Feel like nobody believes me... - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feel like nobody believes me... Feel like nobody believes me...

Unread 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Re: Feel like nobody believes me...

Sighing in relief, one of my worst fears is that this is all in my head. With all the drug seekers out there, you are always given the side eye when you see a Dr for pain. I try to "suck it up" as much as possible. But I am no hero. I had 5 children with the aide of anesthesia and don't feel I should go through what FEELS LIKE LABOR pains without a little something to take the edge off. My problem is that it took me so long to finally secure my surgery date that I am afraid to complain as I don't want to mess with things. I had a hysteroscopy in Oct to clear pooling blood in my uterus thanks to the ablation, a period the entire month of Nov, spotting and ridiculous cramping in Dec, the period came back briefly in January. Brown gross yuck through most of Feb and since last Friday night total hell bleeding and cramping. And that is only the past 6 months. Nothing can be worse than this and I no longer care what people think. It is very reassuring to know that just because nothing stands out on diagnostics, it doesn't necessarily mean nothing is going on in there! My worst fear is that they are going to get in there and find nothing wrong. I don't know what I'd do if they told me post op that the surgery was unnecessary. Just my mind playing devil's advocate. 15 days and counting...hope I last that long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Forgot to add for those suffering with nausea...script meds that work well are Zofran and Tigan...pills/suppositories if vomiting is an issue. I had my share of nausea during pregnancies and what always worked for me were lemonade or lemon sour candy, plain potato chips and fresh ginger. You can chew a small piece of ginger or diced it up and brew it in tea...sounds weird but tested and true 5 times over! Feel better...I should have a gold medal in vomiting....since childhood it's always been one of my specialties...lucky me! Ironically, I have never vomited after surgery...and I have had 5! It just hit me...5 kids...(vaginally...I hate when people say naturally...all childbirth is natural)...and 5 surgeries...that's a lot of time spent on lady business!!
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM

I just finished reading the Spoon Theory. Don't be offended by my next statement please. I usually don't buy into psychobabble foo foo things, sorry. By the end of the story, I was sobbing. This is exactly how I feel. I deal with a chronic pain thing from a failed bone graft in my neck and, until 5 months ago, my menstrual ordeal. I will most certainly "steal" the metaphors in this story to explain why I am how I am at times. Thank you for recommending it for a read. I never complained about my period other that to ask for Mirena to help with my periods. It was during this exam that my extremely huge uterus was detected. My previous gyn had never mentioned this and always dismissed my period comments to the normal aches and pains of women. The U/S showed many fibroids, cysts and polyps. I had my hyster on 10/20/11. Path showed a 11.6lb uterus and ovaries strangled by endo. I wasn't a wimp after all. It is the invisible-ness of these tribulations that make it so hard for others to understand. Thank God for this site. I wish I did not have to belong to this sorority, but I am sure happy that it is here. Good Luck to all and peace through this journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Feel like nobody believes me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStar31 View Post
Sighing in relief, one of my worst fears is that this is all in my head. With all the drug seekers out there, you are always given the side eye when you see a Dr for pain. I try to "suck it up" as much as possible. But I am no hero. I had 5 children with the aide of anesthesia and don't feel I should go through what FEELS LIKE LABOR pains without a little something to take the edge off. My problem is that it took me so long to finally secure my surgery date that I am afraid to complain as I don't want to mess with things. I had a hysteroscopy in Oct to clear pooling blood in my uterus thanks to the ablation, a period the entire month of Nov, spotting and ridiculous cramping in Dec, the period came back briefly in January. Brown gross yuck through most of Feb and since last Friday night total hell bleeding and cramping. And that is only the past 6 months. Nothing can be worse than this and I no longer care what people think. It is very reassuring to know that just because nothing stands out on diagnostics, it doesn't necessarily mean nothing is going on in there! My worst fear is that they are going to get in there and find nothing wrong. I don't know what I'd do if they told me post op that the surgery was unnecessary. Just my mind playing devil's advocate. 15 days and counting...hope I last that long!
I had cervical cancer but that didn't explain the severe pain I had been in for the last 8 months, I felt like people thought I was an addict and didn't believe me, except my doc and my wonderful hubby! My worst fear was also that they wouldn't find anything. I am now 6 days post op and still don't know what exactly was found but know they found enough to remove both ovaries and tubes and that wasn't expected. Hang in there, we are here for you!
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks mb...get plenty of rest and be sure to keep us posted on your recovery!
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM

I think that docs underestimate our pain and how bad it can be. Just because we are working, they assume it can't be that bad. Well what they don't realize is that at work I would go in the bathroom and be on the floor in pain waiting for my meds to work. I would just grit and bear it because it was so intense. Thank god I found a great pain doc who listens to me and understands how many of us try to hide the horrific pain. It took time to get a doc who listened to me. The only thing that kept me from being labelled as drug seeker was that I can't take any narcotics for pain. So they realized I didn't really want narcotics.
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedinoz View Post
val243 Thank you for the tips. I'll be sure to add that to my list of things to discuss with the doc! Did you get the gas before you fell asleep or how did they knock you out? Do you remember? I had gas last time and that made me so so nauseated they just hurried and put me out before I could puke on them. Hoping this time I'm out before I'm gassed.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and all the best to you!
The anesthesia doc gave me a shot to relax me before they took me to the operating room and the she gave me another one to knock me out. She also took my nausea concerns very seriously and said she would give me 2 different kinds of meds. 1 at the beginning and 1 towards the end of surgery.
She was also wonderful about my concerns of waking up too soon. My family has an issue with meds as we need more than the average person. It's a redhead thing I guess!

I don't remember any gas at all other then the kind I got a day or two after surgery. Thank goodness for Gas-X!

Hope your surgery goes smooth!
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:55 AM

Littlestar! Isn't Zofran what they give people after Chemo? I'll try anything at this point, I need to eat again! I'm hungry all the time, but too nauseated to eat! I'll be calling about that tomorrow morning! I'll also mention it to the anesthesiologist and anyone else that will listen That's a difficult thing to get people to do. Thank you all for letting me complain<3
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Wicked in Oz...it is. I learned about it when my sister was going through chemo for BC. She suggested it when I was hospitalized back in January and I was extremely nauseated. I was given a shot every time pain meds were administered. It also comes in pill form. Once the uncontrollable vomiting started I received Phenergan...which contains an antihistamine. Knocked me right out..very powerful stuff. Ironically, my OB used to suggest Vitamin B and Benadryl when my nausea would severely interfere with my life and ability to eat...meaning when it surpassed morning sickness. I would stick to carbs, white rice, mashed potatoes, toast, bagels all with butter or cheese to bring a little fat to weigh it down. Just some suggestions...my stomach is completely off. I am not sure if its related to my week of heavy bleeding or it's just nerves setting in as today marks the two week mark and it is all becoming very real. Had horrible contraction like cramping and a pinching-like sensation all night...got the kids on the school bus and I am going back to bed. Check in later...Good luck with your stomach Wicked!
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:07 AM

I don't know if you have tried this before but peppermint will sometimes help nausea. I also have had problems with severe nausea and had really bad side effects from nausea meds they gave me. Peppermint tea seemed to help. I would try the brat diet first if you are having huge problems with it. That way you don't make your stomach work too hard. I know when I have a problem to go back to the brat diet. Hope you feel better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register