New here and have upcoming DaVinci | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and have upcoming DaVinci New here and have upcoming DaVinci

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:32 AM
New here and have upcoming DaVinci

Hi everyone! What a great site this is. I'm scheduled to have a DaVinci hysterectomy as well as ovary removal on May 7th. I've had bad endometriosis for about two years now and had a previous laproscopic surgery to remove two enormous endometrioma's in May of 2010. It didn't take long for them to come back being thrust into sudden menopause at 40 makes me a bit nervous but I'm doing as much as I can to educate myself and prepare.

I've noticed from reading stories that there are many who've had this DaVinci procedure but not as many who've had their ovaries removed as well. For those that have, what was your recovery time like? Does anyone know if it's about the same as just having the uterus removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Re: New here and have upcoming DaVinci

Hugs and best of luck to you! I can't answer your questions yet, because my davinci isn't until Friday, but I'm having my left ovary removed & it's up to the doctor during my surgery if the right ovary stays or goes. After its all said and done I'll be happy to let you know my experience with it if you still have questions.
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM

I had everything removed last May. I was up and about in a week,...not dancing, tho. It took 4 weeks for me to start feeling like myself and 6 weeks to feel almost normal and able to start my regular activities. The lady in the video is lying when she says she went to a party the week of her surgery. There is still lots of recovery involved no matter what they take out. But it was nice not to have to worry about incisions etc. I only had 5 little one inch incisions around my stomach and lower pelvic region which required little or no attention at all. You will have to deal with fatigue, limited lifting and activity, some bowel concerns and need lots of rest. Plan on a 6 weeks recovery. Most of us did in my date group. Some returned to work sooner but only if they were able to adjust their schedules and work part-time or go home if they got tired or work from home. Many wished they had waited the full six weeks. Hope this helps
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Thank you both for the response! It did seem a bit surprising to me that people had said they were back to the gym in a week, I was like wow they must have been either extremely fit before surgery or extremely lucky!lol I've always had a bit of a low pain tolerance but I have had prior laproscopic surgeries so I have a bit of an idea. Thanks for the information!
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM

Good luck on your surgery, I would definitely like to hear how it goes once you feel up to it!
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraL707 View Post
Hi everyone! What a great site this is. I'm scheduled to have a DaVinci hysterectomy as well as ovary removal on May 7th. I've had bad endometriosis for about two years now and had a previous laproscopic surgery to remove two enormous endometrioma's in May of 2010. It didn't take long for them to come back being thrust into sudden menopause at 40 makes me a bit nervous but I'm doing as much as I can to educate myself and prepare.

I've noticed from reading stories that there are many who've had this DaVinci procedure but not as many who've had their ovaries removed as well. For those that have, what was your recovery time like? Does anyone know if it's about the same as just having the uterus removed?
I had davinci with cervix and both ovaries removed. My recover was pretty quick. I went back to work in 10 days(1/2 days for the first 4 days back). The first couple of days were a little rough and I did take vicodin and 800 ibuprofen on schedule for the first 3 days. Day 4 I was only taking the ibuprofen. I too had had a couple of laps for stage 4 endo, so I thought the davinci would be a piece of cake and I would be back to work in a week. To be honest it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I lacked the energy to make it though the day that I would have normally had. By week 4 I felt great!!! I am taking Estrovin (herbal) for menopause control and it is really helping. My dr. recommended to to help with very itchy skin and night sweats. I am now at week 8 and cannot believe how great I feel. I had forgotten what it was to be pain free! Having the hysterectomy was one of the BEST decision I have ever made!

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:41 PM

I think it all depends on each person. I had the Da Vinci done on 1/31.. I am just over 5 weeks post op. Had cervix removed too.. This week I started doing more. Driving more, lunch with friends, light house cleaning and such. Starting to feel human again. Couldnt have imagined going back to work at 2 or 3 weeks. I am taking a full 8 weeks off.. I get wiped out easily but I think that has more to do with having a hysterectomy in general and not the type of hysterectomy you have..

I have a really taken it easy the last 5 weeks. No vacuuming.. stayed off stairs first 2 weeks.. didnt drive first 3 weeks.. No pushing or pulling of anything still at 5 weeks. I have really taken what my doc said very serious that being even though the Da Vinci is less invasive, it is still major surgery and my internal organs were removed.

Just listen to your body post op. It WILL push back if you over do it..

Best wishes
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks so much! Its really helpful to hear everyone's experiences. I'm actually glad to hear recovery stories that are realistic because in the video's they make it sound like I'll be doing backflips in a week and I found that hard to believe. Thanks again!
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM

My doc is telling me the recovery will be no worse than my tubal ligation, but I've read enough recovery stories on here to know otherwise. If you're doing backflips at any point after the surgery, please let us know who did your surgery!
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:05 PM

That is scary Shutterbug.. I had my tubes tied and this recovery was alot harder than that.. Some docs are psycho..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register