A bit of a sensitive subject - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A bit of a sensitive subject A bit of a sensitive subject

Unread 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Re: A bit of a sensitive subject

Ok, I can relate - I'm 11 days post op and it's just within the past couple days I feel completely comfortable with the bending required to wipe. At first swelly belly was in the way and every time I'd bend or twist it felt like my insides were getting all twisted up as well!! I was just very careful and used the wet wipes as recommended and I was fine, but I do agree - it's a valid point because I had the issue too!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM

I've actually thought about this myself. I remember when my daughter was born 29 years ago that I had some tearing and was so sore I couldn't reach to wipe...and as embarrassing as it was, I had to have my husband help me a couple times. So I guess if I have this issue he's gonna be recruited to do it again. That's when you know he loves you!
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM

The twisting reminds you that you've had a major abdominal surgery, but it isn't painful. When you have your first bm, I found that just letting your body do it's thing was the most effective approach and there was zero discomfort. Our bodies really do know what to do! As long as you are taking a stool softener (I even used Gas X and Dolcolax a couple of times) and getting plenty of fluids, you should have no reason to strain. Getting up and down (to and from any position) I try to focus on the use of other muscle groups. Focus on your big leg muscles when you are squatting and lifting yourself up from the toilet or chair and exhale on the exertion. When I am lying down or getting up from bed, I try to focus on the use of the muscles in my arms and, again, exhale on the exertion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM

I had abdominal 3 weeks ago. No problem with wiping. I expected it to be like after having babies vaginally, where you have to be very careful, but it isn't like that at all with the abdominal surgery.
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM

I had TVH but did have a 6 lb ovarian tumor removed by abdominal surgery previously and I remember dreading and fearing that first bowel movement afterwards but it wasn't bad at all... much easier than I had anticipated. You'll be on a stool softener, maybe Miralax (which I would recommend, very gentle) and that make it easy. Wiping is no problem at all. Same as always

And my sweet kitty has been a comfort throughout my recovery. He sticks very close by. He loves having me home and all this extra lap time I hate to leave him and go back to work.
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM

mlb, I felt that way about my kitty too She never left my side for 8 weeks. Animals are such a comfort, and they know when we are not well.
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM

It's very possible that you won't have a BM for a few days. Things get slowed down by the pain meds, anesthesia. The actual BM was harder than wiping for me. So do take stool softener -ask your doc ahead of time. You don't want to compromise your stitches by straining.

And the getting on and off was the bigger problem. Sometimes need help with that at first.
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM

I didn't "go" for about 6 days post op. The first time was very difficult and a huge accomplishment. I made many visits to the bathroom and took a lot of stool softeners before anything happened. Wiping was not an issue for me at all. I bought the moist wipes to use and that really helped.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register