A bit of a sensitive subject | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A bit of a sensitive subject A bit of a sensitive subject

Unread 03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
A bit of a sensitive subject

Hi,

I am kind of embarrassed to ask this question....but since we are all have been or going through it, i will go ahead and ask it....

When that 'time' comes for the bowel movements....and if you have had the abdominal hysterectomy and I am beginning to realize that you basically use your abdominal muscles for a lot, How do you wipe? Do u have someone help or do u carefully do it?

I told u it was a sensitive subject and an embarrassing one....it is not one i would ordinarily think of, but it is out there......

i am guessing one of the cats felt my discomfort asking and is now on my lap....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Re: A bit of a sensitive subject

Ah, thank goodness for our cats, always there to comfort us!

I didn't have an abdominal hysterectomy, mine was vaginal. But I didn't really have any particular troubles wiping. I suggest buying moist flush able wipes. They will help you feel cleaner.
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM

I am having a vaginal also, and my dr told me I will be on Miralax (she started me now, a week before hand) for awhile afterwards so I won't have to strain. I would imagine wiping won't be too difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM

Hey Bookfan, Had a TAH on the 5th, and haven't had a problem with "wiping". The disposable wipes are great, but I can't see flushing money down the toilet..pun intended. But then again, I'm cheap. You should be just fine, I was up and walking the next morning of my TAH,..but then again,..I was stubborn and got myself released on the 6th too. Good luck
Unread 03-14-2012, 05:37 AM

I am scheduled for TAH, but I also had abdominal surgery years ago for a ruptured ectopic. Here's what I remember: BMs were actually not as hard as I thought they would be, wiping was fine, urinating after the cath came out stung a little, and showers were heaven! The warm water felt so good on the incision! I had a bikini cut, and I hope they use the same one to go back in this time. The worst part for me was coughing and then a week after, straining because I got constipated due to painkillers (drink LOTS of water, eat oatmeal and oranges...helps A LOT). Staples didn't even hurt, actually. They tickled getting removed, but that's all. The stomach is tender for a while - I had to get granny-type undies to wear for a few weeks because waistbands in that area just plain hurt...but overall, it was much easier than I thought it would be. Hope this time is, too - for me and for you!
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and had absolutely no problem at all "wiping". It is likely that on day 2 you will be up out of bed sitting on a chair and walking to and from the loo yourself and able to attend to your own toilet needs.

My problem during week one was constipation but I got that sorted with a natural stool softener.

Hopefully one less thing for you to worry about.

Very best wishes,

Kallinda
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:10 AM

I wiped same as always, they only excreted my organs from my vagina, surgical site was only on my abdominal area, but I had the di Vinci robot. I did need stool softner an miralax for 2 weeks after the surgery. Tomorrow I'll be my 5 week post op and I am still taking a stool softner each day.
Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM

I've had 3 c-sections (I think the incision is similar). I never had trouble pooping (I did take Metamucil to prevent problems though) or wiping. What was harder for me was getting on and off the toilet. I had to have my husband help me back up a few times that first week. Our toilets are pretty low.

What I found to be the most taxing on my abdominals after my c-sections was getting up and down...off of chairs, the bed, the toilet, etc. And that got way easier after day 5. I also found it hard to raise my arms up to wash my hair and had to have my husband's help in the shower those first 5 days.
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:51 AM

I had a TAH and had no trouble wiping from day one. I did buy the disposable wipes from the Hyster Sister store to clean myself each day because I wasn't allowed to take a bath or get water down there too much due to not getting anything in the vagina. I had my cervix removed and vaginal cuff created so was prevented from taking a bath, douching or getting water up in the vagina. Showers are just fine. I used the tush wipes to wipe the tush and the feminine wipes for vaginal/ urethral area. Then followed up with a wet paper towel. I'm on my 9th week after surgery and no infections of any kind, so my method seems to have worked well.
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:29 AM

It was hard getting up and down, out of bed, chair etc. for a good week with me. Two days ago I had a hard time getting out of bed and I am into my 4th week. I think I must have over did it the day before with bending, standing, walking etc. felt like I was at my 2 week mark. It is worth not overdoing or we do end up paying.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register