Why are you getting your hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are you getting your hysterectomy? Why are you getting your hysterectomy?

Unread 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Re: Why are you getting your hysterectomy?

Reading your stories, so sad, and maddening.
I hope everyone is OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Why are you getting your hysterectomy?

TAH- think of it as "oldie but goodie"? My doc was the 1st in my area to do daVinci hysters- now pretty much his whole group does it. I was suprised it was an option for me. I never tend to "do things the right way"- completely out of my control btw. Last surg I had with him I was s'posed to be in the hospital "2days tops, 1 day for NORMAL people". Well, after 7 nights I finally got to go home. I was worried abt daVinci @1st bc I was worried he wudnt be able to see all of whatever endo there is, but reading on here I feel better. I wish you a tolerable, peaceful recovery with help & friendship avail when you need ansd or want it!
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:03 PM

@ Abagayl- was the author of that article a MAN? lol
Im excited for you to be getting your life back! Sounds like you have been through so much- many wishes to you for a smooth recovery &much enjoyment of "normalcy". I look forward to hopfully joining you in the land of normal soon. Ive seen so many people with their surgeries scheduled far in advance. Is that per their preference or is that how it is? Now that I'm (pretty) sure of my decision to do this I just want it done. Like you said- be able to enjoy life& family w/o having to worry abt this stuff interfering anymore.
Best wishes for your castle visit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM

I'm opting for a hysterectomy b\c I'm tired of being a slave to my periods. My periods were ok until i reached age 45 (i'm 49 now). I started to get clots. I later had a physical which revealed that I was slightly anemic. Since I was still having my periods, my doctor suspected that was the cause. I told my GYN who started trying different birth control pills. None really worked. Some cause the awful gushing periods and other periods almost the entire month. I want to participate in more outdoor activities but I have to schedule them around my period. That means I can't commit to anything until the last minute. I have mostly dark color pants--just in case--i think some of you can identify with that! I want to wear white pants and not worry about it!
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM

I like this thread, so I am dredging it back up!

Myself, I have been begging my old doctor for a hysterectomy for three years. You can tell from my siggy, I have been dealing with PCOS for 18 years! Then, more and more built up! We had tried infertility drugs and lost three pregnancies. I was done, but he said no, wait!

Last year, I switched Dr's, thank God! She did one u/s, saw a small fibroid, and my ovary appeared stuck to my uterus. My periods were getting increasing worse, worse, worse, every other week, and debilitating. We were going to try Lupron, but insurance rejected, so I asked for a lap, and she agreed!!

Feb was the Lap, also found adhered colon and more endo, as well as severe adeno, and the fibroid is HUGE now! I am currently in the middle of an almost three-week period, even on BCP, it is horrible!! So, wednesday, we agreed on an LAVH-RSo, with the possibility of becoming an abdominal.... Praying not!!!
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM

I had trouble keeping a pregnancy, I suffered 2 miscarriages with in 3 months of each other and the second one was twins Anyway the second miscarriage I went through 7 ultrasounds and 8 bloodtests for the doctors to decide that I was going to miscarry. I was given the option of natural or to do a D&C. I had asked for a D&C after my first miscarriage because of family history. I was told no because one miscarriage did not constitute needing one done. So of course I chose D&C. 3 month later I was pregnant again and carried to full term. I had irregular heavy periods for 3 years tried bc to control and it bc worked I just didnt like the headaches and other side effects.

Decided to get pregnant again, did and carried to full term. I have 2 wonderful boys ages 11 and 7. They are my world, I adore them so much.

Anyway I was in a crappy marriage, gained weight became diabetic and periods stopped all together. Left my husband 12/30/10, and had the worst period of my life in 2/11. Made a doctors appointment, he did a physical exam and jokingly said "well you have a prolapsed uterus, you probably wont make it to 50 without that thing falling out". My response ok take it, and while we are it lets fix my urine leakage problem too.

Because of my divorce and health insurance issues I had to wait until now for my surgery, I have had several really bad periods since last february and pain almost everyday. My mother was told to have this surgery done when she was my age, (36) she is now 58 and I see her struggle everyday because she chose not to have the surgery done. I am thankful to have found this site and all the helpful sisters on here. I am extremely thankful for my close tight knit family and the support I am getting from them.

So there is my story
Good luck my fellow princess's
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Alicathilton-
Im so glad to hear you have found a doctor willing to help you! Also, im glad u "dredged" up this thread! I think it is so impt for each of us to have an opportunity to tell our story to people who can be EMPATHETIC instead of just sympathetic.
I will be scheduled for a daTH with possibility of going TAH depending on findings & difficulty. I, like you, am keeping fingers crossed abt it staying as 'scope. Do you have your date yet? It will be so nice when we ea get our turn @ the castle & will no longer be tied down by pain and or bleeding! Best wIshes to all for speedy, uncomplicated recoverie!!!
(((hugs)))
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Amyrup- gotta love when our docs can lighten the mood about all this . My doc pointed out to me that my "uterus hasnt done anything nice for (me) in way too long & has been making itself know for trouble. It seems to be time that (I) part ways with it- say see ya to that useless pain". He is great. I, like you, am young-37. I & he have held off on this plan way too long. Now I just want to join my "sisters" on "the other side of the castle".
Best wishes!!!!
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Amy, glad you are getting your relief, and so soon!!! yay! congrats on your gifts, for they truly are!

Ace, April 2nd is my date, wish it was Monday, lol! My pain is progressively worse, now they called me in Lortab, which I can't stand!! LOL, just to help sleep, i suppose!
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:47 PM

I have had "female problems" most of my life. I have been having significant pelvic pain for over 10 years now. I am 53 and am 8 years post-menopausal. 3 years ago I started bleeding. it has gotten worse over the years until last month I bled for 3 weeks, clotting with heavy cramping. 5 months ago my husband took me to the emergency room because I was in so much pain I could barely walk.

I've had urinary and bowel incontinence for some time now.

I have been waiting for all this time for the surgery and finally the VA sent me to a surgeon who agrees that the surgery is the right answer. I have been through so many procedures and outpatient surgeries that didn't fix anything, that I am eager to have the TAH and be done with it.

I am looking forward to being free of the pain and the other problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register