Scheduled TAH 5 days to go, getting antsy, and a tip! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days to go, getting antsy, and a tip! 5 days to go, getting antsy, and a tip!

Unread 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM
5 days to go, getting antsy, and a tip!

Good morning!
I didn't see this tip on here, so I thought I would share it. (apologies if it's posted and I missed it!)
I got a cute little plastic tub (about the size of a shoebox) that I plan on putting in my bed with me, since it's quite a reach over to my bedside table. This is where I will place the TV remote, phone, iPod (loaded some relaxing guided meditations onto it), Kindle (loaded up with a bunch of new books), medication bottles (might use a pill organizer instead), medication schedule & pen, nail clipper & file, lip balm, ponytail holders, and a handful of sugar-free hard candies since I tend to get a dry throat. There's room for my Camelbak water bottle as well. Everything will be all contained in one convenient, close, easy-to-reach place and won't spill out.

My TAH/RSO will be on Monday, and I'm getting so antsy. I feel like a kid two days before Christmas! After 20 years of pain I'm SO excited to get some relief... once I'm all recovered from the procedure, that is.

My bed has 2 brand new sets of sheets, 8 new pillows, and a giant fluffy hot pink backrest supporter pillow - the Princess needs luxurious bedding to help her recover! I've got my handy-dandy reacher-grabber tool and a long-handled extendable shoehorn. My hospital is providing my binder, but if it gives me any trouble I will order the one from this site. I bought a few soft cotton nightshrts with fun characters on them, as well as some XXL cotton Tshirts to sleep in that I can give to my husband after I'm done. We're all stocked up on Gas-X & softener, prunes & figs, and fresh juicy Meyer lemons to squeeze into my water to make it tasty and encourage me to drink drink drink. I've also got those freezer-ice things to get some more fluids in me (and they're just plain fun treats to have). I've got Boost protein drinks (my doctor recommended those after my last surgery). This weekend I will pick up Capri Sun pouches and make some freezer meals. For the past week, I've given up soda & coffee, since I shouldn't have them after surgery (better to have withdrawals now, versus when I'm trying to recover). I've pulled out a bunch of slip-on shoes & slippers and comfy loose light soft cotton clothes & sleepwear. House is freshly scrubbed, and I've got a stool to put in the shower to sit on. My bag is packed... All of this reminds me of when I was "nesting."
The problem is, preparing and getting things ready gives me comfort and makes me less nervous, and I'm running out of things to do to get ready. Any more last-minute prep tips are much appreciated...

Best of luck to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Re: 5 days to go, getting antsy, and a tip!

I did see the basket idea in the Hints section and LOVED it! I have mine packed and ready to use at the hospital to help with the table clutter.

If your world is ready, work on you. Plan a party. Schedule to relax. Pamper yourself. Take a superstar bath!!
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM

Oh a bath is a wonderful idea, especially since we won't be taking any for a while... Thanks! Now I can occupy myself getting the bubbles, candles, music, ooh maybe a facial mask & some cucumbers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 12:02 PM

YOU GOT IT!! See you on the other side!
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:17 PM

My surgery is Tuesday morning.

It's nice to know that there is someone else that is getting excited for their surgery other then me. lol I made a shirt wthat says "FIXED" on it to go with one of my lounge pj bottoms that I got from Old Navy....on sale..

I got some

-"chick flicks" to pop in to DVD player.

- a dorm fridg (that we had from previous surgeries) in the bedroom for fruit and water and a sandwich while my DH is at work. (this way I don't have to go down to the kitchen.

-Ear pulgs like the ones that sale on the HS store site. I got some last night to try. LOVE THEM! DH & pup dog do a duet at night and I usually wake up, NOT last night. I'm taking them to the "castle" with me b/c I get an over night stay.

-Pup-dog get a bath this weekend so she can get on the bed so I can pet her without bending over.

I have a coushion for the deck chair so IF it's nice (WNY weather you NEVER know) I can go out and sit and read or just enjoy the outside during a "power surge". Lol

Good luck and stay postive, look at everything as a learning experience .
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM

i love this idea of a basket in bed with you!! i am totally using it! Thanks for the tip
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Wow, i am so jealous! I have surgery Monday as well and havent put any work into preparing yet..I am going to copy some of your ideas though. Good Luck!
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Thanks, ladies! And I love the idea of a "fixed" shirt - too funny!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register