Has anyone done iron iv therapy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone done iron iv therapy? Has anyone done iron iv therapy?

Unread 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Has anyone done iron iv therapy?

I am eagerly anticipating my surgery after delaying the surgery for seven years. I've been heavily bleeding during my periods for years(fibroids) but have currently been bleeding for 36 days. My gyn recommended Lupron to stop the bleeding and control the fibroids until the surgery. I've had lower hemoglobin levels for years but with the latest bout of bleeding we knew it was quite low. She referred to a hematologist to get my levels up prior to surgery.

I saw the hematologist today and he recommended iv iron therapy as the best scenario to raise my hemoglobin, which is now 10. I was wondering if any of my hystersisters has had the therapy as well. I don't think it will be too bad. I'm a little more concerned about the Lupron than the iv therapy but just curious about the experience of others.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Re: Has anyone done iron iv therapy?

Hi startfresh - I wanted to share my experience with you. My surgery was canceled due to low hemoglobin, it was a 5. Surgery was scheduled to take place on 2/21 but my levels kept dropping. I underwent IV Iron infusion therapy on 2/29. I have endometriosis and bleed really heavy. I had been taking iron pills 3x's a day but there was no way I could take enough iron to get it up to normal levels. As far as the infusion, they started with an initial 30 minute iron iv prior to the large one to see if I was going to have an adverse reaction. The large iv dosage took about 5 hours to complete. After the iron iv was done, I got a saline flush which took about 10 minutes. It wasn't painful or anything. It just took a very very long time. I took my laptop and a book so I wouldn't get bored. I was also told that I could bring food. I am not sure if all places do that or not as I had my infusion done at a cancer center.

I was told it would take anywhere from 2-4 weeks before my iron would get up to normal levels as it takes time to absorb into the bone marrow and create new red blood cells. I am starting to tell a big difference. Hopefully you will get to feeling better soon.

Take care!
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM

I had 5 of them a year ago last fall. I had to go to the hospital's day stay (I have other medical problems so my hematologist couldn't do them in office). They made me feel worse for 24 hours after (bad headaches & nausea, I wasn't able to do much of anything for 24 hours after each one) but when I was done with all 5 of them, I saw a big, positive difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM

I also had a bad headache and was nauseated afterward. I also noticed that my muscles/joints were sore. I didn't know if that had anything to do with the iron but it sounds like it did.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

I have had many IV iron infusions. They are not bad they just take up your whole day. Take something to entertain yourself and be prepared for nausea, headache, muscle aches, chills followed by flushing in the first 24 hours. It really is the fastest way to bring up your hemoglobin. You'll start feeling better in 2-4 weeks, way better. Good luck!
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM

I had iv iron back in october,4 treatments, took 45 mins once a week for 4 weeks. No reactions or complications. After week 1 I started feeling much better. My iron level was 7. By the time I finished the 4th treatment, I was feeling like myself again, and back to doing all the activities I had been avoiding cause I was so exhausted. The hemotologist told me I would feel better but it was only a temporary fix .. what i really needed to do was fix my leak... My surgery is scheduled for march 21st.... cant wait... sounds odd but I cant wait to start my new life and no longer be a prisioner in the bathroom.
good luck with your treatments.... they really were worth the time invested.
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks everyone. I had my first treatment today and so far so good. I had some pretty sociable attendees during the treatment so we helped pass the time for each other. I haven't had any side effects. I actually feel a tad bit better but I'm still resting.

Sugar64, I know exactly how you feel. I've been running on half empty for so many years and spending money on pads and tampon, rushing out of meetings to avoid accidents and not having the energy to do everything with my daughter so I can't wait to feel normal. I have arthritis in my back and my problems related to my enlarged retrograde fibroids filled uterus have only made matters worse. It had gotten to the point that I only had four or five days a month when I felt half normal.Now after bleeding ridiculously heavy for 39 days and iron levels of 10, enough is enough. I'll be 40 in June and look forward to a new and healthy me. Once I made the decision,after delaying for seven years, to have the surgery I feel like a weight has been lifted. I'm actually a bit giddy and if you knew me you would know I don't get giddy LOL.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Scary posts here! Just found out I'm anemic but not "critical" yet. My surgery is scheduled for 5/14 so my PCP thinks we can get things stabalize by them without anything radical. Fingers crossed. I'm just ready for all of this to be over.
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:14 AM

Hi Startfresh~ Im brand new here and this is my very first Reply post! So glad that I can offer positive help for your question as I had the iron IV, ten treatments over the course of a month. My hg was 8 and as of this week's labwork it's 14! (Treatment was in November). Each lasted about 50 minutes and I feel like a new girl with so much energy and much better mood. I'm not so deathly pale anymore and my hair is growing! Yes the time and expense spent shlepping back and forth every other day was a pain, but SO worth it. The nurses spoiled me and brought me toasty warm blankets.

Best wishes~~Shalom
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Hi, Joy. Welcome! Glad your treatments were successful. You hit on a good point-hair. My hair had been falling out for months. I started taking biotin and the thinning slowed. Amazing it's growing so I'm hopeful with the treatments it will stop falling out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register