over, I joked with my doctor that I didn't really believe that he did surgery on me because I felt so good. I had a TVH so I had no incisions to contend with and my recovery is just flying by, but those 3 weeks BEFORE the surgery seemed to crawl so slowly that I thought I was going crazy.
So, my advice is talk to your doctor about your concerns and good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2002, 03:33 AM
Bowel Prep

hi sarah,
i guess ever doc just has a prefference for bowel preps. i go for an IVP on the 21 and then surgery on the 24 of january. for the IVP, i'm to take 3 dulcolax tablets the day before, then nothing by mouth til just before the test, then drink 16 oz of clear liquids. then for the surgery, i'm to take MOM, then drink what looks like a gallon jug of something called "go lightly" the day before, then nothing after midnight before surgery at 2pm. seems like a lot of cleaning out to me. i bought some diaper rash ointment, think i'm gonna need it. good luck. eva
Unread 01-06-2002, 05:02 AM
PREP

You might talk about your concerns. My prep (which I did before for a preop colonoscopy) is that the day before I eat a light breakfast, then nothing but fluids the rest of the day. Around 2, I do the nulightly thing, which is a gallon jug of a mild laxative. It really cleans you out, but with really minimal cramping. And with all that drinking, dehydration won't be an issue. They only if the last poop isn't clear, do I need to do a fleet enema.

I was initially told to be completely "nothing by mouth" from midnight til surgery time (5PM!!!)

I asked about whether that was really necessary, and I was told I could have a small amount of fluid (4-5 ounces) before 7 am.

It's a good idea to check with your doc - the nurses usually just hand out the standard procedure which is usually correct, most of the time, but may not accout for all situations (underweight, low blood sugar problems, diabetes, etc.)

My mom had a hyst for cancer this summer, and she's older (75) and had been through a lot right before her surgery. Once we talked to her doc, her preops were significantly modified. She still had to do a bowel prep, but she could eat (lightly - bread, noodles) until late the afternoon before, did the prep in the evening, and had her surgery rescheduled for early am - so she was without solid food for only about 14 hours, and only about 8 without fluids. Much better.

Dorrie
Unread 01-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Bowel Prep

Sarah,
The bowel prep I did prior to my TAH/BSO was similar to what you have described. The reason for the bowel prep was that I had severe endo and surgery included a lot of stripping around my colon and rectum. The day before, I started the prep with a liquid (called bisocodyl, I think). This was in a small bottle (1.5 oz) that could be mixed with a clear liquid. Several hours later I took 4 ducolax pills (they are very small). Nothing to eat or drink after midnight and my surgery was not until 2 pm the next day. My advice is to drink LOTS of clear liquids while you can (before the fast starts). I was told that clear liquids includes chicken or beef broth, flavored gelatin, popsicles, in addition to coffee, tea, any type of soda, water, apple or cranberry juice.
I had been through the same bowel prep routine two weeks prior to surgery because I had a colonoscopy to check for endo in my colon. I learned then that the biggest issue is dehydration. I drank lots more water during the prep prior to my hyst, right up until midnight I just kept pushing the liquids. I was not all that hungry on surgery day, just felt very weak and dehydrated. Limit what you do on surgery day ... you will not have any energy. You will make it, though! Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 01-06-2002, 01:19 PM
No bowel prep for me

Wow! Everyone's doctors are different. My surgery was scheduled for 7:30am which was great because I didn't have to starve or be thirsty. I was allowed to eat and drink until 10:30pm the night before and no bowel prep of any sort for a TAH. I guess I lucked out.

Sarah, don't be concerned about your weight loss. You will have plenty of time to replenish whatever calories you'll lose. Remember, recovery can take between 6 to 8 weeks which means you won't be as active as usual and you won't burn as many calories.

As far as your fears, all I can say is that once they give you the sedative, you won't have any fears at all and it will be over before you know it. Like we say on this forum "the waiting is the worst". Once it's over, you will be on the road to recovery and better times.

Good luck and think positive thoughts!

Luisa

Unread 01-06-2002, 02:53 PM
Bowel Prep

Reminder - Always follow your own dr's. pre-op instructions reagarding bowel prep and diet to a "T". Yes, they are all different...but they have their reasons
Unread 01-06-2002, 04:28 PM
Bowel Prep

Sarah,
I was thin and got thinner for those 2 days before. I was instructed to eat only clear liquids for 2 days before. The night before , I had to drink some of that horrible stuff in a green bottle and take an enema. All I wished I had had was some preparation H. That night was worse than the hysterectomy ever thought about being!!! I had no prob coming out of anesthesia. Had some gas, and I think everyone does and you will have to pass it before leaving. Buy some Gas X for home and some stool softners. I took 1 a day for about 3 weeks I had no problems. They scraped a lot on me and I was very sore, so I didn't want to put any pressure down there. It;s very natural to worry, we all do. Pray a lot, it helps, and talk to this board!
Unread 01-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Bowel Prep

I did the Nu-Lyteley (or something like that) bowel prep and it wasn't very difficult. I was supposed to drink one glass each half-hour until I finished the one liter bottle, but I stopped after half a liter because I had been on a clear liquid diet all day and had nothing left to poop! There was a point there where I didn't think I could drink one more drop and so I compromised by drinking only half a glass during that time.

My surgery was supposed to be at 4 PM and I was to report at 1:30 PM, but very early that morning, the doctor called to tell me there had been a cancellation and I would be moved up to 1 PM, and to report at 11 AM. I had not been allowed to eat anything (not even drink coffee) after midnight, so I was glad it was moved up.

Since I had additional, unplanned colon surgery, I was not allowed to eat or drink until the fourth day after the surgery, and I can honestly say that I wasn't hungry at all until the third day. So you won't waste away or be starving, at least I doubt it! I had absolutely no problem at all with the general anesthesia although the nurse said they give everyone anti-nausea meds in the IV just in case.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register