Migraines! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Migraines!

Anyone having migraine issues? I've had chronic migraines for years..have tried everything I can think of to get rid of them but can't seem to figure out the puzzle. Gluten free, caffeine free, vegan, exercise, meditation, nutrient dense diet, chemical and fragrance free (obviously, since that is a huge trigger), I just can't crack the code.

I've always suspected estrogen dominance but since the hyst, I've had a ton of migraines. I'm three weeks out and on day eight of a nasty migraine as I speak. Not taking the estrogen my dr. gave me, but now considering experimenting with it. I thought the estrogen was causing the migraines--this is so confusing! Maybe it was and my body hasn't adjusted yet? So disappointed, I thought menopause was going to be my salvation.

Any other migraine sufferers out there? I am so weary from being in pain for so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Re: Migraines!

I'm with you and feel your pain. Before my TVH/BSO on 1/18/12 I always had 3-4 menstrual migraines a month, but I also suffer from a neck injury which resulted in cervical (neck) facet syndrome. It creates what I call "skull crushers" as they are 10 times worse than any migraine I've ever experienced. I thought that after the surgery at least the regular migraines would go away, but they seem to be happening more frequently along with my skull crushers as well. I've also noticed that if there is a change in the weather I am now developing sinus headaches a lot easier too.
I too had a lot of hopes that the regular migraines would magically disappear but have been in almost constant agony. I'm not taking any HRT either, but I was super low in estrogen to begin with so my menopause symptoms have been fairly mild.

I don't really have any words of wisdom as you are already doing everything I would have suggested. Just wanted to share my support and let you know you're not alone. You are less than a month out so hopefully you're hormones will level out and your headaches go away soon!

(((HUGS)))
Kim
Unread 03-12-2012, 03:25 PM

My migraines were worse post op until I got the hormones settled. Then when I switched hormones I had 3 days of migraines until my body adjusted again. Don't mess around with the hormone doses yourself, work with your doctor and give your body time to adjust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Thank you Kim, skull crusher is a great word for it, you think you are going to die the pain is so bad. Had I not been through this so many times, I'd be convinced they were aneurisms. Solidarity.

Molly I am not messing around with hormone doses. My dr. gave me some Estridiol just in case symptoms got too bad, meaning hot flashes and night sweats. We did not factor in migraines. And I'm not sure what is triggering them since they have been ongoing--it may have nothing to do with the menopause. Due to the cancer risk I'm reluctant to take any hrt and my dr. agrees. So it's just a sea of the unknown. Trial and error I guess, I just wish it were't so punishing.

Thanks for the support.
Unread 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie1111 View Post
Thank you Kim, skull crusher is a great word for it, you think you are going to die the pain is so bad. Had I not been through this so many times, I'd be convinced they were aneurisms. Solidarity.

Molly I am not messing around with hormone doses. My dr. gave me some Estridiol just in case symptoms got too bad, meaning hot flashes and night sweats. We did not factor in migraines. And I'm not sure what is triggering them since they have been ongoing--it may have nothing to do with the menopause. Due to the cancer risk I'm reluctant to take any hrt and my dr. agrees. So it's just a sea of the unknown. Trial and error I guess, I just wish it were't so punishing.

Thanks for the support.
Sorry, it looked from your post that you not taking them as directed. Can you discuss taking low dose hrt with your doctor? I thought my migraines would go away when I had my ovaries removed. I actually realized at 3 months post op that they coincided with dipping of my estrogen levels.
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Molly, I have 1mg Estradiol tabs, which my dr. said I can take half to start if I want. Can you tell me which hormones you are taking? I wonder if Estrogen only is best for migraine. And I wonder if there are migraine specific hormones though I'm sure dosage is different for everyone. I'm thinking about getting that Suzanne Sommer's book on bio identical hormones to help me understand how it all works. For me it seems like there are many factors at play causing the migraines. Food, fragrance, stress, etc. I'm not sure the hormones are in this equation at all, but I need to get educated fast. This caught me off guard as I'd planned to keep one ovary.
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:00 PM

I started out taking Vivelle Dot .1 which was fine except for an occasional migraine early on and then about 2.5 months post op I started getting more headaches and depression/anxiety. I went to my primary doctor who said I was low E symptomatic and switched me to Estrace pills 1 mg. I had 3 days of migraines while I adjusted and now they are gone! The depression is better though still present so I may end up going up to a higher dosage.

I never thought at age 50 that I would need HRT so badly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register