Scheduled LSH Need some answers!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need some answers!!! Need some answers!!!

Unread 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Need some answers!!!

I am scheduled for my laparoscopic surgery March 20th. I have heard I will need a pillow for my belly. Is there a special kind, or can I use a regular one, or even a pillow pet? I do not have alot of money to spend on the kind suggested here. Also, what are my limitations on stairs? Driving? Recovery time? How can I make this easy as possible, as I will have NO help during reecovery. I have heard getting out of bed is the hardest. How do I manage by myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Re: Need some answers!!!

Awww wish i could take care of you! All i can say is laproscopic surgery isnt too bad. I had 13 staples when i was 17 & a pillow helped but was still rough to say the least. I since have had 2 lap surgeries resulting in little incisions on top of prior incisions & that wasnt the worst part. I havent had hyst yet though. lol bless you!!! I wish you had someone to help you.
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM

You're very welcome!!
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:55 PM

for you honey!
I did not buy a special pillow, just used a small soft one I happened to have at home. I would put it between my knees so I could lay on my side or under my knees to lay on my back.

I'm sorry you have no help at home. I suggest cooking lots of meals and freezing them already separated into single meal portions. Make a pot of soup the day before surgery so you have it in the fridge when you come home. You will need Gas X and stool softener for post op. My heating pad was indispensable. I had it on almost all day and night. It's worth the investment. Some ladies like the belly binders but there is no way I could have worn one, my tummy was too sore. I suggest you ask your doctor to write you the prescription for you post op pain meds now so that you can get them filled and already at home.

Wishing you the best
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Thank you. My other concern is bedroom and bathroom are upstairs, kitchen downstairs..just my luck!!! I am going to have to ask how many times a day I would be allowed to go up/down my steps. What is the gas x for? I have a heating pad that I use daily for my chronic pain and fibromyalgia. I have my pre-op tomorrow, and I know I will be sent home with instructions after surgery, but I would like to be as prepared as possible!!!!
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilynfatman View Post
I am scheduled for my laparoscopic surgery March 20th. I have heard I will need a pillow for my belly. Is there a special kind, or can I use a regular one, or even a pillow pet? I do not have alot of money to spend on the kind suggested here. Also, what are my limitations on stairs? Driving? Recovery time? How can I make this easy as possible, as I will have NO help during reecovery. I have heard getting out of bed is the hardest. How do I manage by myself?
I know exactly what you are going through. I special pillow isn't required, you can use one that you already have. My nurse in the hospital folded up a blanket for me to hold against my belly so that I could cough or sneeze. And it would be nice to have something to prevent your seatbelt from irritating your incision during your drive home.

There are so many resources on this website. Use the search feature to read the other sister's experiences from their recovery. You will find the information to be extremely helpful.

Sending hugs your way.
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Thank you
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilynfatman View Post
Thank you. My other concern is bedroom and bathroom are upstairs, kitchen downstairs..just my luck!!! I am going to have to ask how many times a day I would be allowed to go up/down my steps. What is the gas x for? I have a heating pad that I use daily for my chronic pain and fibromyalgia. I have my pre-op tomorrow, and I know I will be sent home with instructions after surgery, but I would like to be as prepared as possible!!!!
I had no problems at all getting in and out of my bed, which was surprising as it is quite high. You will have gas pains post op and they're pretty painful, Gas X helps with that. And the first bowel movement is very difficult so stool softeners and prune or apple juice, bran muffins, etc to help you "go" with a minimum of pushing. Some women set themselves up in a recliner or on the couch downstairs for the first week. When you get home you will know what you're capable of and it's important to listen to your body. No housework (including sweeping and laundry) until your doctor clears you at 4-8 weeks.
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM

I had the same surgery and was really pleasantly surprised at how good I felt when I returned home the next day. Getting up and down was fine as long as I took it slow and didn't push. The tiny pillow really was a lifesaver during sitting and standing, and especially in the hospital. Any little throw pillow could work, but I was lucky enough to find one in a weird little travel section of Walgreens for $3.99! It was just like a mini pillow, shrunken down, same shape, with a navy pillowcase. Once I got home I really had no trouble bending over, picking things up etc. My suggestion would be to go shopping before your surgery and pick up easy to grab and eat foods. I ate lots of yogurt, fruit, soup etc... cooking is definitely too much in the first couple days. Good luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register