Scheduled dVH/RALH preop today, bowel prep? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

preop today, bowel prep? preop today, bowel prep?

Unread 03-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Re: preop today, bowel prep?

The bowel prep can last anywhere up to 3 days afterwards. I also have celiac disease (gluten intolerance) and quite often I get colonoscopy which means bowel cleanse. This last time in Dec it lasted for 4 days after, I couldn't believe it - I called my doctor to make sure that was normal. So, you shouldn't have a problem with constipation after the surgery and to be honest neither will I. I think that we are all stressed and I am hoping that we are stressed for nothing once we get to the hospital they will take care of us (at least that is what I keep thinking). Tomorrow morning at 8am (BC time I go to the hospital) at 10am surgery starts - YEAH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 07:41 AM

hi Sharmcd, I had to do the bowel prep too - I'm 11 days post-op today and I agree, it must continue working for awhile after surgery. I didn't have any problems with gas/constipation/etc that some of the other ladies experienced. I know everyone's body works in it's own mysterious way but I really think doing the bowel prep - as yucky and unpleasant as it might have been - was really a blessing in disguise!
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Hi Tuesday20, the bowel prep is never fun but it does help in certain areas and that is one of them. I am not expecting to be to plugged up (LOL) as I have chronic diarreahea but you never know. My surgery is this AM and I took 2 stool softeners before bed yesterday. And, I had the best sleep last night in 5 days - YEAH. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Best of luck sister! Let us know how you're doing!
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM

I was supposed to start my bowel prep an hour ago! I am so dreading it! It's bad enough i cant eat but to have to drnk the icky stuff and poop all day long is THRe worst!!!
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM

buttercream, i know how you feel, my surgery is the 20th, i have to have all liquid diet the 9th and and the bowel prep that afternoon. I think I am actually more nervous and scared about the bowel prep than the surgery itself. i take a pill at 4pm and then starting at 6pm i start drinking this powder drink in a jug. it came with a flavor pack but i have a feeling thats not going to be enough. i have a weak stomach to begin with, im scared that once i start drinking it i may throw up and then not have enough to fully cleanse. ugh, i had laporoscopies in the past and never had to do this. this is a total abdominal. i will just be glad to have everything done with and be able to start living my life enjoyable for once, no more pain or sickness or PERIODS!
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Hi. I am having surgery on April 10. They said I would need to be on a liquid diet the day before and to drink one 8oz of the icky stuff and stay by the bathroom. I already have the runs all the time with my nervous. So how bad is this going to really be. I mean I am going to sit in the bathroom all day? She said to drink it around noon. I am a little scared of this part.

Oh and thanks for the tip on having wet wipes handy. I am adding them to my list.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register