Realistic About Going Back to Work? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Realistic About Going Back to Work? Realistic About Going Back to Work?

Unread 03-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Realistic About Going Back to Work?

Realistically, I will be surprised if you can get your Dr to sign you off to return to work at a week and half. I went back at 4 weeks (just under 4 weeks, my surgery was on a Weds and I went back on a Monday). Last week was my first week back. I work in an office, and while I get up and down a bit, not too much. No lifting, no heavy doors, etc. And it was a hard week, well the 3 days I works I missed Thursday and Friday (I had a hormone issue, Dr switched my dosage I am better now). I thought like you did sort of. I was hoping beforehand I would be able to go back at 3 weeks, my Dr would not even discuss going back any sooner. I honestly think I should have taken the 6 weeks off. It might have been better for me. Good luck and listen to your body on the healing; it will truly tell you exactly what it you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:35 AM

I had DaVinci on thursday, and am hoping to be back this thursday if Dr says OK. I work in a dr office(desk work and my exam rooms are only a few feet away) and already have help for that day arranged, but I keep reminding myself, even though these cuts on my belly dont look like much, ALOT has happened inside! I want to go back too, but if I do too early, it will just mean more problems later!
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:23 PM

I had my surgery 12 days ago. I went on my first outing yesterday with my hubby. We went to home depot and the grocery store. All I can say is, "Oh My!" When I got home I sat in my recliner and immediately fell asleep. My stamina is very low. I am sore today. I have 6 weeks off. Also, I am now in surgical menopause and I had a bad reaction to my Steri-Strips. So you never know what can happen.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM

It is so nice to see I am not alone in thinking we are super women. I put off my surgery for 4 years. This year, I agreed to having it with the understanding of a 2 week leave and then back to work. ( I am needed, love my job, and no one can do it like me...ok reality). At my preop my doctor said she would aim for 2 weeks but 4 weeks was more of a reality. I accepted that. I was more worried about being able to go home the day of surgery (nurses are the worse patients). At my 2 week appt, (I drove myself and had been the single mom of 2 boys 13 and 8 for a week due to my husbands job) I had to agree with my doctor that I could not go back to work. Pain was not the issue but the exhaustion was draining. I feel that we think in our minds that it is miminally invasive (da vinci) that it is quicker. It is still a hysterectomy and still takes time to heal. Women used to need 3 month to heal. I am 6 weeks out and feel I could go back half days as a resource nurse on our floor but my doctor and my boss both said NO. They want me back at full speed and want me to take another 3 weeks off work. At first, I was wounded but then realized the reality that when I do go back I will be wearing my super nurse cape and right now I am not quite up to snuff. I know I am going to be a much better OBGYN nurse due to this experience. I want all of us on the web site to listen to the moderators and friends that encourage us to rest, relax and be pampered. This surgery is not for the faint of heart. All the pre-oppers out there: plan to take as much time off as possible and then be happily surprised when you get to go back earlier than expected. If you do too much too soon it will take longer to heal and get on with life ( A very hard lesson learned).
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM

I had my hysterectomy 11 days ago and went in thinking I would be back to work week 3. I was not worried about the surgery, or the pain etc. I sit most of the day. I had my tubes tied previously also and that was much easier then this (the nurses and doctors keep reminding you that its major surgery). I can have 2 good days, then 2 bad days etc. I have done everything I was supposed to (never cooked, cleaned, lifted anything, only got up to stretch and use the bathroom) and it was still a tough. The first day out for an hour I started to bleed. Everyone is different! I hope you have a smooth recovery but be prepared for things not going how you expect it to!
Unread 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM

I know I was being unrealistic when I first posted this thread! I have since decided to postpone my May surgery and try some suggested ways to shrink fibroids. If they don't work, I can always have the surgery at a later date. I just want to feel like I've exhausted all options before undergoing surgery. My best to everyone who will be going into surgery soon or is recovering.
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM

I wanted to go back week 3...there was no way, but I have known people that did it and they were just fine! Everyone heals differently!! :-)

Week 5 was my turning point...lots more energy and physically feeling pretty "normal". Headed back half time at the beginning of the week then full time by the end.

Hopefully you'll feel great sooner than I did, but you don't want to rush it...you only have one chance to heal properly!! :-)

Hugs to all of you!!!
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM

I had mine on Nov. 30th and felt the exact same way about healing & pain tolerance. I went on a short walk the day after I was home and ended up ripping my stitches. I bled quite a bit but still tried to go back to work after two weeks. I was exhausted, swollen and in a little pain but still had pain meds so I tried part time and my boss sent me home. My doctor finally released me after a month. It is now almost 4 months later and am just getting back to low impact workouts. I was a distance runner prior to my surgery so you can imagine my surprise. All I can say is this, everyone is different but I thought that because this is the second most common surgery women have that it meant it was easy to recover from. It's not at all. Really think about what is being taken from your insides. It is so much to heal and you will be exhausted. I also had not realized that I was starting menopause now because of the surgery. I thought I was free and clear but here I am with night sweats and a memory made from Swiss cheese! Also, don't drive for two weeks after surgery. Your timing is going to be off from the anethsitia - that is what I felt and my doctor warned me about. I hope this helps. I really wish I would have taken it more seriously and been easier on myself. I hope you take care of yourself - good luck!
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM

My doctor had said I could walk my dog if I tied his leash around my waist - but I could not hold the leash in my hand. My two year old lab/shepherd mix is pretty rambunctious and not-well trained to the leash so we have been playing a lot of fetch instead. I think it depends on your dog. My doctor did say I could walk all I wanted without the dog.

I would not have been able to concentrate enough to teach a class until the last couple of days. My brain was way too foggy for the first 10 days. I'm 17 days past my surgery and I've decided I'm taking the whole four weeks off. I feel really good - until I try to do too much.
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:06 PM

I had a DaVinci total hyst on March 12 (Monday of our spring break). I taught a few classes on Wednesday March 21, 22 and 23. I don't work fulltime, and my high school kids are taking a college class (and they knew to baby me). My school is 5 min from home, and I was gone under 5 hours each day.

But I did have a substitute teacher on call for that whole week if I needed her. I didn't take my heavy school bag - just one binder, one clipboard, and a cleaned out purse with keys, id, money, ibuprofen, and not much else (we women can certainly accumulate a lot of junk in our purses).

I have been walking in the neighborhood, but not walking my dogs (125 pound Great Dane and a 85 pound lab who likes to pull of he sees another dog). In fact, I may not walk the dogs for 6 months, although I did walk with my husband this morning while he had both leashes.

And I think that I have had a remarkably easy recovery (after the 1st couple of days). I am very thankful for it. But I don't think we can predict how things are going to, so it's best to plan for assistance and then not use if it is not needed.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register