2 weeks til surgery & freaking out just a bit! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks til surgery & freaking out just a bit! 2 weeks til surgery & freaking out just a bit!

Unread 03-12-2012, 01:25 AM
2 weeks til surgery & freaking out just a bit!

Hi everyone. I'm scheduled to have a partial hysterectomy on March 27th. Keeping cervix & one, if not both, ovaries. After years of problems I finally found a doctor last summer who took me seriously & eventually decided that the culprit is most likely Adenomyosis.

Originally my surgery was scheduled for December, but I put it off for a variety of reasons... work, school, money. All of those factors are still huge concerns for me, but I also feel like this may be my last shot at doing it. By the end of this year I will no longer have health insurance & this is going to be hard enough to pay for as it is. I don't even want to imagine the cost without insurance! So, here goes nothing.

For months now I have been fine with my decision & even looking forward to it a little bit. But now I'm getting anxious & even a little panicked. I am a single mom of 2 teenage boys. I don't have a boyfriend, partner, etc. I live alone with my boys in a 2nd floor apartment. I have great friends, but they are all extremely busy & most don't live that close by. My family lives in the same town, but we're not all that close & my mom (who only recently found out about my surgery) has brushed it off like I'm just going to have a root canal! I have tried my best to prepare my boys for what to expect (they are 18 & 15) & they are both very concerned about me, but I'm not sure they will really be able to be there for me in the way I will need them to.

Add to this the fact that I'll only have a total of 3.5 days worth of paid leave accrued at work, so I am super worried about how to keep bills paid. AND I'll have to take a leave of absence from school.... I'm stressing! My boss has been generous enough to say that I can work from home during my recovery, but we've yet to figure out how that will all play out & who knows how long my recovery will really take. I worry that if I'm out for too long they'll figure out how to get by without me & I might not have a job to come back to. I live paycheck to paycheck & I'm not kidding when I say I have no real support from family... so these are legitimate concerns.

But I think, at the end of the day, I am bothered the most by the thought of going through all of this alone. I read posts from others mentioning how their husband or significant other helped them with this or that & I wonder, who will do this for me?

I guess I am looking for practical advice here. I do appreciate encouraging words & warm wishes, but what I really need are ideas on how to make it through this on my own. And, for those of you who've had the SILS hysterectomy, how long before you were up & moving about? I have a desk job, so it's not exactly strenuous. How long til I might be able to get back to it?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Re: 2 weeks til surgery & freaking out just a bit!

((HUGS)) You have A LOT on your plate! But you sound determined and, although I don't have kids to care for, I do have school. I am in the middle of my Master's and this surgery is quite a bump in the road. I am not taking a leave of absence, but I am reducing my second session of the semester to 3 credits and taking summer classes to make up time and stay on track to graduate. It's a tough call. You have to take care of YOU first - I wish your Mom would step up for you...but sometimes it's friends and neighbors that we must ask for help and rely on...I can relate to the bills, too. I am simply broke and even though insurance will cover a good part of it, I will have to take out more student loans to cover the remainder and then hope my time off from work is covered by vacation. It's never a good time to do a this, I figure - but if you don't do it now...you'll just regret it later. I am thinking about you. Keep us posted and keep talking it out here on the board. It's amazing how many different situations and points of view there are on here. Never know who will have the advice that you can use and help yourself cope and get through this. And remember, you are not alone. Feels like it at times (boy, don't I know it!) but we're all sisters in this together Peace.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register