Surgery 4/11/12 So many questions and fears (cystocele and rectocele repairs) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 4/11/12 So many questions and fears (cystocele and rectocele repairs) Surgery 4/11/12 So many questions and fears (cystocele and rectocele repairs)

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Surgery 4/11/12 So many questions and fears (cystocele and rectocele repairs)

I know I am having a TVH done along with cystocele and rectocele repairs. It seems like everything is wrong in that area. I also have to have a tvt because my urethra is kinked. He says that my prolapse is stage 4 and vaginal walls or pelvic floor has I have weak tissues and they are not using the sling so I don't know how they are going to bring the bladder into place. Does anyone know? Has anyone ever gotten blot clots from this kind of surgery?Two Dr's are performing the surgery. One to remove the uterus and the other for the bladder repair. If anyone and I mean anyone can give me some information on what happens what to expect, etc I would appreciate it. It would ease my mind some. I have had 3 major surgeries and for some reason I fear this one the most.i just don't understand how all that can be stitched and have not rip everything out trying to move your stool and etc. I don't understand how that works. When I see them put that sling in for the urethra and how they cut you in your legs it disturbs me
As the days go on I find myself not being able to breath or swallow correctly so I am sure it is anxiety. Someone help me please.Sorry about the spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Re: Surgery 4/11/12 So many questions and fears

Sweetie,

I wish I could answer your questions, but some of the more detailed how-to information should be answered by your doctor.

Post-op is different for everyone, and is dependent on many factors. I hope someone will see this post who has had similar surgery to let you know how they did. I am going to edit your title so that other women who can help will see it.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Re: Surgery 4/11/12 So many questions and fears (cystocele and rectocele repairs)

k anything thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Re: Surgery 4/11/12 So many questions and fears (cystocele and rectocele repairs)

I am having a TVH and TVT. Also by 2 different doctors. I had my pre op this past monday and the doctor answered all my questions and calmed all my fears. When are you scheduled? Have you had you pre op appointment yet?
Make a list and take it with you to the doctors office, they will answer all your questions for you.

This I do know, Hysterectomy will be performed first, then put my bladder back up into place, then the urologist will do the tvt.
My doctor told me all in all it should be about a 2 hour surgery.
I will stay overnight at the hospital and should be released the next day. I will have a cathereter in when I wake up but it should come out the next day before I go home. I have to be able to pee on my own before leaving the hospital.

Good luck and keep looking all over on this site, there is a ton of info to be learned, the best resource for me personally was the pre op checklist.
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM

barbaranna, The first thing I suggest you do is take some deep breaths, and try to calm down. Then go to the top of this thread, and read the "Hints from members". There is an amazing amount of good information there that will certainly help you through this. Do make a list of questions for your DR at your pre-op meeting.

What I can tell you from my own experience-stage 4 total prolapse,cyctocele, rectocele, uterus and cervix removed, then a bladder sling-is that it isn't a picnic, but I made it. I then also had my overies, tubes, and my vaginal canal tied up in a surgery 6 weeks later. My one regret was that I didn't get it done in one surgery. Best advice after surgery, is get up and walk. Drink, drink, drink and take your pain meds to stay on top of the pain.

I was given a 12 week recovery period because it takes 12 weeks for the body to heal to 80%. I knew this before the surgery, so I wasn't surprised. No lifting, no bending, no stooping, no housework etc. It sounds harsh, but 12 weeks went really fast for me and I was very careful. I wanted all my repairs to hold-and it is this healing that will help hold these repairs.

I was scared witless too, but the day of surgery a strange sense of calm came over me and I did just fine. I had a wonderful URO/GYNE who spent lots of time answering my questions and putting me at ease.
If you trust your surgeon, that goes a long way to calming you down.

I had no problems with blood clots. You don't lose that much blood. And the way they inserted the bladder sling is not in your legs. It is on either side of the pubic bone. To tell the truth, I had no pain whatsoever from the sling. As far as ripping everything out such as when your bowels move, never, never strain! That is what could cause problems. Start using stool softners (if ok'd by DR) before your surgery, and continue as long as you need them. They will not hurt you. Get off the narcotic pain meds as soon as you can as they are constipating. Make sure there is plenty of fiber in your diet by adding prunes, apples, whatever you can each meal. Ask your DR at your pre-op meeting what to do just in case you can't go-being forearmed with that info will keep you calm also. I knew to use Milk of Magnesia and add mineral oil if it didn't work on it's own. By the 4th day, I took MOM, and everything started working just fine. As I said, the helpful hints above will give you a wealth of information. Just make sure that you have your DR's approval for what you do.

Hang in there, sweetie! I am almost 1 year out from my first surgery, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! I have my quality of life back and I feel wonderful! You will too! Keep us posted on your success! Best wishes on your surgery, and heal well!
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Wow Thanks to all for all the info, starting to calm myself a little. My surgery is April 11th. I won't have a bladder sling. To many problems with them and I am afraid because I don't have very strong tissues so not so sure how they attach the bladder back into place. They are using a mesh strip for the urethra though. i asked if that was not mesh and they said it was a different material. I guess my urethra is kinked so that is whyI am not leaking now but have constant bladder spasms its not painful though.I wonder how you cant stoop or bend. I mean you even bend to dry yourself off and get out of bed? The gyno is going to remove the uterus and then the urogyno will do the rest. I am going to browse through all the sites here and look around. If you have any other info I invite you to let me know. My pre op is March 28th. I cant remember what they do to you then do you?They said I would be in the hospital for 2-4 days .
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM

The no bend-no stoop is not that difficult. Just remember to keep your back straight if you do any stooping, bending etc. It just means not to put any pressure on those abdominal sutures. Get a grabber tool-any pharmacy has them-as this was my way to pick up anything from off the floor. It is one of the best suggestions from the sisters. Also a heating pad for your sore bum, and an ice-pack for incision swelling.

The pre-op is nothing, just more of a question and answer session, and then the DR will send you to get pre-op testing-blood work, possibly a chest x-ray, EKG and any other testing that needs done pre-surgery. That's when you need to ask your questions, so write them down. No matter how hard you try, something always gets forgotten.

My urethra was kinked also, and my bladder was so low that the only way I could empty it was to physically push it up into my vj and hold it there during voiding. That also eliminated the spasms. Then I used a pessary for about a year, until I made the decision to have the surgery. It was a pain as I put it in am and removed it pm each day, but it did give me a better quality of life.

I was only in the hospital overnight for the first surgery, and two nights for the second. More than enough time! Tried for a private room, none available and my roomates were very sick with very obnoxious visitors. Not a good way to get rest.

Continue to research, but stay in the pre-op section. Save post-op for after your surgery when you need something to do. As always, your DR's information is what you need to get through this, but the sisters are always here to answer questions as they all have been there-done that!

Happy to answer any other questions that you may have!
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM

I'm having anterior & posterior repairs and vaginal vault repair (or something) at the same time as my hysterectomy. Gyn doing that then urogyn doing repairs. I found a good description of the vaginal vault suspension (which sounds like it should be done after every hysterectomy) but I can't find a description of the ant & post repairs anywhere. My preop w/ urogyn is March 30th but I don't have a good rapport w her, only met once & she was tired (on call & running late) and I was extremely anxious. so she came off dismissive at times when I asked q's about options. It would really help my anxiety & control issues to have some info about the repairs, even just enough to be able to ask good questions at my preop. So I'd also appreciate any info from those who have been there or maybe a link to a medical site? Anything would help.
Thanks
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:23 AM

do you know if they dont use a sling to lift the bladder how they attach it to keep it up?My dr said pain? you wont have pain all the stiches are inside.. so does that mean I will be painless lol?I can't for the life of me figure out how they repair vaginal or pelvic floor . Can't figure out what they do to repair rectocyle I know thats not how you spell it. How they heck does he see to put the bladder up there ? I cant find sites to see what they do

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register