cooking post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cooking post-op cooking post-op

Unread 03-09-2012, 09:06 PM
cooking post-op

Hi - Kitty here - - I will be having a TAH-BSO soon - just waiting for the surgical scheduler to call me with a date.

I was thinking about marathon cooking prior to my visit to the castle and freezing our meals ahead of time.

How long did you other princesses wait before resuming kitchen duty? I have found things that say not to cook for a while during recovery, but not really how long. How many days, weeks, of meals should I prepare?

And, no, I don't eat my DH's cooking... Neither would the kids when they were growing up.

Thanks, ladies - hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Re: cooking post-op

Grannykat -

I had a TAH BSO, and it took me about two weeks before I could cook a meal, and then I had to make them pretty short and still have help part way through (DH would finish). It was probably four weeks before I could do a complete meal by myself. Even then I tried to keep them simple.

I would recommend lots of frozen meals, and then meals that are really easy that do not require much standing for prep and cooking.

Good luck to you...

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM

TAH BSO here as well and I can say it was probably about 2 weeks. I also did the marathon cooking sessions and put up frozen meals. It was such a relief to know that these meals were already cooked and all that was needed was to take them out of the freezer! It will give you a peace of mind to have this done.

Good luck on your surgery and hope you have a great recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2012, 09:44 PM

Hi there. I made a ton of soup and some nice chicken and a pork roast and froze small portions. My neighbors have been bringing food over--heaven bless them! I had a lot of fresh fruit and veggies in the house and I haven't gotten constipated. Soup was what really appealed to me the first week. It helped me stay hydrated too. All i do is microwave now. Good luck with surgery and recovery
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Thank you - I was also wondering about the appetite - I will make some light meals (soups and such) for me for the first bit, and probably more substantial stuff for hubby - fortunately he likes about anything I make. I wish chicken and dumplin's froze well
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Hi there! Me to! About 2 weeks before cooking . I love to cook , but I was lucky that I had family members to help out. Yes , soup helped me out too the first week. Drink lots of water to keep hydrated and move around a little bit. I found that I coundn't eat to much because my inner stitches felt like they were pulling when my stomach got big from eating. Good luck, hugs to you for your surgery day.
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:11 AM

I froze chili, and meatloaf. Now it is only something easy like soup and grilled cheese. 5 weeks post op, love to cook but can't get my groove back. I lost my appetite as well. I am up every 2 hours. Do not sleep well at all. Will ask doctor what to do next week at post op appt.
Unread 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM

Hi Jerseygirl54! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but relax and take your time about cooking. Everything will come back to normal. I to, at times feel confused and absent minded but I push a little. I think I'm eating less...but why aren't the pounds going down? Hmmmm?As far as the sleeping matter, i started drinking some herbal "sleeptime" tea, is seems to work. Let me know what your Doctor says about it . Hey, Do you have any belly swelling? Talk to you soon.
Unread 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Have swelly belly late in the afternoon and early evening. I have lost weight, but can't figure out how either.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register