Week 3-Is it normal to still have so much pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Week 3-Is it normal to still have so much pain? Week 3-Is it normal to still have so much pain?

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Week 3-Is it normal to still have so much pain?

I'm in week 3 of my recovery & I'm experiencing a lot of pain still. I do have days where it isn't as bad (but still need pain medication everyday) but other days the pain is so bad it makes me really concerned. I'm going to call my doc tomorrow but was curious if this seems typical.

P.S. I am so happy to have found this site. Great info & it's comforting to know there is support from women who have and are going through the same things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Re: Week 3-Is it normal to still have so much pain?

Did you have a two week post op appointment with your surgeon? I know everyone's pain tolerance level is different, but I was still having pain in week three as well. I stopped taking the pain meds though out of fear of addiction and continued to take ibuprofen when necessary. Of course always call your surgeon and discuss with the nurse what is going on and she can answer your questions. I can only tell you what I was feeling at that point. I hope that your pain will subside soon and you will be better than before your surgery in no time Take care.

Crystal
Complete Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy
Mennorhagia and Anemia
February 7th, 2012
Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:43 PM

Yes I had my follow up appt & at that point so far so good. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. I also have a fear of becoming addicted to the pain pills & was going to ask my doc if it's ok to take ibuprofen. Thanks for the quick response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2012, 10:48 PM

I know I was the same way. I was ready to get back to doing everything. as well. I take three ibuprofen usually, but sometimes four if needed. My doc said that was perfectly fine. I hope that I helped you a little Take care.

Crystal
Complete Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy
Mennorhagia and Anemia
February 7th, 2012
Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:16 PM

I am 4 months post-op from TAH/BSO & appendectomy. I'm young, healthy and have a very high pain tolerance, and also had severe Endo & complications from it. After my surgery I remember the 3rd week being the WORST both in pain levels and just general discomfort. Also don't know what kind of pain meds your on, but my Dr had me on Vicodin, and also had me taking IBuprofen bc the combo together worked great for my pain & healing. You just have to be careful with both more for digestive issues then anything really. I had to take pain meds up to about 5 weeks.

Hang in there it does get better! It's just a process so some days/weeks it may feel like you're going backwards but it really is just your body healing.

{{HUGS}}
Shae
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Week 3-Is it normal to still have so much pain?

Thanks Shae! I had an appendectomy as well. Your words are encouraging and make me feel hopeful. There are days when it does feel like I'm going backwards but I am comforted by the thought that it should all pass in the next few weeks.

What a blessing to have found the HysterSisters!
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:48 AM

It is absolutely normal to still have pain!! 3 weeks is still VERY early in recovery. I had pain for 12 weeks. Most people tend to think that if they have a minimally invasive surgery, they will heal more quickly. Well, that is true for the incisions. The inside healing is what takes so much time and what causes the most pain. Also, keep in mind that if you had any other work done besides the hysterectomy (excision of endo, bladder work, pelvic floor work), this could cause you to have pain for longer than others.

It is okay to still be taking pain medication. If your prescribed it, he/she wants you to take it. Just make sure you are taking it as directed and you shouldn't have to worry about becoming addicted. You might talk to your doctor to find out if you could alternate the prescription pain meds with ibuprofen. Some doctors do that so that the ibuprofen is supplementing the prescription. This can also help you to get off the prescription pain killers more quickly. I would call and discuss this with your doctor and don't change the way you take your meds without discussing it with him/her first.

It does get better. I know it is seems like it is taking forever and you are just ready to feel better....and you will!! Just give your body the time it needs to heal itself and get healthy again. It is worth the wait!!!!

Sending you and hoping you start to feel great very soon!!!
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Right there with you sister! I'm having a lot of pain too, though it gets a tiny bit better each day. I went off pain meds way too early, had intense pain with elimination...so they advised to go back on pain meds and within a couple days I started feeling Much better. So I promptly overdid it and set myself way back.

Now I'm hurting and taking about a third of the pain meds--I get really nauseated from them and can only handle a half a tab at a time, but they really help with pain. I eat super healthy and thought I'd be one of the ones who had an easier time of it, giving my body the nutrition it needs to heal and all. But it's been hard. I'm sure it helps, but not doing the wonders I'd imagined. It's hard to be in pain for such a prolonged period, it gets stressful, that combined with the surgical menopause. I have some fun plans for the summer and it helps me to keep focusing on that---that this will pass and good times are ahead of me, it won't always be this bad.

It helps to know we're not alone in this experience! Hope you have some improvement today. Baby steps.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM

I too am in my third week of recovery, and I have found that the pain is still persistent at times. I went off of my pain meds in week two as I felt way better but found that I needed them again in my third week. I do the dishes and I fold laundry but I have not done too much else other than cooking. I encourage you to rest as much as you can, as I find that helpful when I am feeling Icky. Keep hydrated and know that your not alone. We will get through this and as long as your pain is not severe I would say that it is just our bodies healing from the inside. Wishing you well.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM

I am in my 4th week of recovery. I noticed that last week(3rd week of recovery) was a really bad week for me. My tummy was very, very tender and I could not get comfortable when I slept. Even if my pajama shirt touched my belly button, it hurt. I am happy to say that this week is sooo much better. So hang in there...you will improve soon!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register