Why are you getting your hysterectomy? - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are you getting your hysterectomy? Why are you getting your hysterectomy?

Unread 04-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Re: Why are you getting your hysterectomy?

I didn't add that I had a ca125 test come back elevated so for 2 weeks I was told I had ovarian cancer more than likely. Extensive testing has shown no internal signs of cancer anywhere so let's hope that is correct. I feel pretty good since my lymph nodes, cervix and uterus was clear of any cancer cells but this has been a nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM

I'm having mine because of heavy bleeding, long periods with only 10 days between, polyps and fibroids in my uterus. This has been such a hard time for me, I put talking about it with the Dr. for 4 yrs. I knew they were going to tell my hyst. and I just wasn't ready. My kids are now 8 & 9 and I'm ready to go swimming, camping, and fishing without making sure I have plenty of 'supplies'. My Dr. told me I had to have my cervix removed because of precancer cells, I really wanted to keep my cervix, but Dr. knows best.
2 days to go until surgery and wouldn't you know, I started my period today...really had to get one last in, the 7th one this year. I will be so glad when I am on the other side!
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM

I have suffered the painful periods, the flooding and blood clots as well. My 4cm fibroid has grown from it's stalk and found it's way to my cervix. My uterus decided it didn't belong and has been trying to rid itself from it. It is now protruding into my cervix, dilating me. I was told I that the safest removal is a TAH. Sex has been painful, and therefore nonexistent, and I suffer bleeding afterwards. I can't lift or walk too much, or I bleed. I can't play golf or ski, or I bleed. If I have intercourse, I bleed. I know, I said that already, but it's worth mentioning twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM

My pre-op thyroid hormone labs came in all wacky and at first we thought I might have to reschedule...which threw me for a loop. I hate that pre-op appointment. It makes the surgery all too real. Because I've had around 9 procedures in the past ten years I know what to expect and how to prepare. If you have nausea, be sure to alert your doc. They have meds for that! If you are anxious, tell them and they can provide some meds for that! I have a patch for the night prior for my reaction to the anesthesia and some anti-nausea meds for the days I am at home. The bowel prep sucks, frankly. I will have a liquid diet most of Saturday before the fun starts mid-Sunday. Don't be afraid to take control here and ask lots of questions. Good luck ladies!
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Hope the bleeding becomes a bad memory and you can enjoy being in the saddle soon !
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread! Thank you all for sharing your stories. Here's mine:

From the time I got my first period (age 13), I've been irregular. I went on the pill at 18 to regulate my periods. That was all fine until I tried to get pregnant, at which point my periods were few and far between, but when they did come around, they were awful. I was told if I wanted to get pregnant I needed to take fertility meds and if not, I needed to go back on the pill. I chose the pill. I was 29.

Time went by uneventfully until a couple years ago when clotting and cramping became unbearable. I had an ablation last June (doc also removed a large fibroid during that surgery). It didn't take. I went back on the pill in December and it's not helping either. Periods are nearly 2 weeks long and the pain is like nothing I've felt before.

And I'm exhausted all the time! I didn't correlate any of that until reading some others' experiences here. And I avoid sex with my husband because it's often painful.

I'm 44 years old, no kids. I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO 8 weeks from today. When I met with my gyn a couple weeks ago, she said "so are you ready to fire your uterus?"

Yes. Yes, I am.
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM

After the birth of my third child I began having strange pains in my uterus. My doctors blew me off and said it was just pain from the scarring. It became so bad and my doctors then kept saying I had a urinary tract infection, after months of trying many different antibiotics they finally said the UTI test was contaminated and I didn't have one at all. I began going to ERs for tests but they too wouldn't do anything. I gave up and it's been three almost four years of pain during intercourse, long and skipped periods, pain while jumping as if my uterus was going to fall out, and even the feeling as if something is just wrong. I finally got insurance again and was able to find a new doctor. He did a blood test and ultrasound and diagnosed me with Adenomyosis, a retroverted uterus and PCOS. I'm scheduled for my surgery on the 31st of May. I'll be 27 in a few days! Hopefully I can begin my journey to a happier and healthy me!
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM

My periods are lasting about 7-9 days of heavy bleeding. So heavy I've become anemic.
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM

I'm having my hyster because I have run out of options!
Have had uterine polyps removed & suffered with heavy, long, painful periods due to several large fribroids. In 2009 I had the cycle that wouldn't end....so after 70 days decided I had to make a choice. Chose the UFE to aviod the hyster....worked for less than 3 years...now due to post monopausal bleeding & a "worrisome" pathology report..it's time for it all to go! Looking forward to enjoying my life again!
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Mine is totally elective. I'm sure many would say it's not necessary. Well, to me it is. Had ablation done about 5 years ago, it helped for a few years and gradually periods are getting heavier and heavier...not like before but getting worse, very clumpy and clotty. I have a period before my period. Random, out of the blue but always a week before my regular period comes, sort of hangs around that week before, coming and going, you never know what's going to happen and then I have my regular period for 5-6 days, sometimes longer. I'm ready to be period free!!!! yippppeeee!!! Come on May 1st... let's do this!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register