Why Provera Now?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why Provera Now?? Why Provera Now??

Unread 01-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Why Provera Now??

Hi Ladies -- I hope your experiences can help me understand just what my gyn is thinking right now. I went for annual visit two weeks ago... I had become very anemic (blood count under 8), and told her that I had been having very heaving bleeding for months. My periods have become very painful anc clotty the past six months.. exceptional pain the past three months. I also told her I was diagnosed via vaginal ultrasound with fibroids several years ago and that I had had a diagnosis of endo from a lap done for a cyst about five years ago. She says PROVERA for three months... I said WHY? That won't fix the fibroids and she said NO, it wont. And sent me on my way. I have a followup in three weeks. Any insight into this protocol would be so appreciated. I am READY to get this mess out. THANK YOU so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Why Provera Now??

Zesty,
When I was 29 (back in 1992), I had very lengthy heavy periods, and the doctor recommended Provera. I had to "create" cycles with Provera. First the Provera stopped the bleeding after a few days, then after taking Provera for a week, 10 days or so, I was to stop the Provera. Then you experience breakthrough bleeding from being off of Provera. I forget what the exact formula was, but then you waited so many days to start taking the Provera again to force another period. After a couple of cycles I called the doctor and asked if I could stop this regimen because it created 3-week cycles. Perhaps this treatment works for some people, but Zesty you have my sympathy. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-06-2002, 10:18 PM
Provera

Hi Zesty,

As a temporary measure to hold me over until I had a Lap/D&C a couple years ago, my doctor gave me Provera to take during my period to help cut down on the flow and clotting. I was instructed to start taking it the evening of the day my period started, then continue taking it for 5 days. I was surprised since that's not how I've heard it prescribed, but it did make a bit of a difference for me. She prescribed a lot, so I stashed some and took them later during especially "productive" periods

If you still have questions regarding your treatment, by all means get your doctor on the phone and ask for some answers. It's your right to know what they're doing and why.

Best of luck to you!

Heidi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 06:56 AM
Why Provera Now??

I first started having the looong periods about three years ago. My pcp found and removed a small polyp from my cervix, found the fibroids and referred me to a gyn. She prescribed Provera for days 14-25 to control the bleeding. 3 days after I stopped taking them my period would start and act like a normal period, that is until October. It started and wouldn't stop for 46 days. Three years ago she said it was an alternative for the time being to a hyst, there is a lot of concern that hysts are done unnecessarily, and it was mainly for the insurance comapany, so she could say she'd tried hormones before she recommended surgery. Three years ago my uterus was the size of a 6 week pregnancy. Now it's 16 week size.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register