Anyone have any ideas how to manage pain without NSAIDS? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have any ideas how to manage pain without NSAIDS? Anyone have any ideas how to manage pain without NSAIDS?

Unread 03-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone have any ideas how to manage pain without NSAIDS?

My surgery is scheduled for 7: 00 am....which means I have to arrive at the by 5:30 AM...Like I am going to sleep!!! Might have to ask for tequila in pill form. Pre-op this Friday, see the Dr on the 26th. Spending the day getting out the Easter decorations to distract from my 8 days of bleeding and heavy cramping. Was told to go to the ER for pain management as I was supposed to stop 600 mgs of Ibruprofen 3x daily. Anyone have any ideas how to manage pain without NSAIDS? I don't want to spend my anniversary in the ER getting the side-eye for looking for pain relief on a Sat...on St. Patrick's Day no less! Think I will tough it out til Monday when my Doc is back from FL. Do not want to do anything to interfere with my castle date...which took FOREVER to coordinate. Off to busy myself and then tea and the heating pad. My poor husband...Happy Anniversary to him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Re: Anyone have any ideas how to manage pain without NSAIDS?

Talk to your doctor about that. They may have some suggestions.

Good luck....

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM

I got my primary to prescribe Tylenol 3. It's safe to take before your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 06:35 PM

There are a lot of different pain meds you can take unless you are allergic to narcotics. It might help to get you through til the surgery. I am allergic to most pain meds so they gave me muscle relaxers which did help. I would call my docs office and ask whoever is covering for something to help you.
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM

Little Star, How far before surgery did they tell you to stop NSAIDS? My date is right behind you , and I am having horrific Fibroid pain... I hate taking my Hydrocodone, but may have to? I have been on Ibupro 800 1-2xdaily to help, but no one said when I should stop it.

Thanks!!!
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicathelton View Post
Little Star, How far before surgery did they tell you to stop NSAIDS? My date is right behind you , and I am having horrific Fibroid pain... I hate taking my Hydrocodone, but may have to? I have been on Ibupro 800 1-2xdaily to help, but no one said when I should stop it.

Thanks!!!
My doctor and the information sent to me from the hospital both say no ibuprofen, aspirin, flaxseed, or fish oil 14 days before surgery. They all can contribute to bleeding.
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM

oh, gosh! Two weeks like this? whooo, boy! I may have to bug them for more Hydro( which I cannot function on anyway!) or Tylenol, but I hate looking like I'm a drug seeker! I have adeno and even on B/c, have been having constant bleeding for 5 weeks now....

Thanks so much abagayle, I don't want to call every day with questions, but my pre-op is only 5 days before surgery!
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM

Yes, sadly it's true...no NSAIDS. I take Hydro at night so I can sleep. But even that isn't working anymore. I am afraid of what comes next... I have no allergies to any sort of analgesic and Tylenol is a joke. I have been managing my pain since my date was bumped..back in Jan..with Ultram and up to 4 -600mg of Motrin during the day. Since the final kick...8 days or horrid bleeding and cramping...nothing seems to help. I am cold and tired and in severe pain...wish I could crawl into a dark hole somewhere. It's almost over...right? I can do this.
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:33 PM

I'm not sure when my surgery is time-wise, but I have to be there at 6 am which means we have to leave here at about 3 am, so no sleeping here. I have also been wondering about the pain control. I have fibromyalgia, shoulder bursitis and arthritis as well as the adeno and other female issues. I can't make it through the day, or even sleep without my IB and i don't want to look like a pill seeker. I do have a bottle of tramadol, but it produces a lot of serotonin so don't like to take it
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Ultram is Tramadol...time released and I have never experienced problems with it...maybe it's a matter of dosage or perhaps body chemistry? It worked great back in January...not so much now as we hit mid-March. It's the only pain med that doesn't make me feel zonked out. Everyone thinks it's strange that I am addicted to Motrin! Glad I am not alone there. I used to eat Advil like M & M's...for my chronic back and neck pain...herniated and bulging discs accompanied by stenosis and nerve damage..arthritis is killer too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register