finally made a decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

finally made a decision finally made a decision

Unread 03-10-2012, 09:29 AM
finally made a decision

First, let me say how grateful I am to have found this site...the information conveyed, the stories told and the advice given have allowed me to come to grips with everything that has been happening and I really appreciate you, sisters!!!!

After two years of increasingly horrible symptoms, I found that it was NOT too much pizza, but a uterus the size of a cantelope filled with lemon sized fibroids that was causing the problems I have been having. I have been asked several times when I was "due". And how did my 13 year old son feel about having a new brother or sister? (Asked in front of him, too!!) More importantly, in the past months, I have been bleeding heavily in between irregular periods. Every moment of every day, I feel like I just ate a huge Thanksgiving dinner. I can no longer sleep on my stomach. No fun!! Due to a past c-section, a ovary removal due to dermoid cyst, and an appendectomy, my doctor and I decided to do an abdominal hysterectomy. The question was the hotly debated...keep/lose cervix? keep/lose remaining ovary?

My dr. wants to keep the cervix but remove the remaining ovary. He says there is a statistically significant rate of recurrance in my other ovary and doesn't want me to have another abdominal surgery. He also says it will be easier to regulate my hormones if they all come from the outside....After much research, I have finally agreed with him. And I'm ok with it!!!

You see, I'm the type of person that can't make a decision without exploring all the possibilities. And learning all the alternatives. I started this journey thinking I could maybe just take some Chasteberry and Milk Thistle and I would be fine....Alas, for me, it was not meant to be. Same with UFE. So, I am scheduled for surgery in about a month. (sigh) I will continue to read here every chance I get...I'm sure as I get closer to the Castle, I will need more directions!!

Thanks.......Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Re: finally made a decision

Making the choice becomes easier when we explore all options and the only option left is the surgery...
It is a tough choice but once made it takes away a lot of the pressure of trying to figure things out. A game pan it set in motion.
April will come soon enough and then the healing will begin for you..

Unread 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM

thanks Luv, I do feel calmer since making a decision...now I will start preparing for surgery...such a joy being a woman, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Laura,

It sounds as if you are making the right decision. I had a TAH BSO for a large ovarian cyst (size of a very large great fruit) and numerous uterine fibroids.

We as women take the lumps that we have to and move forward. BUT, we do it in the company of friends. We will help you through this. Many of us were where you are now, and know how you feel.

Do get on this site and post your questions, feelings, fears, emotional tirades, roller coasters crazies, etc. It really does help.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Welcome Laura,
You find lots of information and support here. We understand and know how you feel. Im glad you're at peace wih removing your other ovary. I believe it really makes a difference if you go into surgery at peace with your decisions. The cervix is really a personal decision and your doctor is the best person to advise you about this. Perhaps make a list of questions to discuss with him. For example: is is helpful to keep the cervix to support the pelvic floor? And what is the risk of continuing to have mini periods if it's kept? There are a lot of pros and cons.
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM

Laura, happy to hear you feel this way. I can't explain it, but when you know you just know. You and your DR click, it just feels like the right thing to do. And I think that feeling makes your recovery that much better. I had the same experience presurgery and have had no regrets postsurgery.

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks ladies...such a big help to me...
Marestail...your cyst was on one ovary? So they removed both? have you been taking hormones? How is that going?
Sugar...my dr. feels keeping the cervix "keeps everything in its place". Lots of pros and cons on that one...
ShatziiLKF...I'm not sure if my dr. and I actually "click", but I respect that he gives me info. and lets me make my own decision. He is a very good surgeon, I'm told. My previous (16 year) gyno. recently retired due to illness so I was sort of under the gun to find a new one. Previous gyno. recommended new guy...
Unread 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM

Laura, there is always the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you cervix is healthy and your doctor thinks it reasonable to keep it, then that's a strong consideration. My cervix was not healthy, so this wasn't an option for me.
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Laura,

Yes my complex cyst (size was 12 x 9 x 11 cm - roughly the size of a very, very large great fruit) was on just one ovary. I also had numerous fibroids in my uterus. My gyn onc surgeon said that my other ovary would probably do the same thing within five years. And due to my age (46) recommended that it all come out. He said if I was younger (say in my 30's or 20's) he would try to save more. There was also a chance that this was cancerous - all was benign, thankfully.

I am on hormones - low dose estrogen. I tried to do the surgical menopause without it but my symptoms were way too severe and horrible to go without.

(((Hugs))) to you...
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM

True adage Sugar. I guess in my case, it would be...If it ain't broke now, but there is a strong chance that it will become broke, neccesitating another surgery, then fix it! I think I would always be thinking that the remaining ovary was failing...every twinge, every mood swing...my dr. has said its a 20% chance of recurrance on the other side and i am just not a great gambler...off with its head!!

Thanks Marestail.. our stories are quite similar and I'm really glad you are doing well. Did you feel "lighter" and "emptier" right after the surgery?

Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register