Newfound Insomnia, 4 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newfound Insomnia, 4 days post-op Newfound Insomnia, 4 days post-op

Unread 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Newfound Insomnia, 4 days post-op

I am 4 days post-op and have not been sleeping much at all. I want to but end up laying in bed at night frustrated because I am so tired but not falling asleep!!! I have not napped at all during day since returning home. I hardly slept at all the two nights prior to my surgery and of course I didn't sleep much my night at the hospital. Prior to surgery, I fell asleep at the blink of a hat, if I was watching a movie, I'd be out before the middle of the movie. Last night it was 4 o'clock before I fell asleep!

Is anyone else experiencing this "new insomnia"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Re: Newfound Insomnia, 4 days post-op

I am about 2.5 weeks post op & have been having a very difficult time with sleep as well-it started at about one week post op. That first week I felt like all I did was sleep. Now I wish I could get a full nights sleep or even a nap in the afternoon.
Unread 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Almost 5 weeks post op. I have been awake since 3:00 am. The night before it was 1:00. Awake all night. 1st 2 weeks I was on percocet, and managed to get some sleep. I go to the dr. at the end of next week for post op, and will ask him what the cure is. Everyone that I have spoken to has the same problem. Will let you know what he tells me. Very frustrating. I just come out on the sofa and watch TV in the wee hours of the morning hoping that I will doze off. No such luck. Feel revved up, but not doing anything to justify the sleeplessness. No fun here. Just hope this passes for all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm in the same boat almost 5 weeks and haven't taken Percocet or Ibuprofen since 2 days after surgery......As of 2:30am this morning I've been up yes working on almost 15 hours now and this has been going on and off now since week#1 atleast 3-4 days a week

I have never been a person too take naps and I guess my body still remembers that so come around 7:30-8pm tonight I'm ready for bed and PRAYING I don't get up the next day until atleast 8am...and before surgery I'm a early bird up no later than 5am.

Yes Jersey revved up all day.....how are we healing with not enough rest?
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Have you ladies checked out our Insomnia article? It might have some suggestions that might help.
Unread 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM

This is so common with or without ovaries. I have had it a year and brought anxity with it which just adds to it. Some things to try melatonin time released walking in the sun if you can, I ended up on sleeping pills that.just made it worse, so bad I wasnt sleeping.at all, benadryl helps but only for a short time, if you are early post op.and just having the meds clear takes awhile, I now take a mild anti anxity and klonipin and thix has what finally helped never thought I would have to but when it became unbearable I gave in give it time and try to get outside even at night going out has a calming effect
Unread 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Hi there, I'm feeling this sleepless pattern too. I will be on week 5 tomorrow. It doesn't happen every night but at least 3-4 a week. I'm trying different things to see if anything helps. I take naps durning the day, I try to get out for a two hrs a few days week to see if that helps. I drink Chalomine / mint tea at night. Listen to relaxing music on my iPod, read a book. It can be fustrating but have patience it's part of recovery.. Take care sending hugs your way. Xoxo
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:01 PM

I had the same problem. I'm 6 weeks post op and it is getting a little better. It's so frustrating. I was always able to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Good luck!!
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:03 AM

I had this problem too. I would lay awake all night. If i fell asleep it was around 4am but i would wake up around 7am and not sleep during the day. I tried melatonin, OTC sleep aides, lavender and finally amber (only tried that once with supervision from my husband). My doctor had given me a list of hings to try and said to use ambien as the last resort. It did not do anything for me. Turns out the only thing I needed was to go back to work. I went back to work full time on March 1. (@7 weeks) and I have no more sleep issues. As a matter of fact I'm falling asleep faster and sleeping 8-9 hours.
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:09 AM

novelist-great to hear somebody is sleeping. 5 weeks post op.hope to sleep soon. still be carefull not to overdo it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register