Scheduled TAH What is TAH vs DaVinci? Back to work discrepencies. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is TAH vs DaVinci?  Back to work discrepencies. What is TAH vs DaVinci? Back to work discrepencies.

Unread 03-10-2012, 06:32 PM
What is TAH vs DaVinci? Back to work discrepencies.

What is TAH? Is that total hysterectomy? I know I am having a total hysterectomy, but the type is DaVinci. I cant find ANYONE who went back to work at 2 weeks, but my doctor is very sure I will be ready then. My date for surgery is March 13. I know it all depends on what type of work you do, how far you have to drive, your age, etc., but when I read the post op posts, no one says they when back at the end of week 2. They are all posting 4,5,6,7,8 weeks! Why such a huge discrepency? Confused. I can't afford t take off that much time; we'd lose our house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Re: What is TAH vs DaVinci? Back to work discrepencies.

TAH stands for Trans Abdominal Hysterectomy, ie, old fashioned, abdominal incision. DaVinci is DvH in the profile. It is, to my understanding, robot guided, and much less invasive. I am scheduled for a LAVH, Laproscopically assisted Vaginal hysterectomy, that has a possibility of being converted to TAH.

As it stands for my TAH, I was told 6-8 weeks if it is textbook, more for issues. If it is converted, I am assuming at least 8.
I , too have never heard of someone being able to return at 2!! I have always seen 4, for safe measure...
Unread 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM

I had the davinci surgery on 2/21; returned to work for 1/2 days (4 hours) on 3/05. Desk work with frequent standing/short walks around my office made it manageable but I was ready to find my sofa after the 4 hour mark! I plan to return full time on 3/19. I too could not afford to take off much more than I did & I was ready to get up & out for a bit after 2 weeks. My biggest challenge has been fatigue-pain/swelling etc. have been both minimal & manageable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2012, 08:25 PM

TAH actually stands for Total Abdominal Hysterectomy, and the surgery is done with an incision through the abdomen. A total hysterectomy means that both uterus and cervix are removed.

I had a TAH BSO (both ovaries and tubes also removed), and I have a 6 inch vertical slit on my tummy. I went back to work (desk job) after three weeks post op. I could only work part time (20 hours) for four weeks, and then finally returned to work full time. But, I could not do any overtime for quite a while.

Good luck to you. I hope you can return in two weeks. Could you return part time if necessary?

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Hi "sister".
I am having Davinci surgery on March 13 also!
My situation is, I want to travel 5 days after my surgery.
Ride, not drive, for 8 hours. (of course taking breaks/stops every hour or two)
I don't know if this is going to work out.
What are everyones thoughts?
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM

ooops!! sorry about that! lol! I'm hoping for mine not to go TAH( because I only work on my feet) , but we shall see!
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Thank you
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Yes...maybe. That is a good thought for the back of my mind. Thank you.
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope-Faith View Post
Hi "sister".
I am having Davinci surgery on March 13 also!
My situation is, I want to travel 5 days after my surgery.
Ride, not drive, for 8 hours. (of course taking breaks/stops every hour or two)
I don't know if this is going to work out.
What are everyones thoughts?
Depending on what you have planned for your trip would make a big difference in my opinion. The 8 hour drive may be a bit long but if you are going somewhere relaxing it my be worth it.

I am having the Davinci surgery on the 20th and am going on a trip 2 weeks later. I too read that it takes 4-8 weeks to heal and I wonder if 2 weeks will be enough time to heal. My Dr assures me also that 2 weeks is plenty of time to heal up and go out of town for 5 days. My kids are older (14 & 12) so between them and my husband I wont need to lift anything.

We visited some friends last year around this time and my friend had a hysterectomy a week prior to our stay, she took us on walks up very large hills and all, we went out to dinner and many other things. She did opt out of kayaking and other sports. She is also a fitness trainer so she knows her limits well and was able to get back into the swing of everyday life pretty quickly! I do not expect to "bounce" back as quickly as her but do hope to have a similar experience .

Right now I am more concerned about getting through the surgery! These forums help so much knowing so many others have the same feelings as I do!
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:41 PM

I am 5 weeks post op davinci BSO only. My surgery was successful, have no kids at home, have cleaning girls come in, had made ahead meals frozen, and no matter how i tried, and boy do I want to, I just couldn't do it. I went back to dr.2 week post op. No internal. Just had dr.look at stitches. Go back for 6 week post op the end of the week. Best of everything, and keep us posted. Word of advice if you get in a car is to roll a towel up between your stomach and the stearing wheel or passenger seat, and hook seat belt over it. If someone stops short or you brake too quick you will feel it. Acts as a buffer. I have only been in a car 4 times, and I am wiped out from those trips. All the best. Keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register