Why are you getting your hysterectomy? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are you getting your hysterectomy? Why are you getting your hysterectomy?

Unread 03-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Re: Why are you getting your hysterectomy?

I had my hysterectomy to regain my life!

Heavy bleeding lead to an ablation, that failed due to my enlarged uterus (2 c-sections), still had periods and the cramping was extreme. Was having to take atleast a day off of work each month, and my life was starting to revolve around my period!

Now a little over 6 weeks post-op.....very happy with my decision!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 06:43 AM

Thanks to you all for sharing these stories.

I just joined during the past week. Am scheduled for a TAH in April at age 50. I have some monster fibroids that are keeping my body in the equivalent of a 5 month pregnancy. My symptoms are not painful, but they are there and they need to GO.AWAY.NOW, because they are starting to interfere with my life. I am seriously anemic, I have ridiculous flooding with my period (which I have had since I was NINE, thank you very much), and the size of my abdomen has caused more than one stranger to ask when am I "due".

The fibroids are too large to have any procedure other than a TAH. The ovaries and cervix are going as well. So, come mid April, I will be rocking it "old school", LOL.

I am nervous as he**, since I have never ever had a surgery of any sort before. Well, except extraction of an impacted wisdom tooth, but that's different, right? But I am looking forward to getting my energy back and getting back to the business of enjoying life.

So very, very glad to have found this site.
Unread 03-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Hi all... woke up last night and started reading this, had my TVH 4 days ago. My story starts after my first pregnancy, I was only 16 years old, yes I was young, and I didnt want too fall again. So I went on the depo injection, 3 months of bleeding and pain , and weight gain like you wouldnt believe. so stopped that and went on the pill, which seem to go fine, altho lookin back I always had painful heavy periods. forward 3 years, got married deceided we wanted another child, went of the pill, very painful heavy periods and not falllin pregnant, back to dr, D&C to find out whats going on. went back for 6 week check up, bingo, and Im pregnant, didnt even find out what was going on with myself at check up, was so thrilled I was pregnant, afterwards back on pill, 1 year later decieded for another child, same again, off the pill painful heavy and not falling. 2 years after that, bingo, ok now after that child, that was it, always thought painful heavy periods were normal, didnt really do much about it apart from heading to drs every now and then for something for the pain. after a few years of this the pain getting so bad, I couldnt walk normaly, would walk around like I was an old lady, worked like this all the time, good days were great, I was a speed walker at work,, bad days, and everyone knew I was having a bad day, walked at 5cms an hour...(you get the idea).. ok time to head back to dr, he sent me to specilist, my first Lap done, nope everything fine, ecept I had large veins on my uterus, ok fine, It will past I was told. forward 5 years, of consent pain , bleeding wasnt really that bad, pain was always worse 2 weeks before periods, cant be my periods then, has to be something else. back to dr. I was mid 20's by this stage, and my life was He** , my marriage was suffering, I was depressed, from always being in pain. back to dr, and a new dr, he was great, my consolt with him was, stand up straight, bend over , bend side ways, " your depressed, which is why your sick" . I walked outta there and just cried, couldnt believe it, what a D**k. so again left it for years, went back to dr, this time I cried and cried and said you have to do something, I was like I had to show him I was at the end of my rope , Ok theres a new product on the market, we will try that, I that doesnt work then its hys time..the Mirena worked and for 5 almost 6 years, I was pain free, I had my life back and it was oh so wonderful, well between this time I moved countries, and the Mirena had been in over the 5 year mark so time for it to come out, when they asked me if I wanted another one back in, I said, NO its been 6 years, maybe whatever was wrong has fixed itself. wow was I ever so wrong. Pain 3 weeks outta 4 , clotting and long preiods. back to dr.. another lap to see , nothing major I was told a cyst and a fibroid. another Mirena put back in, and here I was thinking my lifes gonna get better again, Nope wrong again, It didnt work this time, 3 months it was in back to dr, this time another lap and a hysteroscopy and D&C , and remove and put new mirena in. back for check up 6 weeks later, nope still not working, I didnt even get to tell the dr it wasnt working and he was I think its time for a Hysterectomy. that was 3 months ago, and now here I am 4 days out . wow sorry what a long story, I still dont really know what they found apart from a boggy uterus, still makes me laught when I see that name, boggy..... anyways all I want is to be pain free, so hoping this is it.
sorry this is so long, but for me was good just to write it all down, never done that before.
takecare all and thanks for letting me go on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Thank you all for sharing your stories.
I'm 39 y/o with a devoted and loving husband of 13 years. Unfortunately we've never been able to have kids. I had a mini stroke when I was 28 (due to blood clotting disease - 'stick blood' in laments terms!) and gyno has never really been able to explain my infertility. Dr says if I were to get pregnant it would be high risk anyway. So- we've gone about our lives together, always saying we'd look into adoption (next year... next year, etc). But never happened.

Last 2 years had a couple bad Paps come back but no big deal. Then in Nov 2011 had another test, which had alarming results. After 2 LEEPs and being sent to an oncologist gyno, diagnosed w/cervical cancer. So... hysterectomy is my best option (removal of cervix and uterus - keeping ovaries) All this in the past 3 months and seems overwhelming. Surgery set for March 21st and I feel like the hours are going by very slowly!! (Even though I have a TON of things to do before then).

I'm handling it pretty well but I feel like I am trying to be strong for ALL my loved ones. Almost feel like I'm pressured to make sure everyone will be OK during this time that I should be taking care of ME. I guess that's my personality though. Even though I have no kids, I have many people I work with that I help and take care of (in a business setting) and I feel I am like a psychologist to all my friends. I'm very 'drama free' so they think I have it all 'together' HAHAH Thats funny!!

I was wondering if other women had these same emotions of trying to be strong for others? I know God has a greater purpose for me (which is why I am unable to have kids or why I have to go through this) but sometimes it's easy to lose faith. Thank you all for 'listening' Many prayers go out to everyone!!
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:12 PM

TinaS- im so glad you shared your story. Im hoping for you that you find great COMFORT now that you are on the other side of the castle!

Lmh1017- Yes, I have some similar feelings going on. <3 I have lots of feelings going on trying to deal with needing a daTH w possible TAH & not having a date yet a week after my doc & I discussed going forward w it. I am now taking care of a friend's cat- driving half hr ea way every other day for next week+, listening to a friend who is devastated she cant get pregnant (she has an almost 3yo), & now another friend is upset her hubby went behind her back & got meds to enhance his "desire". All that & I am trying to go through this process of grieving of losing my uterus- even tho its caused so much trouble im still kinda "attached" to it . On top, I am in horrible pain. The driving will land me in bed for a couple hours after each day- but I just couldnt tell my friend "no" abt caring for her cat. You & I & all our "sisters" need to remember to move ourselves up on the priority lists we have. I will be thinking about you & send you many wishes for an uneventful recovery!
(((big hugs)))
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Hi, I'm Stephanie & 36. I'm having mine done due to endometriosis. I've had horrible periods since I was a teen. They were so heavy that last year I had to have 5 IV iron transfusions (day stay procedures) due to severe anemia. I've had 2 lap procedures in the late 90's to remove scar tissue & deal with ovarian cysts. I usually have cysts to the point of an ER visit pop up a few times a year.

I had a tubal after my 4th child was born 12/09 (I had 4 high risk pregnancies), had an ablation in 9/10 and had a bunch of yuck done following some bad pap's about 4 years ago. I am just in a lot of pain every day. It used to be once a month I'd have severe pain but it's become constant. I've ended up in the ER twice this week (my last visit was when my surgery was scheduled) and have had pain to where I debated having my 12 year old call 911 for me a few days ago since I couldn't get off the floor at 5 am & was afraid my 2 year old was going to wake up. Thankfully I see pain management already for my back & knee so they have been able to help make adjustments to help deal with the pain in the mean time before this surgery.

I am not fully recovered & able to walk well from my knee surgery this past August (I walk with a pronounced limp) and need to have back surgery when I'm recovered from this. I was in the middle of setting up the back surgery with my neurosurgeon when this flared up & something uterine related showed on a MRI that was intended for the back. I also have fibromyalgia, Ehlers-Danlos, arthritis, chronic migraines, severe allergies, asthma, gastro paresis (aka I can only eat bland foods & throw up a lot, it's like morning sickness but forever LOL), depression, anxiety, etc, etc. I am hoping that fixing this will help me to be able to particpate more in everything. I feel badly that I have missed so much with my children over the last few years.

Three of my 4 children have on going health problems and my 2 year old son is in the hospital frequently. I am very worried about him through all this (he can't eat food and lives on a liquid diet as well as a blood sugar condition) and my 9 year old daughter's severe anxiety. I just pray that my son doesn't end up in the hospital again while I'm recovering from this (so far he hasn't been hospitalized since January so we have 2 months under our belts of no hospital for him!) & can't be there with him, especially since sometimes he's admitted locally but sometimes had to be hospitalized out of state. My daughter hasn't been doing well anxiety wise & I know this with my surgery is making things worse for her. She does see a therapist and I am going to talk with them about things to better help her at home. I'm back and forth worrying about myself and then about them and about finding someone to come to care for them when my husband is at work. My 2 year old has to wake every 2 hours at night to drink a bottle of his liquid medical food so his care is around the clock, very similar to having a newborn. I feel bad to say it but when I am in the hospital with this will be one of the rare times over the last 2 years when I can sleep for more than 2 hours at a time.
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:31 PM

I started my period when I was around 13 or 14. I had massive ovualtion pains that had me laid up each month. The doctors could not figure it out for anything. I went to a health clinic and that doctor told me it was ovulation pain and put me on the pill. No matter which pill I was on, I still had the pain and massive migraines to go along with it. Suffice it to say, condoms were my best friend after that. Certain times of the month I would have pain during sec depending on the position and how big the guy was. Could not figure that out for anything, just dealt with it. Fast forward to getting married and having my son. Normal delivery and still normal periods with ovulation pain, downscaled to cramps mainly. Got put on the Ortho patch and it helped with the ovulation pain. Got divorced, remarried, and had another child. She was almost ten pounds and did so much damage coming out I had to have a blood transfusion and could not have any more children. I had my tubes tied a year later after a second opinion. I still had ovulation pain but it was just like a period cramp. Fast forward 5 years and my ovulation pain got worse as did the sexx during certain times of the month. Lower back pain set in that we thought was from a car wreck several years before. October of last year, I started having massive ovulation pain that landed me in the ER several times. Went to my gyn and she thinks its endo. She sent me to UAMS and they decide I have PID from a sexually transmitted disease even though we have been married for almost 8 years and neither has cheated and I have been tested every year. Naturally test came back negative. I went to the ER in so much pain one time I passed out in the parking lot and was admitted. One of the best gyn's in town consulted with me and told me to try the Depo shot. I was desperate and said okay. All it did was dull the pain a tiny bit and give me nausea and maigraines. Went back to him a month later and he scheduled me for a full hysterectomy for the 21st of this month. I have not been laproscopically diagnosed with endo but he said there is nothing else it can be and I am ready for the pain to go away. He does not prescribe pain meds until after surgery so I wound up in the ER for the 8th time. They told me I was basically a drug seeker and would not help. Doc gave me a few pain pills and told me to hang in there. I am in almost constant pain instead of just around ovulation and periods. I have not had a period since the shot in Jan. but I still get the worst cramps possible when it is due to arrive. I am anxious about the surgery but ready to be pain free for once in my life. I have a loving husband who is standing by me during all this even though we cannot and have not had sex in well over 6 months with another 3 or 4 before it will be possible. Sex has become the most painful thing for me, not during usually but after. I love this forum and the support everyone gives each other. I go for my pre-op appt on the 16th to find out which type of surgery I am having. I know everything is getting taken out because I have cysts on my ovaries and he feels it will be better to get it all out and so do I.

Unread 03-11-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggs1980 View Post
I started my period when I was around 13 or 14. I had massive ovualtion pains that had me laid up each month. The doctors could not figure it out for anything. I went to a health clinic and that doctor told me it was ovulation pain and put me on the pill. No matter which pill I was on, I still had the pain and massive migraines to go along with it. Suffice it to say, condoms were my best friend after that. Certain times of the month I would have pain during sec depending on the position and how big the guy was. Could not figure that out for anything, just dealt with it. Fast forward to getting married and having my son. Normal delivery and still normal periods with ovulation pain, downscaled to cramps mainly. Got put on the Ortho patch and it helped with the ovulation pain. Got divorced, remarried, and had another child. She was almost ten pounds and did so much damage coming out I had to have a blood transfusion and could not have any more children. I had my tubes tied a year later after a second opinion. I still had ovulation pain but it was just like a period cramp. Fast forward 5 years and my ovulation pain got worse as did the sexx during certain times of the month. Lower back pain set in that we thought was from a car wreck several years before. October of last year, I started having massive ovulation pain that landed me in the ER several times. Went to my gyn and she thinks its endo. She sent me to UAMS and they decide I have PID from a sexually transmitted disease even though we have been married for almost 8 years and neither has cheated and I have been tested every year. Naturally test came back negative. I went to the ER in so much pain one time I passed out in the parking lot and was admitted. One of the best gyn's in town consulted with me and told me to try the Depo shot. I was desperate and said okay. All it did was dull the pain a tiny bit and give me nausea and maigraines. Went back to him a month later and he scheduled me for a full hysterectomy for the 21st of this month. I have not been laproscopically diagnosed with endo but he said there is nothing else it can be and I am ready for the pain to go away. He does not prescribe pain meds until after surgery so I wound up in the ER for the 8th time. They told me I was basically a drug seeker and would not help. Doc gave me a few pain pills and told me to hang in there. I am in almost constant pain instead of just around ovulation and periods. I have not had a period since the shot in Jan. but I still get the worst cramps possible when it is due to arrive. I am anxious about the surgery but ready to be pain free for once in my life. I have a loving husband who is standing by me during all this even though we cannot and have not had sex in well over 6 months with another 3 or 4 before it will be possible. Sex has become the most painful thing for me, not during usually but after. I love this forum and the support everyone gives each other. I go for my pre-op appt on the 16th to find out which type of surgery I am having. I know everything is getting taken out because I have cysts on my ovaries and he feels it will be better to get it all out and so do I.

wow , your pain sounds just like mine, wishing you all the best for the 21st, I just had mine done on the 7th and already feel so much better without my 'normal pain'
sometimes dr's really dont know what theyre talkin about, would like them to live with our pain for just a few days and see if they would still call us drug seekers
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaS View Post
wow , your pain sounds just like mine, wishing you all the best for the 21st, I just had mine done on the 7th and already feel so much better without my 'normal pain'
sometimes dr's really dont know what theyre talkin about, would like them to live with our pain for just a few days and see if they would still call us drug seekers
Thanks for the wishes and I am glad yours went well. I am hoping I can get the da Vinci surgery since my doc is actually one of the few around here qualified for it. I just found that out a few minutes ago looking at my hospital's web site. I guess I will find out on friday. The day the doc in the er told me he could not help me, my mom about jumped him. My hubby was home with our daughter or else he would have been arrested for assault! He sees me each and everyday hurting so bad I cannot stand it so he hates it when docs tell me to suck it up or I am just looking for meds. It is hard to get them to understand since I cannot take but a few different kinds and those are the ones most people abuse. Oh well, only 10 days to go!!!

Unread 03-12-2012, 12:47 AM

I started my period when I was 9, yes 9 years old. By junior high I would grey out from my twice monthly periods. My doctor put me on the pill at 13. I was on the pill until I had children and wasn't ever able to tolerate it again after that. Had a tubal ligation and all was well for about ten years. Then endometriosis and very painful periods. Now I have adenomyisis and am in pain every day period or not. I'm looking forward to a future that may not include so much pain. That future begins this Thursday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register