Anyone on a synthetic estrogen patch? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone on a synthetic estrogen patch? Anyone on a synthetic estrogen patch?

Unread 03-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Unhappy - Anyone on a synthetic estrogen patch? Anyone on a synthetic estrogen patch?

okay, so i don't have health insurance and pay out of pocket so my doctor said bioidenticals would be WAY TOO expensive.

she suggested an estrogen patch. She said it is synthetic. I pick up the script next week. I don't know what brand it is or anything.

I was worried about it being "synthetic". She usually starts patients on .1, but because of my anxiety around it she prescribed a .05

Are any hystersisters using an estrogen patch with synthetic estrogen?

What are your thoughts and feelings on it?

thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Re: Anyone on a synthetic estrogen patch?

I thought most patches were bio identical? You can also get bio identical generic estradiol in oral form, which is available at most pharmacies for about $4 per month.

Unread 03-18-2012, 10:34 AM

I wonder if your Dr is thinking of just bioidentical creams and thinking patches are synthetic because they are more commercial? I'd be interested in which patch she actually prescribes, to see if it truly is a synthtic. It would be good to know what that might be. Let us know which patch it is, I'll be waiting to hear back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Thank you both for the information! I will find out on Wednesday what she actually prescribed.

I guess I was hoping to get an appointment to actually see my doctor and talk to her about my options especially since there seem to be so many options in the world of hormone treatment!

But as it stands, I am a patient at a clinic overwhelmed with low income uninsured folks like myself and the patient to doctor ratio is cuckoo! The soonest I can get in to see my doctor is at the end of May so instead I had a 10- 15 minute phone consultation with her and she prescribed a patch. She said it wasn't bioidentical. She said it wasn't premarin, but it is a synthetic.

So we shall see!

Kim, thanks for the information about the generic oral bioidentical.

Is bioidentical estrogen preferable to synthetic?

thanks again!
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Is bioidentical estrogen preferable to synthetic?
There is no right or wrong answer to that question. Everyone is different. Many women do just fine on synthetic, such as Premarin. Others not so much. It is about preference and what works best for you.
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
okay, so i don't have health insurance and pay out of pocket so my doctor said bioidenticals would be WAY TOO expensive.

she suggested an estrogen patch. She said it is synthetic. I pick up the script next week. I don't know what brand it is or anything.

I was worried about it being "synthetic". She usually starts patients on .1, but because of my anxiety around it she prescribed a .05

Are any hystersisters using an estrogen patch with synthetic estrogen?

What are your thoughts and feelings on it?

thanks a bunch!
I have been on estrogen (estradiol patch 0.5) for alittle over a year.. I'm only 31 and therefore I also use a Evamist (estrogen spray).. So far IT'S ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I'VE DONE AS FAR A MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS GO.. AND @ The moment I have experienced no side effects.. Best of luck to u
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM

my personal experience has been very good with the Vivelle patch, .075 however I'm a year out and considering going up to .1 - I have no hot flashes, no night sweats but I am warmer at night which I actually love ! I also happen to be on lexapro for a mood disorder so that may be helping me out as I've heard people have a lot of success with antidepressants and estrogen. Overall I have not had my life turned upside down by drastic symptoms of low estrogen and have had no negative side effects from Vivelle.
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
I wonder if your Dr is thinking of just bioidentical creams and thinking patches are synthetic because they are more commercial? I'd be interested in which patch she actually prescribes, to see if it truly is a synthtic. It would be good to know what that might be. Let us know which patch it is, I'll be waiting to hear back.
I picked up my prescription today and it is Alora (estradiol) patch. .05mg. I am supposed to put one on on Wednesdays and then put a new on on Sundays.

echodog and endowoman, thanks for sharing your experiences!

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Estradiol is actually bioidentical estrogen. So your Dr is probably using "bioidentical" to meam the custom creams, and is thinking of these patches, which actually are bioidentical, as "synthetic", because they are pre-made or standardized or some similar thinking. I do fine on my estradiol patch (Climara), and I hope you have good results with yours.
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
Estradiol is actually bioidentical estrogen. So your Dr is probably using "bioidentical" to meam the custom creams, and is thinking of these patches, which actually are bioidentical, as "synthetic", because they are pre-made or standardized or some similar thinking. I do fine on my estradiol patch (Climara), and I hope you have good results with yours.
Thanks, greyown. I am going to try the .05 and see how that works. My doctor usually prescribes it starting at 1.0 so we shall see how it goes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register