Sciatica is so painful... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sciatica is so painful... Sciatica is so painful...

Unread 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Sciatica is so painful...

Any suggestions from you ladies for the back pain and sciatica problems. I have been on narcotics for months and had spinal cortisone shot 2.5 months ago and now its worn off and come back full force. I've only known abut the 7cm fibroid and multiple others for 2 months. I have a tipped uterus and i think the fibroids are sitting on the degenerative and bulging disk at L5-S1 and causing all the back and sciatica pain. I have LSH on march 19 and counting the days. Anybody else have or had these symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Re: Sciatica is so painful...

I am so sorry you are in pain. I have had problems with back and sciatica pain, so I can relate. I once got stuck on the floor and had to have my husband come home from work to get me up. Have you talked to your doctor about other options while you wait? Like chiropractic care, massage, physical therapy, etc? I know I have exhausted all those things at one point or another. My worst pain was in my extreme lower back, around my tailbone area. I had a severely retroverted uterus, the worst case my doctor had seen. I prayed that the pain I had suffered from in that area of my spine would be gone after my hysterectomy, and you know what, it is. I could not be more thrilled. I did not have fibroids, but my uterus was about twice the normal size thanks to adenomyosis. It must have been pushing on nerves back there all along. I woke up in recovery and told my nurse, "my back feels better". She laughed and reminded me I was heavily sedated and shouldn't feel much of anything. Well, here I am 3 weeks later, and the pain in my lower back is still gone. I am not 100% excited since I am not totally done healing yet, but for now things are better. I was not getting a hysterectomy because of back pain, but it was an added bonus to have that gone.
I hope that your surgery helps your back like mine did.

Christine
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Yes this exactly what I had for years I fell running and went to many drs mri cat scan. They only found hair line fracture. I started to notice my pain was intense around my period. After years of this finally had an ultra sound and ened up with a hyst. Doct said the uterous had fallen back into my spine. And swelled hence the pain it stopped after surgery. You can do things but will get only temporary relief. When is your surgery. Hope it goes well lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM

I've dealt with it since my first kid and it got worse over the last 10 years. I have learned to limit my standing time as much as possible. Loading the dishwasher or vacuuming kill me.

My uterus is anteverted but I still get severe back pain along with sciatica pain.
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:24 PM

I'm sorry to say my I came out of my hysterectomy experience with sciatica pain. There were two days where I was grateful to have had prescription pain meds left over from my surgery, the sciatica pain was worse then my surgery pain ever was.

I have found great relief from chiropractic care, exercises and rolling knotted nerves with a foam roller. Also, the Internet can be a good source for stretches and exercises that can offer some relief.

May we all find the relief we seek!
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:21 AM

I think I realize that the doctor is incapable of knowing weather the surgery will take away the back pain and sciatica because after reading so much every woman is different and these fibroids have a life of there own and do what they want. I have done and spent thousands of dollars on conservative treatment. I'm in pain management and it has been a God send. I have 23 years of sobriety and it helps keep me accountable. But the pain is still there and boy can it mess with my serenity! I try to think positive and look forward to surgery date! Thanks for listening!
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:17 PM

Egads! I slipped a disc last year (no sciatica) and that was pure hell! It took months of therapy before I was functional. I couldn't imagine a chronic pain like that I really hope your surgery helps. I really do. That pain is truly life-stopping. Wish I could offer advice, but I can't, so I will wish you only the best and hope you find some relief soon. Peace.
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM

I suggest some chiropractic care. I've had the same issues for four years same amount of time Ive had my feminine issues as well. Im Only two weeks post op so I can't say wether or not the surgery has helped it. but I got in a car accident a week before surgery and immediately went to my chiro for relief it helped. She also was able,to work wonders on my sciatic nerve wish I had found her before all the injections and surgery I had on my hip.
Unread 03-14-2012, 05:54 PM

I completely understand what you are going through. I had incredible pain over the last 2 years that they tried everything to fix including casting my leg since they thought it was a stress fracture in my upper tibia! Finally an MRI (8 months later!) showed a hernation and nerve root compression at L3/L4 which explains the shin/knee pain as well as advanted osteoarthrithics (although I am 'only' 42). The MRI finally also revealed that my uterus was significantly enlarged which would explain the extensive bleeding and pain I have been feeling for years and which has been very traumatic. Physio has been really helpful as has heat and "antiflame gel" (natural product with arnica) to calm the hypertonic muscles. It's funny but the back MIR is finally getting doctors to take my uterus symptoms seriously...as well as myself finally overcoming my fear to actually see a gynocologist....Both physio and my sports doc say that getting a hysterectomy will likely significantly decrease the back and nerve pain. An enlarge uterus due to whatever reason basically compresses everything in the area and can cause significant issues. I am new here and will start posting more when I have more info re my final surgery date....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register