Pillow Pets -what size? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pillow Pets -what size? Pillow Pets -what size?

Unread 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Pillow Pets -what size?

I keep seeing comments in the hints section and other posts about pillow pets and other pillows for abdominal support and protection. I think this is a fantastic idea (anything to make us laugh or smile or feel pampered!) and went to look for one. The pillow pets I saw are all so big...is that what everyone is using, or something smaller? The ones I am seeing are all 20+ inches...that seems like it would be more awkward than protecting...?

SO--what size pillow are you using to protect your tummy?

PS - thank you to everyone on here for all of the support, tips, hints and stories. This went from feeling like the end of the world to something a little more 'normal' and is much less terrifying. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Re: Pillow Pets -what size?

I am still pre-op, but I found what they call a mini-size ( about 11 inches) at my kroger for 9.99 the other day! I think that will be just the right size for me. It will help under the seat belt for the way home, too. It is a tye-dye easter bunny, so cute!

I have seen other say that the big ones are nice to have as a pillow/body pillow too. I think one of each may be nice!
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:13 PM

I have just been using a small soft throw-pillow. It is about 12" by 12" and has the thickness of about 3'4 inches. That seems to work well. And yes, it will be helpful to have a pillow pet or some other pillow to use for support when you are laying around on the couch or in bed.

I also use it on my lap when I am perusing the Web. I put a cutting board under my laptop and then put that on top of the pillow. It works great.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Hi! (I am almost 8 weeks post-op now.) I got a Pillow Pet Pee Wee before my surgery. It's about 12". I bought it at a Walgreens. It has been very useful - and cheerful. (It's the pink piggy.)
I brought my pillow pet to the hospital; it was just nice to have something soft to hold there. Since the hospital, I have used it everytime I was riding in the car. It helped cushion the impact of the bumps and curves in the road!
Lots of pillows were definitely my best friend during recovery--anywhere lying down or sitting.
Good luck to you all.
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:33 PM

I got the 18" unicorn from amazon. I opted for the bigger one I had gallbladder surgery a couple of years ago ( not the laproscopic so I had a huge incision) I hugged a regular pillow constantly. I thought this would work for me and she's cute too.
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:49 PM

I am 4 days post op now and the pillow pet my 4 year old daughter gave to me was one of the best things I could have asked for (pink ladybug, full size) it was wonderful for the incision and when I had to cough. Also I folded it in half and put it under my knees!! I wouldn't have been with out it!! On the way home it blocked the seat belt from my swelly belly!!

The other thing that was fantastic... My mother in law and my 6 year old son brought me a Happy Napper to the castle I wasn't sure I would use it but I love it as well!! When it is zipped into the pet (mine was a unicorn) it is pretty firm and I am able to put it on my stomach and get the support I need to sleep on my side I LOVE IT!!! I hope this helped. Have a speedy recovery, and take care of yourself!!!
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:31 PM

My husband brought me a pee wee pillow pet, about 12 inches, to the hospital. It was this cute little pink/purple butterfly. I think he found it at Target for $10. It was nice to have on my belly for support and just for something to add some cheer. The 3 nights I spent in the hospital were made a little easier by the cute little thing. It has been nice for holding against my belly and incision when I am coughing, sneezing, or getting up out of bed. I leave it over my belly when I am in my recliner or in bed so my super-snuggly cat doesn't jump on my belly.
I also have a body pillow that has been great for leg support when I am sleeping or resting. I am a total side sleeper, and it has been my saving grace. It also works as a "wedge" under my knees while I am sitting upright on the couch or in bed. Laying flat was a huge no no for me.
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM

I picked up a koala pee wee pillow pet and it has been the perfect size for holding over my belly when moving around, propping my IV arm with at that hospital, and under the seat belt on the the way home from the hospital. The full sized ones seems to big for me.
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:59 PM

I picked up a pee wee at my local drug store. He is a red dragon and he makes me smile. My hope is that on Tuesday he will bring me comfort after my surgery and smiles to the medical staff.
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM

I got a zombie pillow pet and had to hide it from my kids until the surgery. I can't wait to see the weird looks from nurses.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register