I cross over tomorrow - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I cross over tomorrow I cross over tomorrow

Unread 01-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Go get 'em girls!!!!!!!!

A great big to all those crossing over tomorrow!!! We will be here waiting for updated reports on you all!!! Try to relax and enjoy the pampering!!!!

Praying for you all!!!

Shay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Went to the Castle 1/08/02 and now back!!!

Hello Ladies!!!! ;=>

Thanks for ALL the terrific information and support.

I went to the castle 1/08/02 at 6:00 a.m. accompanied by my daughter and my parents. After I got undressed and into my LOVELY gown :-) I look up to see the glowing beautiful fact of a member of my church who came to pray with me before surgery. She was absolutely glowing and assured me that all would be MORE THAN WELL!!!! My Dr. AND my primary Physician BOTH called me the day before surgery to see how I was going (but I suspect to also make sure that I wouldn't be backing out or postponing yet another time!!!) My Dr. assured me that I was in the BEST HANDS (hers) and that even more importantly that God was going to oversee the surgery and guide her hands!!!! Talk about a wave a relief that flooded me at that point and after that I was CALM!!!! The worrier or worriers was calm and I rested and got up at 4:00 a.m. to get for my trip to the hospital.

After the prayer, the nurse came in and put in the IV and then they wheeled me down to surgery and goodbyes and kisses and off to a holding area where the anesthieologist (sp?) came and talked with me and I reminded him that he told me to remind him to give me antinausea medication (what a lifesaver that was!!!) He told me I'd be fine and then I hear my Drs. voice, "where is my patient she should be here and Oh there you are I was looking for you. You will be fine and I'll speak with you afterwards, but you probably won't remember seeing me or a word I said (BUT I DID!!!! '-0) Talk about pronto this chic was more than on time we were fifteen minutes ahead of schedule and a her associate introduced himself and told me he would be assiting her and they would take good care of me. Off I'm whisked into surgery, where the anestiologist and nurse prepare me to go nighty, night and last minute words from my Dr. saying I will be fine and feel SOOO much before after I recuperate. While she is playing Aretha Franklin in the background "Do Right Woman" and off to sleepy land I go.

When I awake I see a nurse and then my Dr. saying everything went very well and I was doing great and to remember to pump that pump and take the pain medication.

From recovery I was off to a holding area, hit a few bumps on the elevator (ouch, -more uncomfortable than anything) and to a holding room, because my room wasn't ready the hospital was full and no rooms!!!! Finally at 7:30 P.M. I'm whisked off to the maternity ward for a room with another fellow hyster sister, but it was great. The rooms were nicer and larger and the nurses were great!!! EXCEPT the one when I first got on the floor, she wouldn't help me transfer from the transport bed to the hospital bed. She and a couple others told me I had to move over to the hospital bed and they didn't assist me. I tried to move my bottom and it was like trying to move lead, it was not working. Boy was that a feat, but I finally sort of inched and swived until I got over to the other bed. This nurse was a young Nurse Hatchett, no personality, no help, was just there! But then her shift ended a few hours later and then there were great nurses from then on out!!!! They were very attentive and helpful and one even complained about how they put in my I.V. in a terrible place on my thumb which we later found out the needle was twisted and bent and she took it to report it. After that they pumped my pump and I was off to sleepy land.

Day two Dr. came in and told me surgery went well and showed me a picture of my uterus and the HUGE fibroid. I was glad she got that thing out of me!!!!! Especially after I saw the picture! I asked about my incision because my stomach didn't feel as bad as I thought and she told me it was about five - six inches. I was wondering why I didn't feel stiches down my belly. She had told me I was having a vertical cut from my navel down, but in fact she did a vertical. I think that made a world of difference also regarding the pain factor. She told me I would feel soooo much better in a few weeks!!! Day two was rest and I didn't have any appetite even for the liquid meals. What a great diet!!!!

Day Three time to get off the pump, off the I.V. take steps and go to the backroom. Everyone is marveling that I'm up and walking with such ease. I thought I would be in excruciating pain, but I wasn't just uncomfortable. I was dreading the bathroom part because I was told that it was bad, but it wasn't as bad as I had envisioned it would be. Then they give me a suppository to go to the bathroom. (OH OH, this is going to be the bad part!!!) Again, worry wart envisioned the worse and it was not as bad as I thought, in fact is was a big RELIEF!!!!! As I was turning out to be the belch queen, forever saying excuse me and being embarassed.

Day Four, time to prepare to go home since all function are a Go!!!! I went to my parent's home for a week and came home last night. Home sweet home!!!! My OWN bed, T.V. and no stairs, once I made it up the three flights, backwards. I made it up the stairs, but then had a coughing spell (yikes).

Today I walked around a little and made myself behave because I don't want the pillow police to come and visit me. I'm resting and taking it easy.

I just wanted to give my report and tell everyone thank for the support, prayers, words of encouragement, etc. I TRULY appreciate it and will be posting frequently since I'm at home and the computer is next to my bed with a nice chair to sit in. So with SOOO much time on my hands and I can post and read more frequently.

1/8/02 - TAH/BSO - Fibroids, Menorrhagia, Anemia
Menest .0625
Unread 01-19-2002, 04:33 PM
Thank you

Hi Noni

Thank you so, so much for your post. I am, of course, dreading recovery but hearing that at least someone has a nice smooth recovery and that things weren't as bad as anticipated gives me hope!

Remember to continue to follow doctors orders and rest as much as possible. I keep telling DH that the longer I rest in the beginning the quicker I'll be back. Really I'm just trying to work out as much down time as possible!!

What did you do about HRT? Did you start right away? How is it going? That's the part I think I am dreading the worst, trying to get it right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 05:00 PM
I cross over tomorrow

Hi Linda,

Boy we have A LOT in common! ;-) I love your name! ;-)
Believe me I am a WORRY WART, but it came out MUCH BETTER than the worse I expected! So expect the best and it will turn out even better!

My doctor put me on Menest .0625 and I started it the day I was released from the hospital. So far, no problems I haven't had the night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, etc. so . . . My doctor said that Menest is soy based and is very good. A few people have told me that soy is good for menopausal symptoms and also for your body. I'm going to see what information I can read about Menest and see if any post-op ladies are on it and what results they have with it. I'll let you know what I find out. Keep me posted regarding your surgery and how you are doing pre and postop. You have my prayers and anything I can tell you that will help.

Oh I found out that lots of water and cough lozenges will help keep coughing attacks at bay, coughs and sneezes are NOT pleasant in the least!!!! So when I feel my throat tickling like I have to cough I immediately reach for the water bottle and if it persists I suck on a cough lozenges (the eucalyptus/menthol work best for me).

Also my daughter let me borrow her Barbie Purse Pillow with the inside pocket and it was very convenient and the right size for coughs and also with the pocket I could keep tissue, cough lozenges, etc., cell phone and other misc. small items within a seconds reach.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register