complex cyst? how worrisome? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

complex cyst?  how worrisome? complex cyst? how worrisome?

Unread 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
complex cyst? how worrisome?

Hi all, This is my first post. I"m scheduled to have total hyster this coming Thurs (3/22) with Da Vinci. I'm 57 and having never stopped having periods (now long and heavy) have fibroids, and sister who had granulosa germ ovarian cancer 20 years ago (shes doing well still). All seemed okay and not too scary until I got call from nurse saying that my transvaginal ultrasound showed golf ball size complex cyst on one overy. This is freaking me out. Wont see dr. until Tues for preop for Thurs"s surgery. The nurse said complex cyst with fluid and "dividing line." I wasn't that worried before but now I am. Anyone else have this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Re: complex cyst? how worrisome?

I have had a couple complex ovarian cysts and one got to be 6x7x5cm. I was 30 at the time. Due to the location and movement twisting my tube (now THAT is some pain!), mine was removed by lapro. They had to drain all the fluid and pull the cyst out in pieces due to having solid matter inside the cyst. They were a bit concerned with mine at the time but everything checked out fine. They found endometrial cells inside my cyst and cleaned up what they could in the cul de sac as well.

Good luck to you--I will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Hi Therese!

I had a large complex ovarian cyst (12 x 9 x 11 cm). This is the size of a very, very large great fruit. This caused me to have a total abdominal hysterectomy and BSO (I also had fibroids). I had two blood screenings: a CA125 which came back normal and an OVA1 which came back elevated. My surgeon was a gyn onc. The pathology was done while I was in the OR and all was benign.

I know it is very scary to have something like that growing inside you. But don't get ahead of your diagnosis and take this one step at a time.

Good luck to you..

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Omg marestail! That isn't a grapefruit-- its a watermelon!
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Tell me about it! And that grew to be that size in less than a year. For my annual in April 2010 I was clear, and in April 2011 there it was.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Therese,

I don't want to worry you, but is the doctor doing your surgery a gynecologic oncologist? If not, is it possible to consult with one asap? Most gyn's know a gyn-onc they can call in to assist if necessary. That is what my gyn had planned for my surgery.
With your sister's history, does she see a gyn-onc or regular gyn now? Maybe she can refer you to her doctor.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:03 AM

On January 18 i had a complex cyst removed along with my left ovary and tube.. unfortunatlly my pathology came back as a borderline tumor.. the tumor was also leaking so they did a belly wash wich came back positive for cancer cells... i was then refered to a gyno oncoligist that recomended agressive treatment and two weeks later im back in surgery getting a full hysto and staging..
My situation i was told is rare, most cimplex cysts are completly benine...i hope you are one of the lucky ones good luck with your surgery and recovery
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM

HI Cherimacc2--thanks for your response--please know I'm sending you positive thoughts and will watch for updates--Lynn, my gyn is not an onc/gyn--i see him tomorrow for preop (surgery thurs) and wil ask him about whether an onc is on standby or how that works. i have a good friend who had her hysterectomy with this gyn 2 years ago and was very happy with him--and it turned out this friend had endrometrial cancer--I'm not sure if the onc was there during her surgery or what. i'll have to call her and ask. this is all happening so fast for me; just saw the gyn last week b/c of heavy bleeding and everything started moving very quickly. (haven't talked to gyn since complex cyst found on ultrasound--just the office nurse who called me to tell me it didn't seem "particularly worrisome") I'm 57 though, so from my googling-around, i think my risk is higher than if i were younger?
again, good wishes to all and thanks so much for all your replies!
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Therese -

Yes, your risk is a bit higher because of your age. From what I remember reading, the risk of a complex cyst being malignant is higher after 40 (I am 46). I agree that it is a good idea to have a gyn onc in your surgery, or actually doing your surgery if possible.

I know things are moving very fast and it is very scary. I was where you are now just over 10 months ago. Again, don't get ahead of your diagnosis. Deep breaths, and take this one step at a time.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM

thanks to everyone for feedback. i had my hyster a week ago and gyn said that complex cyst actually looked like two simple cysts stuck together. Haven't gotten back biopsy results but gyn not concerned.

i think the lesson for me was not to take the tiny bit of info relayed to me by office nurse ("ultrasound showed complex cyst") and to spend days googling complex cyst/worrying. Turns out, when I went to the preop appt and asked dr. about what the radiologist noted about Ultrasound, the dr. read further, past the "complex cyst" to where radiologist had written something like "doesn't appear to have any malignant features."

Again, makes me wonder about the wisdom of dr. offices having either nurses or office workers calling patients with tidbits of scan reports pre-surgery--esp. in the age of google?? i think for someone like me, already a huge worrier, not helpful.

but i'm a week past hyster and starting to feel like myself again. best luck to all, esp. to my fellow-worriers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register