Scheduled dVH/RALH Crying Pre-Op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Crying Pre-Op Crying Pre-Op

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Re: Crying

Thanks for the encouragement and I have been reading and see because how gret one feels behind the Da Vinci to make sure I do not over due it. Just take it easy and go wit the flow. The funny thing here also that I did not speak about was the fact that on my way to the OB/GYN in December I tripped and fell and broke my right wrist and yes I am right-handed!! So imagine me laying on the exam table with hand across belly with a broken wrist and leaving there and going to er to confirm what I already knew. Kuddos to my kids for filling out my paperwork and helping out of my clothes and into exam gown as well as onto the table then back dressed again as well as over to er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM

It's completely normal to be emotionally overwhelmed right now. This is a major surgery, we are giving up control over our bodies and lives for a few weeks, and we are having major organs removed. Our uterus can be tied so closely to our feelings of femininity and sexuality.

I cried many times in my GYN's office. I cried a great deal pre op and I cried all the way into the OR. For a lot of us the emotions get a little more intense post op and then things level out.

I suggest communicating with your family, close friends and doctor how you are feeling emotionally and let them know you will need their support. I don't know how I would have managed without my DH's arms around me through this. And also my Sisters here, who assured me I was normal and my feelings are valid.

Try to keep busy, clean the house, prepare meals for the freezer and have some family time outside of the house. Before you know it, your surgery date will be upon you. The waiting is the hardest part.
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM

I understand how you feel. I had mine scheduled yesterday and on the way home I shed a few tears and i'm not really sure why. I know that I'll feel better in the long run, but there is just something about those parts being gone that brings out the tears. I think its normal. But be comforted! we are going to feel SO much better in the long run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks I will hold close and dear to me all that has been shared with me!!
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:41 AM

I got mine scheduled yesterday and had a major panic attack at work, right there in the break room. Then came home and cried all afternoon. I am so relieved that I finally found a surgeon who will do this, but it's still a big thing to process and deal with. I'm most afraid of the pain. I had a cyst rupture and I've been told that this surgery hurts less than that. True?
Blond- I'll be there crying with you. I think it's best we just cry and let it out. No sense in holding it all in
{hugs to you}
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:30 AM

Crying is a good way to release all the pent up fear and unreleashed emotions. I cried before, and now a month post op, I still have crying jags. Comes out of the blue. Everyday gets a little better though. Take care. You are going to make it.
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedinoz View Post
I got mine scheduled yesterday and had a major panic attack at work, right there in the break room. Then came home and cried all afternoon. I am so relieved that I finally found a surgeon who will do this, but it's still a big thing to process and deal with. I'm most afraid of the pain. I had a cyst rupture and I've been told that this surgery hurts less than that. True?
Blond- I'll be there crying with you. I think it's best we just cry and let it out. No sense in holding it all in
{hugs to you}
Pain is a subjective thing and hard to compare. I had a cyst rupture on my ovary and it was nothing compared to this. The rupture pain was sharp and localized and hurt for a few hours. The surgery pain is spread out (as opposed to one little spot). The incisions hurt, my bladder hurt, I had gas pains, my vagina felt swollen. My vulva was sore (felt like it had been clamped open during surgery) and my whole pelvic area hurt inside. The surgery pain/discomfort also lasts much longer (months for me). A lot of women find that they are gradually getting better and then suddenly they will have a few days that set them right back. I told my GYN "it's two steps forward, one step back" and he smiled and nodded. Some days it's one step forward and two steps back.

I'm not meaning to worry you, but am trying to be realistic. It's not horrible, incapacitating pain but at the same time, it's not an easy recovery.
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM

This recovery has been a little more than I expected. I get rid of one thing and something else pops up. I feel like I need an alignment. My head and my body are totally out of sync if that makes any sense. Waiting to just round that corner like many others. Thoughts and feelings are all over the map. Don't quite feel grounded yet.
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM

I think it's really normal to have times of tears and feeling overwhelmed when facing major surgery. The DaVinci is a great surgery,though, and I'm sure you will do very well and feel so much better afterwards!
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:28 AM

I thought DaVinci was the best way to go. Can't even imagine going through what women did years ago. I joke with my husband that all hystersisters should line up in a row to make a commercial for Miralax with their swelly belly, and then after shots of flat stomach to show how product works. I take a cap for of that a day. Helps a lot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register