To Mousse Or Not To Mousse, that is the ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Mousse Or Not To Mousse, that is the ?? To Mousse Or Not To Mousse, that is the ??

Unread 03-11-2012, 12:13 AM
To Mousse Or Not To Mousse, that is the ??

There are other threads that have discussed this, and I've read through them, but they didn't answer my question quite to my satisfaction. So, please allow me to post this question again to you wise ladies!

I'm a day away from my surgery (uuuggghhhh! nooooooooo!), and I'm trying to get things squared away ahead of time. I have very dry, fuzzy, long naturally curly hair that I colored tonight because I had just a tad bit of roots showing, and I figured it'd be a while before I'd feel up to doing it again since I use professional color which takes longer than the drugstore type. I normally wash my hair every 2 days or so because of the dryness, and I usually let my color sit for a few days before I wash it after color, so I don't dry it out more. So, tonight after I rinsed out the color, I put in my leave in conditioner and a little (less than a ping pong ball size) mousse just for control. I wasn't trying to make it look good, just reign it in. Then I remembered no products. But I really don't want to have to wash it again tomorrow night. How crucial is it to not have even a little product in your hair? I plan on being good with no lotion, perfume, deodorant, etc. And I won't use any metal hair pins, etc. But why no hair products, and can I get away with just a little? Would I be ok if I brushed it out? And what's the reason for no hair products?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Re: To Mousse Or Not To Mousse, that is the ??

I have the same long, dry, frizzy hair you do and know it is not fun to go into surgery without product in my hair, but the orders are given to us for a reason. Your surgery can be cancelled if you do not follow orders to the "T" and/or you can endanger your life, so it really isn't worth the risk.

If you are not going to wash your hair and leave out all products as directed, you need to check with your medical facility about how crucial it is. It can depend on their equipment, procedures, etc. Some of our members have been told the issue with hair product is flammability.

Unread 03-11-2012, 06:35 AM

I sympathise, my hair is long curly and frizzy too. I don't know why no hair products, but I would imagine it's to prevent contamination or infection in case of any transfer. I hate sitting in the waiting room with my big curly mop and stinky pits, but everyone else is the same and they won't notice you. Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2012, 07:43 AM

My understanding regarding no hair products is that the scalp absorbs products very easily, and as as the hair products generally contain chemicals, it is wise not to load the body with any chemicals prior to surgery as with the anaesthetic, pain killers etc, the body will have enough to cope with - also there could be a conflict between the hair product chemicals and the drugs. (very low risk but best to take no chances).

I got my hair washed a blow dryed at the hair dressers the day prior to my surgery with no products used. The professionals can make your hair look great without the products when they have to. Mine looked great after the surgery and certainly gave me a little boost

Best wishes with your surgery - it will be all over your very soon.

Kallinda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register