I'm worried now | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm worried now I'm worried now

Unread 01-07-2002, 08:57 AM
I'm worried now

I posted last week about a report that I got after an ultrasound showing that I had a complex/density structure on my right ovary.

I contacted my local cancer hospital asking them if they could tell me more of what this means. They told me to fax them a copy of the ultrasound report and they would have a doctor review it, and if the doctor felt that I met the criteria they would call me and schedule an appointment. Well...they just called...I was on the phone, so the call went to my voice mail, now I am playing phone tag with them, trying to get this appointment scheduled.

All the while, my heart is beating through my chest. I didn't really expect them to call me back.

Thanks for listening

janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 11:04 AM
I'm worried now

Hi Janet
I think you are doing exactly the correct thing. Being proactive on your own
behalf. Try and relax until you have that appointment. And don't read too
much into it, until you have more facts. Let us know how you make out.
Thought and prayers heading your way.
oxoxokarenann ovcaIII

Unread 01-07-2002, 11:46 AM
I'm worried now

I had a mystery mass too. And what I was told was that there are a lot of masses they simply can't identify from ultrasound and CA125 isn't a diagnostic tool (especially with some slow-growing rare cancers). The fact they want to schedule an appointment may easily reflect the mystery mass problem. Oncologists at least in my experience tend to be "better safe than sorry" guys.

Most mystery masses are still benign, but they have a hard time telling that without going in and checking. There are cancers that form in the ovaries that aren't ovarian cancer. They change slowly and surgery is enough to take care of them (like mine). There are still many possibilities and most of them are not that bad.

I know it's easy for me to say, but take a deep breath. You might also make sure the appointment is a time when someone can come with you. It gets very hard to hear the doctor when your mind is in a whirl. I know! I used to take a pad of paper with my questions and write down everything he said because my mind took a walk when I was in there!

I'm really glad that you're taking care of yourself!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 12:17 PM
I'm worried now

I had the same ultrasound results as you except I had masses on both ovaries. My primary doctor wanted me to wait and pick up the report after the ultrasound - can you imagine my surprise when the cause of the mass was listed as ovarian cancer. I called a big teaching hospital and spoke to the secretary for the head of oncology/gyn. Because I was so upset on the phone she made an appoinment for me for six days away. She also told me to fax my report and my ultrasound and the doctor would get me in sooner if he thought he needed to. I received a call less than an hour later asking me if I could get to the hospital (about 50 minutes away) in an hour. I was shaking when I hung up the phone because I figured if he wanted to see me that soon that it was probably horrible news. I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. When I got to the doctors, he was actually fairly reassuring. He told me that while it could be cancerous, it COULD also be other types of growths. The fact that my ca125 blood test was one of the highest he had seen didn't seem to bother him either. He performed the surgery and luckily the growths were not cancerous. I did end up having a tah/bso because I had multiple growths. The hospital cannot tell much until they actually do some type of surgery and pathology report so don't panic yet!! Good luck to you.
Unread 01-07-2002, 01:18 PM
I'm worried now

Hi Janet,

Just sending you more Hugs, and letting you know you are in my prayers!! Keep us posted when you hear back from them!! We're here for ya and we all know what the waiting is like, so come post anytime!!
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 01-07-2002, 04:38 PM
I'm worried now

thanks so much for all of your support. I know that you all know exactly what I am feeling right now.

I got the call back from the hospital and I have an appointment for 9am on Jan 15.

I'll be sure to let you know what I find.

Thanks all

janet
Unread 01-07-2002, 05:21 PM
I'm worried now

Thats good Janet!! The week will go quickly for you !
Thanks so much for letting us know, I will add you appt. to our calendar here on this forum so we can post well wishes for ya!!
Big hugs!!
Maria
Unread 01-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi Janet

Hi Janet
The ovarian cancer support group I belong to, Nat'l Ovarian Cancer Coalition, just had a meeting yesterday. The head our hospital sonography unit was our guest speaker. She had a lot of info to give us, though all of us no longer have our ovaries. The mission of NOCC is to educate and make people aware of OVCA. That being said.

The guest speaker said that everyone with ovarian masses should request a color doplar sonogram along with a regular black & white sonogram. The color doplar shows the blood flow through a mass and thus it can help differentiate different types of growths.

She also said that the best diagnostic sonogram is performed while you are on your period. Maybe that is why you have to wait? Sometimes people don't tell you why they are scheduling at certain times. Your ovary is at rest at this time and the sonographer can get a better idea of what is going on.

We rec'd so much good info at our meeting. I hope that you don't worry too much and try to take it easy before your appt.

Take Care - RobinS
Unread 01-07-2002, 08:03 PM
I'm worried now

Hi Janet,
I just want to add well wishes and hugs for your appointment next week. The waiting is always the hardest part. I just try to keep my self as busy as possible. Feel free to write and read posts to keep yourself busy.
Good Luck, and you are in my prayers!
Valentina
Unread 01-07-2002, 08:29 PM
I'm worried now

{{Janet}}

I also wanted to send you some 's and prayers for your appointment next week. I'm glad they can get you in so quickly.

Please do let us know how it goes.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register