dVH/RALH Sleep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-12-2012, 03:49 AM
Sleep?

I had my hysterectomy on 3/9/12 and I haven't been able to sleep much. Is there a trick I haven't figured out? So far the only way is to sleep sitting up in my recylener but I can only do this for a couple hours at a time. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Re: Sleep?

I had the same problem for the 1st week after surgery. I was practically sitting up in bed and could not sleep a wink. I found that my buttox got very sore and I was extremely uncomfortable.

I then put 2 bulky pillows in the bed, flat on top of each other and I put my head on these and I put another bulky pillow under my knees so that I was lying down with my head raised and with my knees bent and supported. This gave me huge relieve.

It is only now 3 weeks post op that I am going onto my side to sleep with a pillow supporting my tummy. Too sore to do this before now.

Remember when getting out of bed to bend your knees and roll onto your side and support yourself with your arms up and out of bed.

Hope this helps.

Kallinda.
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM

I'm actually sleeping better but then again I'm only a few day out of surgery. I know that ear plugs help with my husband's & dog's snoring.

I'm a side sleeper normally but I raise my head & knees slightly and that helps be be comfortable. If you can walk for about 5 mins. before bedtime that should get you tired enough to fall asleep.
When I do have a hard time I do a meditation thing. I start with my toes and I repeat 3 times for each part as I work up. "My toes are relaxed, my feet, my l calfs, thighs….all the way up to your head. …if you get that far. lol It has helped me in the past.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM

I had my davinci on the 9th as well and sleeping is an issue. I sleep best on a loveseat so my head and legs are lifted, if I try to sleep in bed I have to have a couple pillows under my head and knees so I'm not flat. Laying flat stretches my abdominal area and is highly uncomfortable. I also usually have a heating pad and stuffed animal over my stomach. By nightfall I'm exhausted as I don't rest during the day but still end up awake every few hours at night.
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM

I supplemented 2 pillows with a V shape pillow under my head and shoulders, and another pillow under my knees, so I could sleep more comfortably on my back. This seemed to help a lot. Pressed a rolled up towel against my tummy to help me shift about to get comfy. Also had a hot milky drink at bedtime. Am day 19 and have been able to go back to sleeping on my side for the last few days.
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM

I have a sleep question: Is anyone sleeping with their spouses/significant others?

I'm afraid my husband is going to develop sleep-kicking or something and kick me right in my stitches! >_<

I'm 4 days Post-Op (I accidentally made a post saying I was 4 days post op yesterday...I think I'm just not aware of time anymore), but I'm just so nervous!

I've been sleeping on the couch the entire time.
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM

I had sleeping issues the first few weeks... ended up taking a lot of naps and that did not help my night sleeping.
I think some of us go thru this after surgery.
here are some ideas...
Turn off all electronics 2 hours before bed...
Set up some nice relaxing music and read a book...
use pillows to support yourself...
even if you can not sleep rest with your eyes closed in bed...

I hope some of this helps...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register