Would you go for rest, or slowly building up your strength? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would you go for rest, or slowly building up your strength? Would you go for rest, or slowly building up your strength?

Unread 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Would you go for rest, or slowly building up your strength?

I'm 2 weeks post op, and feeling pretty well, all things considered. I get worn out in a hurry, but I can drive, and I went to lunch with a friend yesterday, bought shoes at Target and walked all the way around my block once.

I am 30, and I have 3 little kids (9, 7 and 3) who are at grandma's right now. They come home on the 24th, and although they will be either in school or farmed out to friend much of the time, since I can't lift much- I want to be strong enough to manage when they are home, and I need enough endorphins running through my system to cope with three children- laying around plus hormonal stuff is just a bad combo for me, so I am hoping to build up my strength.

If I am feeling good- do you think it is too much to try to add a lap or half-lap around the block each day between now and then coming home, provided i feel well doing it? Or should I be on my butt in this chair?

I am not a sit down kind of person, so this is tough lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Re: Would you go for rest, or slowly building up your strength?

Email your doctor and just ask. Mine said that walking was fine, in fact she encouraged me to get up each morning and move around, not to stay in bed after a few days after surgery. But you must listen to your body, and if you are tired lie down. I had a minimally invasive surgery also..but walking is fine, anything else she said no to. Stay away from the gym until you are cleared by your doctor. I am working up to it gradually, but can walk a mile easily now, after 2 weeks...but not as fast yet. Take it easy and take care!
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

That might be a pretty fast ramp-up to add distance every single day, I'm thinking maybe every couple days, if you don't tire out, or the shorter distance two or three times a day instead of all at once. That seems like it would give you a chance to build up but not too much in one "chunk", and you could stay in if another walk would be too much. I think all sitting all the time and no walking is not necessary if you feel OK. But go slow adding on and rest when you need to. I'm glad you are feeling good so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks guys!
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capellirosso View Post
Email your doctor and just ask. Mine said that walking was fine, in fact she encouraged me to get up each morning and move around, not to stay in bed after a few days after surgery. But you must listen to your body, and if you are tired lie down. I had a minimally invasive surgery also..but walking is fine, anything else she said no to. Stay away from the gym until you are cleared by your doctor. I am working up to it gradually, but can walk a mile easily now, after 2 weeks...but not as fast yet. Take it easy and take care!
To everydaylou,

Remember to take it easy, and keep in mind that my progress may not be the same for you. I do not have stitches in my vagina, which could be a big difference, and why I am able to do this. My uterus was remove from lap incisions...hence my recovery may be faster than yours...so keep your own body as a measure on what you can do. Maybe go around the block in the morning, then if you feel like it after lunch, go around the block again? Be smart, you don't want to spoil your good progress! Take good care!
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM

You need to try and get a balance of both. Spend most of the time resting, but also gradually build up your walking. I found several short walks each day was good. I also had a longer walk that I did once a day which I gradually increased in distance and pace. In normal training, there is a 10% increase rule - ie don't make the increases too great. As someone else mentioned, maybe don't increase every day. Really listen to your body too. It is better to err on the side of caution.
Unread 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM

great advice! Thanks :-) I've been doing short walks today- pacing the backyard, then coming in and resting lol!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register